debra lafave: a teacher who had sex with her student.

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
jigr69
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by jigr69 »

The biggest arguement here, is when a child a child? Do we use age as a rule (we do for most things) or the maturity of the child? (I must add that I am talking about teenagers, not children of 7 years or even 10 years old - although kids are having sex at that tender age - hope mines not one of them. And yes I speak as a parent.)

When I was 12-13 I was going steady with a 16year old girl, now since the age of consent in the UK is 16, that makes by the laws definition, her a sex offender! I was also hanging around people several years older than me, simply because I felt more comfortable with them, than I did kids my own age.

So who is right? The law for setting the age of consent, or me because I felt comfortable with people older than me. (I wasn't hanging around an older sibling either, so thats not the reason.) Remember in the UK the age of consent for many things is screwed up. You cannot vote nor get a drink at a pub, but you can be sent to fight for your country.

The whole thing boils down to common sense, was this 14 year old mature for his age? Did he feel comfortable around people older than himself? Unfortunately, the world is only black and white in a childs eye, the older you get, the greyer it becomes. Before anyone goes off and says she needs a prison sentence of some description, the nature of there relationship needs to be examined. Is it a casual thing, has she done this before, does the boy or has the boy had an older girlfriend, whats the age of people he hangs around with, etc. People mature at different rates, I was maturer at 16 than some people I know at 30. Unfortunately life isn't cut and dry as we all would love it to be, and the law simply needs to respect and take this into account when dealing with such cases....

Anyone who takes the approach that its OK for a boy to be 'seeing' a women twice his age (we all had those sort of dreams at that age), what would you think if it was your daughter? Its the same old problem, a bloke who sleeps around is a stud, a woman who does is known as easy or a slapper or worse. Food for thought!
Pentium IV | 3.3GHz | 1024MB DDR 400 | 74GB Raptor | NVidia 6600 AGP 256MB
Amy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Amy »

Just my two cents...

I think that there is no cut and dry answer, and that's why the laws that are in place to protect those who are not mature enough to make sound decisions are often abused.

Yes, perhaps many teens that are 14 or 15 are old enough to understand the consequences of sex. Unfortunately, there are many that are not -- they are just worried about this new thing they found called a "hormone." That is why the law is in place -- people over 17 are expected to be mature and have a grip on their hormones and make sound decisions. As with most laws, there are the obvious problems that have already been pointed out.

However, a teacher having sex with a student, in my mind, is grounds for dismissal. Not because it is an adult having sex with a minor, but because it is called "favortism." It's like the ranks of the military or supervisors having sex with subordinants.

The law is in place for protection, just like most other laws were intended to be. Just like many (or most) other laws, however, it can also hurt those whom it was trying to protect.
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

Amy wrote: I think that there is no cut and dry answer, and that's why the laws that are in place to protect those who are not mature enough to make sound decisions are often abused.

Yes, perhaps many teens that are 14 or 15 are old enough to understand the consequences of sex. Unfortunately, there are many that are not -- they are just worried about this new thing they found called a "hormone." That is why the law is in place -- people over 17 are expected to be mature and have a grip on their hormones and make sound decisions. As with most laws, there are the obvious problems that have already been pointed out.
exactly!

thank you.

it's impossible to have a law that says that if a kid developed at an accelerated rate, then the statutory laws do not apply.

as for someone at the age of consent having sex with a minor, typically, part of statutory rape laws regulate that there's an allownace of 2 years of age between the two parties and/or if the parents are ok with it.

furthermore, the ages of consent are subjective around the world. in some parts of the world, it's a sbohdan wonderland: no age of consent or ages that range in the underdeveloped ages of 12-15.
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

MCMINNVILLE, Tenn.) - A former elementary school teacher pleaded no contest to having sex with one of her students, a 13-year-old boy, and has been sentenced to nine months in jail.

Pamela Rogers Turner, 28, entered the plea Thursday, allowing her to avoid a trial on 28 charges of sexual battery and statutory rape.

Turner, who had taught physical education and coached girls basketball for two years at Centertown Elementary, had trouble speaking as she tried to enter her plea to four counts of sexual battery stemming from encounters at the school.

She was accused of having sex with the boy at his home and at the school, which runs from kindergarten through eighth grade, between November and January.

"I can't even talk," she told Circuit Court Judge Bart Stanley.

After Turner is released from jail, she will be on supervised probation for the rest of an eight-year suspended sentence. The judge also ordered her to surrender her teaching certificate and said she would be registered as a child sex offender. The sentence prohibits her from profiting from the case and does not allow interviews.

District Attorney Dale Potter has said Turner lived at the boy's house "for a brief period of time when she was moving from residence to residence."

The mother of the teenager in the case previously described Turner as a family friend and said she hoped there would not be a trial. Potter said Thursday that was part of the reason for the plea agreement.

Turner was a college homecoming queen and basketball player who once appeared as a bikini-clad promoter for a professional wrestling match. Her husband, Chris Turner, filed for divorce in January, at the same time she was indicted.
Another lucky teenage boy :)

Alister
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Ahh yes good old TN :)
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

this chick was miss monday nitro (whatever the hell that is)

http://badjocks.com/archive/pamela-roge ... -nitro.htm
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

She's a prett good looking teacher.....and maybe its just me, but how many 14-15 yr old kids don't fantasize about good looking teachers/adults.
One of my friends is a teacher, and last week a 4th grader wrote her a book and brought her a rose.......it happens people, maybe we're just jealous cuz we never scored with our teachers as kids.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

capper5016 wrote:She's a prett good looking teacher.....and maybe its just me, but how many 14-15 yr old kids don't fantasize about good looking teachers/adults.
One of my friends is a teacher, and last week a 4th grader wrote her a book and brought her a rose.......it happens people, maybe we're just jealous cuz we never scored with our teachers as kids.
Spot on... Do you not remember what it was like in school?

I had an Irish language class teacher in school, I tell ya... If I had a chance to get ANYTHING, I would have jumpped @ the chance...

Wel are all jealous....
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

kenc51 wrote:
capper5016 wrote:She's a prett good looking teacher.....and maybe its just me, but how many 14-15 yr old kids don't fantasize about good looking teachers/adults.
Spot on... Do you not remember what it was like in school?

I had an Irish language class teacher in school, I tell ya... If I had a chance to get ANYTHING, I would have jumpped @ the chance...

Wel are all jealous....
LMAO, I know exactly what you mean....we had a Counselor, her name was Ms Sellers, hoooo boy, the school reassigned her because every boy was asking to see her all the time, she was a super sweet lady....but she knew what she was doing.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

ahh to be 15 again...

If the wind changes direction.. you get a hard on ! ;)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

LOL, you are bad man...... but being 36 and having the body of a 70 yr old....i do miss those days
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

yeah..bit younger

27.. going on 40 :)

could still do with some home tutoring tough :-P
Amy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Amy »

You boys are horrible...lol There was a male teacher in my school that a lot of girls fantasized about, and a few girls didn't have to fantasize. He is now married to a girl that graduated 3 years after I did (at least, I know they got married shortly after she graduated -- I don't know if they are still married)
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

there were quite a few teachers that i had huge crushes on... one of whom was ms. morton. she was awesome and sooooo sexy... even when she got married to some d.c. millionaire, i still called her ms. morton. i refused to call her mrs. anything.

another teacher was ms. zeh.... she looked like reese witherspoon minus the pointy chin and plus a nicer butt.
Antonik
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Antonik »

Okay for everyone who is furious with this. Lets say you have a 14yo daughter, and her handsome teacher has sex with her. Even if she wanted it, do you think you'd let the guy go? and teach any kids? I wouldn't.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

was just getting ready to ask the same thing.

I know if it happed to my little girl, accutualy I rather not think about that. but it woudl not be good for the teacher. its wrong for ANYONE to have relations with someone that young. 17 and 14 is still a little iffy but all depends on the people and still basic kids and only 3 years between them, but 30 and 14 just not right.
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

Antonik wrote:Okay for everyone who is furious with this. Lets say you have a 14yo daughter, and her handsome teacher has sex with her. Even if she wanted it, do you think you'd let the guy go? and teach any kids? I wouldn't.
If my son were 14 and had sex with his hot teacher ..... :mrgreen:

Alister
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

wasnt the question, what if it was your daughter not your son.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

I agree with you guys, except in the original topic there is a 14y. boy and a 23y. girl (teacher) and I think there is a difference compared to a 14y. girl and 30y. guy (teacher). boys are generally allowed more at this age than girls (for a simple reason: they cant get pregnant for example). also the age difference is less than in the second case...
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
InFuZiOn
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InFuZiOn »

Exactly my point.

This thread is debating the Debra LaFave case not hypothetical questions which alter the morals and views of what things really are.