Proud dad

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Proud dad

Post by bubba »

Ok, for my daughters 10th birthday I picked her up a PINK .22LR Crickett rifle. Crickett makes youth rifles, great for learning curves. Well we got to the range today and of course today was the first decent day in almost a month around STL so everyone and their 3rd cousin was there on the rifle range sighting in stuff or practicing. So we ended up on the pistol range shooting at the steel plates they have set up there. Fine with me, she can hear it hit the plate and she likes that LOL

Up until today she had never shot a rifle, pistol yes, rifle no. So there was a little learning curve. After about 10 rounds she was hitting the plates consistently. What impressed me was its a 6 inch plate at 50 yards :mrgreen: after those first ten she sent another 90 rounds down range, only missing a few at the end. She was getting tired and was pulling shots.

Some pics

Her and me

Her first .22 next to my first .22 an old Remigton Range Master. Gives a real feel for how much shorter the Crickett is LOL
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Proud dad

Post by stev »

Way to go!

Every young girl needs a rifle to practice with.

My daughter will need another three more years to reach that milestone. Thanks for the heads up and the PINK color coordination combination. I'll take note of it. The wife here just smiled at the photo.

That must have been a great day for her.

Depending on your state rules, she may have a 9mm sweet-sixteen birthday in the future.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

It was $115 at walmart, they even have adult stocks so as she grows I can get her a new stock for it.

As for the sweet 16, think'n a car will override a 9 LOL even then I'd push her towards a .40 or .45, mainly due to the .22LR pistol we have for them is a converted 1911 .45ACP.

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/ ... _range.flv
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kappage »

I want a rifle.
Main Rig: C2D 6850 @ 3.0Ghz, 2Gb DDR2667Mhz @ 833Mhz 5-5-5-15 Timings , XFX xXx 8600GTS @ 730/2260 , Gigabyte Ga-945GCM-S2L
JukeBox: Currently in an Upgrade but im too lazy to do it at the moment
I² keepin it real
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

My grandfather just gave my dad two .22 rifles with some pretty decent optics. Haven't shot them yet though.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

kappage wrote:I want a rifle.
A pink rifle? :finga:

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Congrats on your daughters first rifle :supz: . I am looking forward to my son first. Its gonna be a few years though seeing as he will be 2 in the beginning of august. Though I plan to let him use my first bb gun (I don't think it is strong enough to break a window at point blank range) when he is old enough to hold it and aim.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

we started with an Airsoft pistol knock off from walmart. The little plastic BB sting like a mofo but they don't break anything
-Thomas Jefferson
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kappage »

DMB2000uk wrote:
kappage wrote:I want a rifle.
A pink rifle? :finga:

Dan
I dont care even if it had fairies on it... But i suppose soon i get to go shooting with a guy from work, then when i post up pics after slaughtering a wild deer we will see who is the man. :finga:
Main Rig: C2D 6850 @ 3.0Ghz, 2Gb DDR2667Mhz @ 833Mhz 5-5-5-15 Timings , XFX xXx 8600GTS @ 730/2260 , Gigabyte Ga-945GCM-S2L
JukeBox: Currently in an Upgrade but im too lazy to do it at the moment
I² keepin it real
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

bubba wrote:we started with an Airsoft pistol knock off from walmart. The little plastic BB sting like a mofo but they don't break anything
That's not a bad Idea. Though I think my spring powered rifle might hurt less. I always found it fun to watch the bb's hit the target.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

kappage wrote:then when i post up pics after slaughtering a wild deer we will see who is the man.
You could try using a bow :mrgreen:
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

A tear just went down my eye. O:)
DL13
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL13 »

Sooner or later she will be able to out shoot you, so don't piss her off when she is older. :lol:
Congratulation
Gigabyte MA790FXTA-UD5 / Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.41Mhz / Mushkin 2X2GB 1333 / XFX 5870 1GB / Cooler Master HAF 932 / Win 7 Pro 64 / ACER G24 LCD 24"
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by deleted »

I had a .177 which was useful for killing those pesky squirrels!!
GI-JOE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by GI-JOE »

Evasion wrote:I had a .177 which was useful for killing those pesky squirrels!!
So is a .22. Stand about 10 feet inside the window so neighbors don't hear! I tagged a ground hog that way. :snakeman:
-----------------------------------------------------
- CoolerMaster Elite 330
- Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 3.16ghz (9.5 x 333 @ 1.12 volts)
- Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
- 4 GB G-Skill DDR2 800
- Asus 8800GT 512mb w/Glaciator Fansink
- Antec Trio TruePower 650w
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Congrats! Good choice in rifle. Ammo is cheap. If she is having fun, that's all that counts! I think it's great that you are spending time and teaching her at the same time. Great Job!
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Her and me

THIS IS HOW ACCIDENTS ARE PREVENTED!

I commend you for teaching your daughter responsible gun ownership and keeping an American tradition alive. Knew I liked ya for a reason bro!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

When I bought it I prepared for two things, a fight with her mom (my ex) as she hates guns and anything to do with them, and teaching her how to shoot and care for it safe and proper.

She loves to shoot. I noticed that she was stealing the boys NERF guns to play with and my folks got both kids a Vulcan NERF gun (the chain fed NERF gun) and she was more excited then the boy was LOL.

The boy loves shooting to, but he likes the pistol more then rifle and she is the other way round. Which it perfectly fine with me, no arguments on who goes with me to the range on pistol/rifle days. The morning we went to the rage to shot her gun the small 100 yard range was full, and there was a 600 yard match on the big rifle range. We set and watched a little and as we were leaving I asked she if she thought she could hit the target way out there. She look straight at me and said "well, not today but with some practice and a bigger gun I think I can" I smiled and told her "well we will just have to work on that"
-Thomas Jefferson
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

What CAN'T be solved by more practice and a bigger gun?
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
bmaverick
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bmaverick »

bubba wrote:... then I'd push her towards a .40 or ...

I've found the Sig 229 in .40 to be the nicest handling and most accurate of the .40's I've ever shot.

I find the Sig 40's, the 229 and the 239 to be my favorites. Both have some heft to the slide that aids in recoil and controlability.

Forget the 9mm or the full 45. The 40's rule for being the best of both worlds.
My heatware!

Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

Jason: "How much does it pay?"
Citizen: "Well, none of our other sheriffs ever lived long enough to find out."