Which mouse?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Which mouse?

Post by Sporg »

Okay, I'm trying to decide on a new mouse. My Logitech MX1000 Laser mouse finally died :( I've had it ever since it came out and it has been my favorite mouse. I have a Logitech G5 that I use to game with on the lappy and it will temporarily (or permanently) be what I use on the main rig.

So I need another mouse that I can use for gaming. I'm considering another G5 but am also looking at the Microsoft Habu.

So anyone out there have a Habu? If so, what are your thoughts? Has anyone used both the G5 and Habu, if so which do you like better? I've been somewhat of a Logitech fanboy, but am willing to try something else. The Logitechs generally fit my hand better than anything else, and I like their construction (in general).

Right now both of these models have free shipping on da egg, with the G5 being the cheaper of the two. I'll probably order one or the other in a few days (if I don't end up pulling the trigger today).
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Which mouse?

Post by Major_A »

Apparently Razer makes the Habu for Microsoft. If I were you I would go up to Best Buy and put both of them in your hand. Nothing like ordering something sight unseen that you'll use all the time and it isn't comfortable.
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

I love my Logitech MX Revolution.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Major_A wrote:Apparently Razer makes the Habu for Microsoft.
Yeah, I think it was a collaborative effort in design. I'm not generally a Razer fan, but did like the design of this one. Like I said I do already have a G5 that I like. My last adventure with a MS mouse was a complete failure.

Tim Burton wrote:I love my Logitech MX Revolution.
Yep, it's very similar in design to my MX1000. I also saw the MX1100, which looked nice.

I'm trying to stay around $50 (shipping included) and both the G5 and Habu fall into that category.
~Bertrand Russell
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

If you know that Logitech mice fit your hand well and you personally like the model you are looking at then I think it's a no-brainer.

Habu reviews:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Razer/Habu
http://www.hardwareinreview.com/desktop ... eview.html

If this mouse is anything like my Deathadder then it is very light. If you don't like the feel of light mice then you probably don't want the Habu.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Good point. I sometimes like to go outside of my comfort zone of what I am used to, so that is why I was curious if anyone had used it. And I read a few reviews of the Habu that made me think it was comparable to the G5. With that said, the consensus seems to be that it is fairly light. Yeah, maybe I'll just stick with another G5. :mrgreen:
~Bertrand Russell
/dev/null
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by /dev/null »

I just bought my first "Gaming mouse" a month ago, its an mx518 and is absolutely wonderful. it runs up to 1800dpi now because they upgraded the sensor too, and the polling rate is finally adjustable on it, which never worked before with older 518's i hear. I set mine to 500hz @ 1800 dpi, as im a very high sensitivity player and its absolutely wonderful so far. Before that I used a MS WheelMouse Optical 1.1a USB for 5+ years with the polling rate set to 500hz and did incredibly well with that $7 mouse.

Good luck finding one that fits you and check out ESReality's Mousescore 2007 for a good (but a couple years old) write up on gaming mouse and what makes them better performers.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

If you are used to a high DPI mouse, don't get the MX Revolution.

I went from a razer diamondback to the MX Revolution, and I had a hard time getting on target for FPS games.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
lukeqsee
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by lukeqsee »

/dev/null wrote:I just bought my first "Gaming mouse" a month ago, its an mx518 and is absolutely wonderful. it runs up to 1800dpi now because they upgraded the sensor too, and the polling rate is finally adjustable on it, which never worked before with older 518's i hear. I set mine to 500hz @ 1800 dpi, as im a very high sensitivity player and its absolutely wonderful so far. Before that I used a MS WheelMouse Optical 1.1a USB for 5+ years with the polling rate set to 500hz and did incredibly well with that $7 mouse.

Good luck finding one that fits you and check out ESReality's Mousescore 2007 for a good (but a couple years old) write up on gaming mouse and what makes them better performers.
I also use the mx518 and love it. It take a bit of getting used to the thumb grove, but other than that it is a great.

Luke
Athlon 64 X2 5600+ @ 3GHz - Asus M2N-E SLi - 4 GB Crucial DDR2-800 - MSI TT Geforce 8600 - Centurion 5 - 17" Samsung 713n LCD - CoolerMaster eXtreme Power 600w
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Hehe, I ended up buying another G5. Like someone else pointed out I already have one and like it. Thanks for the replies.
~Bertrand Russell
Digerati
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Digerati »

You made the right choice. I've used a plethora of mice, and I have yet to find a mouse better than the G5. It's a great mouse!
mr_noname111
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by mr_noname111 »

vicaphit wrote:If you are used to a high DPI mouse, don't get the MX Revolution.

I went from a razer diamondback to the MX Revolution, and I had a hard time getting on target for FPS games.
I think it's more about the mouse itself than just the DPI. I mean, with my G5, I notice no difference between using 2000DPI with a slower cursor speed and 800DPI and a faster cursor speed.

Anyone else think so?
Main Rig: E8400@3600mhz, Asus P5Q, OCZ 4GB, EVGA GTX260 216, Corsair HX520, Antec 300, Samsung 2443BW
HTPC1: E5200@2500mhz, EVGA 780i SLI, OCZ 2GB, Asus 9600GSO, OCZ GameXStream 600W, LG 47LG70 LCD TV
HTPC2: E6500@3300mhz, DFI DK X48 T2RS, Kingston 2GB, Palit 9800GT Green, BFG 550W, Acer H5360 720p 120hz Projector
bhelms
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by bhelms »

Ah man, I've never looked into a mouse that much. The DPI and all that. Ya'll got me nervous now cause I'm about to have to get another mouse and I don't want it to mess with my gaming or just feel weird. I've always just used a kensington mouse.

I was thinking about getting a decent gaming mouse but now I'll probly just get another of the same type haha.
EVGA 750i FTW // E8500 // EVGA GTX260 core216 OC // 4GB G.Skill DDR2 1066mhz // 150gb WD Raptor // Corsair TX 750w // Antec 1200
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

mr_noname111 wrote:I notice no difference between using 2000DPI with a slower cursor speed and 800DPI and a faster cursor speed.

Anyone else think so?
Really? I notice quite a bit of difference. What size of a monitor are you using? I would assume that the larger the monitor the more you notice it, but I could be wrong. I'm running a 24" LCD and notice a substantial difference when switching between higher and lower dpi.

Anyway, for anyone looking for a good gaming mouse I would have to recommend the G5 (own 2 of them now). The adjustable weight cartridge is a nice touch too. I am used to a mouse with a bit of weight to it, and this gives you the ability to adjust the weight to what feels good for you. Also, you can't go wrong with the price. I picked up each of them from the egg with free shipping and just a bit over $40 - so from my perspective that's a win.

I also ended up picking up a Rocketfish pad to use as a gaming surface. I've been gaming on this desk for 9 years now and let's just say that you know exactly where I use the mouse. The surface is so rough that even the laser mice are having some issues tracking on it.

[edit: OMG, have had this desk for 9 years...]
~Bertrand Russell
mr_noname111
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by mr_noname111 »

I'm also using a 24" monitor 1920x1200. Using a Razer Destructor mousepad. It could just be that my senses are not very sharp :shock: But higher DPI doesn't feel any smoother or more responsive for me.. I dunno.
Main Rig: E8400@3600mhz, Asus P5Q, OCZ 4GB, EVGA GTX260 216, Corsair HX520, Antec 300, Samsung 2443BW
HTPC1: E5200@2500mhz, EVGA 780i SLI, OCZ 2GB, Asus 9600GSO, OCZ GameXStream 600W, LG 47LG70 LCD TV
HTPC2: E6500@3300mhz, DFI DK X48 T2RS, Kingston 2GB, Palit 9800GT Green, BFG 550W, Acer H5360 720p 120hz Projector
commenda
Legit User
Legit User

Post by commenda »

I'm happy with my Razer DeathAdder.