Time for a new cellphone! Need advice.

A place to talk about all things mobile
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Time for a new cellphone! Need advice.

Post by Skippman »

It's time for me to get a new cellphone. As much as I love my HTC Hermes (Cingular/AT&T 8525) but I'm getting increasingly tired of trying to dial telephone numbers with a touchscreen, it's gotten pretty scratched up, and it won't pair/sync properlly to my bluetooth hands free kit (MyGIG Uconnect system)

To that end I'm trying to find a replacement phone. I have a list of pretty simple requirements. At least, they seem simple to me.

1.) Must be on the AT&T/Cingular network.
2.) Must have a full QWERTY keyboard.
3.) Must have a dialpad.
4.) Must be able to sync contacts and calander to Outlook via ActiveSync.
5.) Must have bluetooth.

Given these requirements a Windows Mobile phone seems to be in order (as my last 3 have been). However, it seems all the Windows Mobile phones I can find either are touchscreen PDA's or are the huge jobs like the Blackjack.

I'm thinking something like the Samsung Rant would be my best choice, but I have no idea if it can sync contacts and calander dates with Outlook or not (something I need for work).

Any ideas?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Time for a new cellphone! Need advice.

Post by DMB2000uk »

Checked out the Google G1?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Unfortunatly the HTC Dream isn't available on the 3G AT&T network. The closest I can come would be the latest version of my own phone, the HTC Fuze. Which, while I'm sure it's a great phone, does not have a real dialpad.

I've looked at the PanTech Matrix but it just feels, cheap.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

We just got a couple new phones in at work though I don't know too much about either atm.

The LG Xenon is a full touchscreen with a kickout keyboard.
The Nokia E71x is a 10mm thick phone running Symbian.
I'm not sure about the active sync (the nokia has something called 'Mail for Exchange' to 'sync your corporate email, contacts, calendar, and tasks in real time' not sure if that's the same) but they do everything else. I haven't really had a chance to mess with either one but the Nokia is pretty damn slick looking. When I get a chance I'll faff about with them at work and report back with my impressions.

EDIT: Also, amazon has the nokia for a penny http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-E71-Unlocke ... d_cp_cps_2

EDIT2: OK, after some research I've just ordered the Nokia E71 from Newegg...hope I don't regret that in the morning. :axe:
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Active Sync is a Windows thing where you can sync the contacts, notes, and calander on your phone with your desktop PC. It's kinda like Intellasync on a Palm device.

I'm not a big fan of the Blackberry style phone. I'm thinking something more like the Samsung Rant

If I can't find something like that with seperate dial keys and a QWERTY keyboard I think I'm going to end up with a HTC Fuze. The problem is, that phones not listed on the UConnect compatability matrix. UConnect is my cars intergrated Bluetooth hands free kit.
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

What about the Samsung Propel? I just replaced a 8525 with one of those.....

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone- ... sku3680288

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

No dialpad and the keyboards just like the Blackberry.

AT&T sure does have a crappy phone selection. Beginning to wonder if my employee discounts worth it.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Darkstar wrote:What about the Samsung Propel?
I personally wouldn't go with the propel. Hell, at work I try my hardest not to sell this phone because they almost always come back. The most popular phones for us atm is the LG Vu and the Pantech Matrix, though I doubt either one is quite what you are looking for.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Have any luck with the Duo?
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

We don't carry it unfortunately, but I believe it's built about the same and the slide mechanism on the matrix is surprisingly sturdy for what it does. All in all, the matrix isn't a bad phone but it's not a PDA either. The duo may be a decent choice but I can't say for sure as I've never really messed with one.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I think the Matrix (Pantech) is a Smart Phone.

Really, I don't NEED a SmartPhone. If there was a good phone with a 3rd party application (like IntelliSync) that would sync my contacts and calander to Outlook I'd be super happy.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Took a second look and there is a Pantech Matrix Pro (which, naturally, we don't carry at work) and that one is a smart phone running WM6.1 but the regular old Pantech Matrix is not.
Skippman wrote:If there was a good phone with a 3rd party application (like IntelliSync) that would sync my contacts and calander to Outlook I'd be super happy.
It think most Symbian based phones have this ability. Not sure if it's just the smart phones but it's the world's most popular mobile OS so you would think so though.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I've never used my phones data features and never really installed any Windows Mobile applications and really only have a SmartPhone in order to sync my contact list, calander appointments, and notes to my Laptops Outlook via the USB cable.

I'd be willing to not use a SmartPhone provided I can still keep syncing my contacts and calander with Outlook on my laptop. I have no need for a data plan and don't want my e-mail on the go. Don't need GPS either.

My current runners up are:

HTC Fuze
Samsung Impression
Pantex Matrix Pro
LG Incite

HTC Fuze
Pros:
Windows Mobile, Full size QWERTY keyboard, VGA display, USB, Active Sync

Cons:
Clunky, No touch screen feedback, Shows fingerprints like crazy

Samsung Impression
Pros:
Excellent Screen, Touch Screen Feedback, Full size Keyboard, Thin

Cons:
Cannot sync to Outlook, no USB interface

PanTech Matrix
Pros:
Slide out keyboard and slide out dialer, Windows Mobile, Active Sync, USB

Cons:
Prone to breaking, seems clunky, non-touchscreen, tiny display

LG Incite
Pros:
Windows Mobile, Touchscreen, Active Sync, USB

Cons:
No keyboard, no touchscreen feedback

So which would you guys choose? What am I overlooking? CAN the Impression sync to Outlook?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I bet there's an app out there that will run in the background and vibrate on click to emulate the touchscreen feedback.

I really do like the look/sound of the fuze.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Well, to open up your possibilities a bit more, check out Google Sync. It's what I use on my phone and works fairly well. Works on most phones, even some non-smartphones. If that's all you need a smartphone for then there's no real reason for a smartphone. You would need a data plan but if that's all you're doing you could probably just set it to manual and use the $5/mth plan.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Wont work for a Samsung phone and I'm on AT&T for my e-mail.

I ended up getting the Impression for now. It works excellenty with my UConnect in the Jeep, dials easily, and is much lighter than my old HTC. The downside is, I still can't figure out how to get my bloody contacts transfered over, much less my calander off of outlook. This thing might be going back to AT&T and exchanged which sucks as I was loving the mobile internet.
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

supposedly the software for the impression will handle the sync.

http://www.att-phones.org/att-samsung-i ... nload.html

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

That appliation wouldn't work with my phone. I ended up calling both Samsung and AT&T Wireless about this issue. After speaking with a Samsung rep I was eventually told that the device can, in no way, talk to Outlook. I've since returned the phone back to AT&T and gone back to my trusty HTC Hermes / AT&T 8525.

After playing with the phone I came across an option for Device Name under the About option in the Control Panel. Changing that has since enabled me to connect my phone to my UConnect via bluetooth. I rule. :finga:
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Too bad I didn't see this earlier, I would have suggested the Samsung i760. It has a full slide out keyboard, number pad, WM6, Active Sync. It does have a touch screen, but you don't have to use it a whole lot.

This would only really be good for Verizon though. So I guess it is a moot point on 2 levels
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Anyone here mess much with Smartphones? I'm trying to find a better front end for the Windows Dialer. Something with larger buttons.