All my files are now read only files

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Keith
Legit User
Legit User

All my files are now read only files

Post by Keith »

I am running windows XP home edition. Suddenly all of my folders are read only and I cannot back up or transfer them. When I go into the folders properties and uncheck the read only box, and close out, it won't change and the next time I open it is read only again?

I am no computer guru and am having problems dealing with this. Can anyone help?
KnightRid

Re: All my files are now read only files

Post by KnightRid »

FIRST - make sure you have ALL of the windows updates - something in my brain says that SP2 fixed this..??

if you have them all then reboot in safe mode and select ADMIN login account - then try changing them.

If that doesnt work - go to a DOS box or restart in DOS mode and do a ATTRIB -r on the folders you want to change to NOT read-only

write back and tell us if any of that works - then we can move on from there!!

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Keith
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Keith »

KnightRid:

I don't know if this makes a difference but...

Actually all my files are not read only files. All my old files are fine. Any new file I create is now a read only file. Something happened in the last week or so so that any new file I create now is read only. The files prior to a week ago are good.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Sounds like a "Read Only" virus has hit your computer. That must be nasty.

:|
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Kaspersky has a pretty good ondemand virus scanner. Run it and see what happens.
http://devbuilds.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

check your folder security options also.

what EXACT new files are read only? files made with Office, OpenOffice, email, notepad,etc?

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga: