Other hobbies

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Other hobbies

Post by bubba »

well aside form computers and guns, I have RC cars. Spent lunch today tweaking my RC crawler.

So what is your other non-computer hobbies?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Other hobbies

Post by Illuminati »

Amy and I make our own wine. I'll post up a pic of our home made wine bench that holds over 120 bottles of wine and all of our current batches that are fermenting or aging. :)

Right now we are making a Chardonnel Port, Banana Wine, Strawberry Wine, and Mead (to be blended with the Strawberry Wine). This is the most concurrent batches of wine we have ever had going on at the same time!

Great thread topic, Bubba!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I have several hobbies myself. Everyone knows about my passion for home theater.

In addition to that I work on my 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I've installed new front and rear bumpers, a suspension lift, and dozens of other little mods-and-ends.

I do some home remodeling when I have the chance. I remodeled my kitchen recently and here's a couple pictures of the work I did. I wish I still had some before pictures. I installed a new solid porcelan tile floor, all new cabinets, all new granite counter tops, all new plumbing. I made sure to put seperate hot and cold shut offs for the dish washer, sink, and ice maker. New appliances except for the dishwasher. I painted the whole room from a off white eggshell to that shade of red you see. Even did my own electrics.

I also do Geocaching but can not seem to find any pictures of that at this time. I've cached all over Missouri. We did Sam A. Baker State Park last weekend. Had a great time. Hiked about 4 miles. My legs were covered in Seed Ticks and it looks like I have the measels. lol
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

I'm a Shutterbug and DVD Movie/TV Show Addict
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

I think I need to pick up a new hobby. After reading this thread I realized computers is my only hobby/addiction anymore. I used to be into anything r/c planes, cars, and boats. I used to race slot cars. Now it's my son, then computers. Still got the Motorcycle though.
kappage
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kappage »

Mine would be my VolksWagen that is slowly being completed, i managed to get the steering up and lined up, dropping off two land cruiser rims to get re drilled today so they will get put on the back and give it another two or three inches, then since im doing this its going to have a ton of extra pressure on the Gearbox so i ahve been told i need to find a 2 Litre Kombi box to put in it because they are meant to be indestructable!! Then if i ever get time ive got to design a sort of windmill to turn an alternator to constantly charge up some car batteries at the farm. On top of all this i work 7 till 4 both days on the weekend and i am studying full time during the week. Its very hard to find time off :)
Main Rig: C2D 6850 @ 3.0Ghz, 2Gb DDR2667Mhz @ 833Mhz 5-5-5-15 Timings , XFX xXx 8600GTS @ 730/2260 , Gigabyte Ga-945GCM-S2L
JukeBox: Currently in an Upgrade but im too lazy to do it at the moment
I² keepin it real
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

Cooking! as a matter of fact ive perfvected my pomodoro recipe tonight!
the only problem is that my recipe calls for 1/4 bottle of dark red wine and all my folks had was merlot and ive been sipping theo ther 3/4 along with my rum and cokes.

other than cooking im into drinking, beer pong (woot UNT mean green!), film, flash game making, and amateur game development.

here4 are some of my games i made last smester that i decided to put onloine with ads to try and make some money b ut ive only made 44 cents so far.

http://games.mochiads.com/c/g/bloxes/bloxesv2.swf
http://games.mochiads.com/c/g/protect-t ... empkin.swf
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

I've had a couple over the years and the only one that really stuck was paintball. It gets real expensive and after I hurt my right knee I've kind of slowed down. I still have a snowboard, climbing gear and golf clubs that I only used 7 or 8 times.
bmaverick
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bmaverick »

I'm into Amateur Radio.

Mostly 2M mobile and hand-held communications.

My heatware!

Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

Jason: "How much does it pay?"
Citizen: "Well, none of our other sheriffs ever lived long enough to find out."
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

bmaverick wrote:I'm into Amateur Radio.

Mostly 2M mobile and hand-held communications.

HA YES!!! I was going to post the same thing!
Here are my pics from my old apt setup to my current trailblazer setup
http://pics.whatthefogt.com/main.php?g2_itemId=965

Kristin and I have taken up trying different wines, I dont know if I would call that a hobby just yet though. Other than ham radio its hard for me to have a hobby between school and work. When I graduate, Im sure all my old hobbies will start rolling back.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Why is it that people who are into computers are also into firearms? Is it because while both aren't cheap they are relatively cheap and in the same price range?

2x.30-06
2x.22
1x.380 ACP
1x.45 ACP
1x5.45x39MM
1x.308

There are 4 guns I want to round out my small arsenal, AK-47 (milled receiver and American made preferably), AR15, 12 gauge shotgun and a .40 Kel Tec (need a conceal carry pistol and my .380 is an unreliable POS).

One hobby I really want to get into is learning to play the guitar. I have no desire to be in a band I just think it would be cool to be able to reproduce music.
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

Took have taking up hunting this year. I have yet to kill anything but have gone for pigs and Deer. the times i have gone, other people have gotten stuff though (which is suppose to make me feel better i guess...)
here's a picture my brother got opening day this year. I am heading out next weekend.

I also have season tickets to the San Jose Sharks. when i'm not at the game, I am watching it on the tube with friends.

comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I never understood the appeal of hockey until I went to a game.
1) Even though I knew none of the rules it was entertaining.
2) Fighting, enough said.
3) The girls watching were extremely hot. I haven't seen that quality of girls at an Astros or Texans game.
DL13
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL13 »

Well when I can afford it again I want to get back into RC Cars especially 8 scale racing, I use to have a Losi 8 with is a 8 scale buggy. Faster than a cheetah with the right setup.
Gigabyte MA790FXTA-UD5 / Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.41Mhz / Mushkin 2X2GB 1333 / XFX 5870 1GB / Cooler Master HAF 932 / Win 7 Pro 64 / ACER G24 LCD 24"
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I used to race 1/8th scale, then I had kids :lol: was to friggen expensive. I had a Mugen MBX, and a T-Maxx turned truggy with Gorillamaxx stuff. Now, I don't want to haul everything thats needed to run Nitro. call me lazy :finga: I'll stick to my little electrics. Thinking about getting a brushless setup in an 1/10th scale onroad and doing some drifting for the hell of it.

I like to hunt, been a while since I have been able to go :? this year though I'm going. Here is a shot from the last time I went. Southern Missouri, shot with a .375H&H at ~100 yards.

I have a fair amount of guns, I shoot IDPA comps at a local club here for fun. Currently working on getting my oldest better with her .22 rifle.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
GI-JOE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by GI-JOE »

Dang bubba! A little overkill on the gun eh? :lol:

I prefer using my Model 700 SPS in .308 winchester. :mrgreen:

Another hobby of mine is R/C helicopters, nothing better than tormenting people with a little flying object! :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------
- CoolerMaster Elite 330
- Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 3.16ghz (9.5 x 333 @ 1.12 volts)
- Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
- 4 GB G-Skill DDR2 800
- Asus 8800GT 512mb w/Glaciator Fansink
- Antec Trio TruePower 650w
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

LOL yeah, but he dropped where I shot him :lol: but it was a new toy of my dads I had to steal it :snakeman: Its an Thompson Encore, he's got a .50 cal black power barrel for it too. Normaly I hunt with a .30-06 or .454 casull revolver.

I have a crashed Blade CP (training gear and all) that is a decoration on my entertainment center, never got the hang of the f'n thing. I got blades and stuff to fix it, never got around to it. I got it from my Ex-father in law, he flew the dam thing in the house.
-Thomas Jefferson
GI-JOE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by GI-JOE »

bubba wrote:LOL yeah, but he dropped where I shot him :lol: but it was a new toy of my dads I had to steal it :snakeman: Its an Thompson Encore, he's got a .50 cal black power barrel for it too. Normaly I hunt with a .30-06 or .454 casull revolver.

I have a crashed Blade CP (training gear and all) that is a decoration on my entertainment center, never got the hang of the f'n thing. I got blades and stuff to fix it, never got around to it. I got it from my Ex-father in law, he flew the dam thing in the house.
No doubt that thing dropped him, was there anything left? :lol:

I fly my helicopter in the house. You should consider getting a 4 channel Co-axial helicopter to begin with. Sounds like you started out with a hard helicopter to learn on. :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------
- CoolerMaster Elite 330
- Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 3.16ghz (9.5 x 333 @ 1.12 volts)
- Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
- 4 GB G-Skill DDR2 800
- Asus 8800GT 512mb w/Glaciator Fansink
- Antec Trio TruePower 650w
DL13
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL13 »

bubba wrote:I used to race 1/8th scale, then I had kids :lol: was to friggen expensive. I had a Mugen MBX, and a T-Maxx turned truggy with Gorillamaxx stuff. Now, I don't want to haul everything thats needed to run Nitro. call me lazy :finga: I'll stick to my little electrics. Thinking about getting a brushless setup in an 1/10th scale onroad and doing some drifting for the hell of it.
Did you know that you can get the Losi 8 in electric brushless, that 8 scale is fast as nitro if not faster. I'm kind of looking at that instead of nitro.
Gigabyte MA790FXTA-UD5 / Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.41Mhz / Mushkin 2X2GB 1333 / XFX 5870 1GB / Cooler Master HAF 932 / Win 7 Pro 64 / ACER G24 LCD 24"
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

GI-JOE wrote: No doubt that thing dropped him, was there anything left? :lol:

I fly my helicopter in the house. You should consider getting a 4 channel Co-axial helicopter to begin with. Sounds like you started out with a hard helicopter to learn on. :mrgreen:
Yeah, the hole was surprisingly small, pinky size entrance thumb size exit.

On the heli that might be true, but the price was right FREE. Thought about getting Real Flight to help me in the learning process, the crashes would be cheaper to say the least.
DL13 wrote:Did you know that you can get the Losi 8 in electric brushless, that 8 scale is fast as nitro if not faster. I'm kind of looking at that instead of nitro.
Yeah a lot of buggies/truggies have brushless options or there is a kit, I cant see buying another car right now. The boy is after me to get my Pede back up and running so he can have a Grave Digger to chase cats with.
-Thomas Jefferson