Why I will never fold for Folding@home

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Why I will never fold for Folding@home

Post by hercules71185 »

I have tried for about a week to get the program to work. I have installed and uninstalled about 15 times. I tried following NUMEROUS tutorials on the error code I have including deleting work folder, dat files etc. This is supposed to be an AMAZING program. It's supposed to be the next big thing. I have a great idea for whoever designed folding@home and Seti@home. MAKE IT EASY!! Imagine if this is how it worked and if it is how it's supposed to work then I have been doing run a rounds because of this problem.

Goto a website such as foldingathome.com click on download and install. Don't make you goto an ENTIRE different subscreen dedicated to high performance clients. ON THE SAME PAGE where you have 20 versions of downloads. Have a button that says, download standard, download advanced. Once downloaded click install BAM. Select what you want to run and how much power you want to use.

Instead I have downloaded all sorts of stupid SMP clients, hacks, deleted work folders, Dat files. WTF?

Here is my error, no matter my drivers, my install client, my download site, my version. On top of uninstalling and installing seriously 15 times.
Folding@home has run into a serious error running the core. and will shutdown.
They even don't capitalize the first letter after a period, or just use a comma. It's a program designed by a DAMN UNIVERSITY!

It's not my video card. Because sitting next to me is 2 perfectly fine video cards, an Ati 4870 black knight by ASUS, and a XFX GTX 260 black edition.
Could they or could they not just make it easy? They look like they came up with the idea for this back in 2000, designed the website using the Windows logos from 2000, and then let it sit for 9 years before they used it. You can donate money, but not common sense I guess.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Why I will never fold for Folding@home

Post by InspectahACE »

are you trying to fold with both card int eh same rig or separate ?
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

Use the console client to fold. It's not wise to mix NVIDIA and ATI for folding so you might wanna seperate the two GPUs. Finally, follow the GPU guide on F@H's site and report back.
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

They were both separate. One was last week and the Nvidia after cleaning ALL Ati drivers out was today and yesterday.
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

Now I went on a limb and decided to try to figure it out, because I hate being stumped. Sure enough the cudart.dll wasn't in the same folder. I moved it. AND BAM nothing. Same problem. Core shutting down. WTF?!?!?!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Take your time and read. Folding with a GPU client is not hard to do. Don't get upset and don't give up! Delete everything and start over. Make sure you make folders for everything. Makes for easy start up! If I can do it, so can you! I know you can do it. :partyman:
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

it took me along while to figure out how to get both my gpus folding at the same time along with 3 cpu cores all at once, so don't give up. I almost did. My biggest hurdle was figuring out how to make sure each client got their own perspective work folder so they do their own work instead of steal the work of another client.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

It ended up being some weird WU. I have to restart it like 50 times and delete it to hopefully get a good work unit I guess. It's working as of now. No idea when it will stop again. My CPU has no problems though.
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

Ok for NVIDIA folding, you need the following files:

NVIDIA Driver 18X.XX recommended due to the low CPU overhead
F@H console client from Stanford
FahMon
Follow the guide http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGPUGuide

I found F@H to be easy to set up. I had no errors the first time I started folding. What type of error are you getting? Also what OS?
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

Also it WILL NOT work on the new Nvidia drivers. 186 series.
I had to rollback to 182. It didn't bother me because left for dead and crysis both were slower with the new drivers that supposedly INCREASED performance by 25%!! hah. I was about to try out some old school drivers from 2005 to see if they worked better.
'm on XP 32bit. The problem was drivers, missing dll file, and bad WUs. As I said BAD way to set up something that is heavily used.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

I don't know what was up on the drivers on your end, but I'm using the new 186 drivers and it's working fine for me. least it seems like you got it workin
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I have heard this complaint NUMEROUS times and I have even thought about quitting folding because of the thing STILL being in Beta! They need to make an easy solution that will work, no dos client, windows client, ati client, nvidia client, spaceman client, martian client, etc... They would have and KEEP sooooooo many more folders if they would get off their collective asses and actually make something that works and installs EASILY!

I feel for ya man! Wait till they decide to shut the client down because it is in Beta and they want you to update every so often, but for some reason cant seem to push the new version to your computer automatically and install it for you...that will frustrate the hell out of you!! It does me!

Mike

at least Seti seems to have their act together, just more worthwhile to fold them search the skies ;) Aliens are already among us, just look at Dicecca - HAHAHHHHA :mrgreen:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

Off 1 GTX 260 and 1 E5200 intel, I can fold about 8k PPD.. If they decided to get things going a bit better I think I'd like to have the competition to get up the ranks. I wish Seti@home had a better database and more people or could tally points to Folding@home teams.
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

Are you running the SMP client on your E5200?
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

not even really folding it haha. Just 10% of the CPU What is the SMP client? I have it but, not sure if it's actually the one being used.
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

how do you get it to work? I have it downloaded and it pops up a dos window when I try to install it, And if I click the icon nothing happens. Seriously come on, Seti@home you click download BAM uses 100% of both cores of CPU AND your GPU. Folding@home needs to get it's act together.
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

hercules71185 wrote:how do you get it to work? I have it downloaded and it pops up a dos window when I try to install it, And if I click the icon nothing happens. Seriously come on, Seti@home you click download BAM uses 100% of both cores of CPU AND your GPU. Folding@home needs to get it's act together.
Stop complaining and go check out the guides. It's seriously not that hard if you follow the guide.

First off, get the DEINO client since you're on XP 32 bit. Then, extract that to a folder (where you have Folding@Home? up to you) then run install.bat. Then follow the other instructions on the guide at the Folding@Home site.
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

geokilla wrote:
hercules71185 wrote:how do you get it to work? I have it downloaded and it pops up a dos window when I try to install it, And if I click the icon nothing happens. Seriously come on, Seti@home you click download BAM uses 100% of both cores of CPU AND your GPU. Folding@home needs to get it's act together.
Stop complaining and go check out the guides. It's seriously not that hard if you follow the guide.
Another reason people get frustrated and stop folding ;) There is no EASY guide to follow for some people! I had a guy call me up because he could not figure out how to shut down the computer inside of windows! THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS, well, mostly there aren't ;)

Argh, these discussions get me fired up. We are giving FREE time and resources to this project yet we get betas, software that cant even be shrunk to our toolbar (without outside programs), software that wont auto-update, software that has some stupid expiration date on it...

Hercules - if you really want to get this running - give me a holler on twitter - KnightRid (of course) - I will see if I can get you up and running.

Mike

Dont get me started on Cuda drivers or regular drivers - sometimes they work, sometimes you need the other..LOL
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
skier

Post by skier »

ive had best luck with cuda 181.20, then again, thats with SLI
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups