4870 fps colapses

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
Valy
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

4870 fps colapses

Post by Valy »

Hello Im playing cod4 game and using different fps configs but still huge and huge fps colapses when im watching over the map etc.. everyone i know with 4780 have permanent 250 fps in every situations : explosions, shooting etc. I have when im in building with no effects about 200-250 and when im looking over map i have sometimes under 100 [-o< ... its not by viruses i have same fps since i reinstalled windows. I really want to have permanent 250 fps becouse its giving some advantages in the game and i bought this card only becouse of it ](*,) ...

My PC : widescreen 24' monitor , K9N ultra motherboard, CPU AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+ 3.0GHz 2x128kBL1 2x1MBL2 89W socket AM2, CORSAIR Power Supply HX520 (ATX,520W,EPS12V,PS2) , DIMM DDR2 2GB 800MHz CL4 (4-4-4-12)KINGSTON HyperX, ASUS VGA ATI EAH4870/HTDI/512M 2DVI HDTV HDMI

maybe is problem in bad components compatibility ?
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: 4870 fps colapses

Post by hercules71185 »

Welcome to LR. And to start off I'm assuming you are saying your frame rate is lower than it should be in cod 4. Right? I'm only getting about 115-125FPS average I don't know how anyone can get 250. Have you benchmarked it using fraps? What are you actually getting? Are you sure that you are not just seeing bad tearing in the screen and need vsync on? Do you have the latest drivers 9.5?

And if you have a problem where your FPS are lower than your refresh rate it has to be hardware since you said that you reinstalled windows. And you won't get an advantage if your FPS is higher than your refresh rate anyways.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

The other people getting 250 FPS are probably running at terrible resolutions (i.e. 1024x768 with low settings). While it sounds like you are running at a better resolution with higher image settings. The CPU that you guys are using also influences the framerate so that might be another thing to look at. 100 FPS is still very good in a fast paced game like CoD so consider yourself lucky.
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

Yea if the OP is getting over 100FPS with an X2 I'd be shocked.
mrmcsmokey
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by mrmcsmokey »

Hi Valy,

Let me sum up your rig to make sure I have it right. You are running a 512MB 4870, a dual core 6000 (3.0Ghz), 2GB RAM and a decent size monitor.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind in regards to your situation. The first thing that I notice is your power supply (520W). The next thing is the dual-core processor, not bad, but has to work extra hard. So here is what I see, you have a power hungry graphics card and a CPU that might be bottlenecking; in other words, your GPU is probably doing its job just fine, but the CPU is getting bogged down. A good clean power is one key to stability, and 520W will get the job done, but will wear out faster; I recommend at least 700W. Also, if you have AA turned on, it may be overworking your GPU, which in turn works your CPU harder. The monitor sounds nice, but HI-DEF demands a lot from the GPU (graphics card).

Another thing I notice is that you say 250fps. As I understand it, you mean frames per second. The human eyeball can only see at roughly 60 frames per second, which is to say that anything above that is wasted.

Here is my advice on software:
Turn off AA in Catalyst Control Center.
Lower your resolution one or two steps.
Disable, or snooze anti-virus software while playing.
Close/Turn off/Disable any unnecessary progams in task manager.
Try using AMD's Fusion program; it will close all unneeded apps temporarily with a click of a button. (http://www.game.amd.com)
Go to http://www.tweakguides.com for other tips and tricks

Here is my advice on hardware:
Add another 1GB of RAM if you can.
Get a Quad-core CPU
Upgrade your PSU to 700W

I don't think you have compatibility issues, I think you are expecting Ferrari performance with a Saab. Keep in mind that the graphics card is only one part of the puzzle; bottlenecks are a huge culprit as well. I hope this helps.

My rig: Phenom X4 BE OC'd 3.2Ghz, 1200W Thermaltake PSU, Twin 4870's crossed max clock, 150GB Raptor X, ASUS M3A32MVP, 22" Westinghouse, X-fi Titanium, 3GB Dual Channel PC8500
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

mrmcsmokey wrote:

Another thing I notice is that you say 250fps. As I understand it, you mean frames per second. The human eyeball can only see at roughly 60 frames per second, which is to say that anything above that is wasted.
And even if you have 250, if he has a basic 24" LCD I doubt the refresh is higher than 60, so anything over 60FPS is wasted.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

mrmcsmokey wrote:A good clean power is one key to stability, and 520W will get the job done, but will wear out faster; I recommend at least 700W.
No. He has a Corsair HX520, by most accounts is better than most brand's 700W.
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

lol I have a buddy who has the 520 corsair powering 2 gtx 260s and it's fine even when you pull a draw and check it with a meter.
mrmcsmokey
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by mrmcsmokey »

I have no doubt that Corsair makes great products; I have owned some in the past. I was just saying that a 4870 under load comes in at 279W, add the 89W CPU, fans, etc etc and you start getting close to the wattage of the PSU. In my experience, you should always go at least 100W over what you calculate in order to make your PSU last longer. Sure a 520 will run GTX's, but I guarantee that since he is a gmaer, which means heavy usage, the PSU will crap out faster, which causes all kinds of weird anomalies. Besides, I was just tossing that in as a possibility because I have dealt with similar problems in the past. Everything was fine in my system, even the PSU was operating at "nominal range" but I was still getting weird occurences, and I couldn't figure it out. I decided to experiment and drop in a 600W TT PSU and suddenly everything was right with the world. Unfortuantely with computers and components, you just never know what the "magic button" will be, we can only make educated guesses. I actually build systems for a living, so I am fairly certain that while the PSU may or may not be the culprit, I was trying to give him a range of ideas to experiment with. Thanks for the input though, I always like learning from other people.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I agree with you there but for his current setup I don't see any problem with his power supply. As long as you buy the correct power supply for your build you don't always need more watts. Hell the PC I'm typing this from has a Phenom X3 in it with an Antec Basiq 350W PSU and it's stable as a rock.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

If your FPS is only just dipping below 100fps at the most stressful point you can find in the game, then you don't really have a problem :lol:

As has been mentioned before, your monitor can only show 60fps because it runs at 60Hz. And the human eye isn't good for much over 60Hz anyway.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

If that's true then why the new 120 Hz montiors and TVs? I can tell a big difference especially in the eye strain category. It's a lot easier to stare at a high refresh rate for long hours, i.e. your computer at work.
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

Major_A wrote:If that's true then why the new 120 Hz montiors and TVs? I can tell a big difference especially in the eye strain category. It's a lot easier to stare at a high refresh rate for long hours, i.e. your computer at work.

If you have a very good quality LCD usually it's fine on the eyes, the cheaper ones or older ones seem to have put more of a strain. When comparing 2 monitors. 1 @ 120hz and 1 @60 I'm sure there is a difference, but not as much as comparing older models. I know CRTs are supposed to still be able to produce the best quality (from what I've heard not seen) But, I can't look at them for more than 10 mins or my eyes hurt and get blurry.
IRQ Conflict
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Even with a QX9650 your only going to see between 70-100 FPS at high quality and ultra high quality. Major_A was correct. If someone is getting FPS twice that you can be guaranteed he/she is running at half the resolution/IQ that you are. Take a look here.

I'd say you are doing fine. If you are getting stuttering in game it might be the driver. Try and find an older/newer driver that people report as being good for the game(s) you play.
-Rampage- Motherboard: Asus Rampage Formula CPU: Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz Cooling: OCZ Vendetta 2 Ram: 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 5-5-5-15 @ 540Mhz Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB/4x 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 Raid 0 Power Supply: PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad Case: Antec P180B Monitor: Syncmaster 245T OS: Vista 64bit
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

IRQ Conflict wrote:Even with a QX9650 your only going to see between 70-100 FPS at high quality and ultra high quality. Major_A was correct. If someone is getting FPS twice that you can be guaranteed he/she is running at half the resolution/IQ that you are. Take a look here.

I'd say you are doing fine. If you are getting stuttering in game it might be the driver. Try and find an older/newer driver that people report as being good for the game(s) you play.

Those tests were done on very old drivers the date is almost a year ago. Still I agree no way they are getting 250FPS on a similar build.
Valy
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Valy »

so if i understand good, ure saying my PCis weak for 250 fps. thats really sick for me becouse 3/4 of my PC was new and i worked hard to get money for it, it wasnt cheap.. and my only wish as i will have 250 fps on cod4 :toimonster: anyway thx for help guys
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Do you understand that your monitor physically cannot display anything over 60fps?

So if you're getting 80fps or 250fps there is no difference between what your monitor will display.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Couldn't have said it better Dan..technically if you get that many fps, bump up the eye candy. if it slows down then, back off on it a tad until the performance/apperance is what you want. I have no slowdown on either cod4 or 5 on my rig no matter how much action is going on, but I sure don't get 250 fps lol.. no slowdown is all that should matter really.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Valy
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Valy »

i dont need 250 fps coz its better for eye, i said i need 250 fps becouse its giving advantages ... its different in every game and normal player ussualy dont know about it ... for example in quake if u have stable xx fps (i dont know how much is it) u jump higher , in cod4 when u are on 125 fps u are shooting a bit faster and when u are on stable 250 u can run with no sound ( its something like a bug ) i dont really care about bugs but this is in match huge and huge advantage and many "pro" players have it and its bad when they can run around with no sound and u must crouch 10x slower for doing no noise
IRQ Conflict
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

English is not your first language is it? Sounds like you may be suffering from input lag. Try ATI Tools to set Flip Queue Size. Take a look at this guide.

I am sorry, but you are very hard to understand.
Last edited by IRQ Conflict on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Rampage- Motherboard: Asus Rampage Formula CPU: Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz Cooling: OCZ Vendetta 2 Ram: 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 5-5-5-15 @ 540Mhz Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB/4x 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 Raid 0 Power Supply: PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad Case: Antec P180B Monitor: Syncmaster 245T OS: Vista 64bit