In need of a Camera

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

In need of a Camera

Post by XstollieX »

I know we have had a post or 2 on this subject, but tech changes and prices drop. As the subject says I need a better camera. Looking to spend 150-200 and get the best bang for the buck. I know we have some members that are into photography so hopefully I can get some good suggestions.
Thanks
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: In need of a Camera

Post by Apoptosis »

I love the Canon SD780 IS that i just got my other half... It does killer HD video and the pictures are superb. I picked it up for under $155 after taxes, which was a heck of a deal a few weeks back.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

I wish I would have gotten in on that deal. It looks like a hell of camera for the money
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

what type of pics are you looking to take. What zoom range are you looking for. I have a pretty good amount of info I can offer on budget cameras and purposes for the ones I suggest.
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

I'm not an expert on photography like some here, but i have been buying the Canon since the SD550 up to the SD1000 and highly reccomend them. My son always grabs it to do movies for youtube and the video seems excellent as well. I'm not familiar with the model that Nate got but it seems to be pretty much in line with the rest of the SD series.

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

Just got my daughter a Canon PowerShot SD1200IS and it's a pretty nice camera. Easy to use, image stabilization etc.....Amazon had the best price when we purchased it last month.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

I think I was able to sell one of my computers I had as a spare. As long as that goes through I am going to pick up a dslr. Probably the Nikon D40.
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

well, if budget is a concern do not get a DSLR I assure you it will eat holes in the holes in your pocket. Lenses go for a pretty penny to say the least. Why not just get a really high end P&S. I got the Panasonic FZ28 and have had no problems.
they have even nicer ones now like the Canon SX20, or maybe even the sx200. Panasonic has the Fz38 and it's not much different than mine.

I guess it really depends on what you are looking to do with the camera. Portraits and macro? That isn't too bad. But, if you start getting into telephoto setups the camera would be the cheapest thing you own.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Once I get the money in hand I will start researching more. I am leaning toward a dslr for the upgradability of it. P&S you are limited with what you can do. I would like to be able to take fast shots to catch my son doing the things he does and will do. Plus if he ever gets into school plays when he is a bit older, the dslr will take better shots in lower light won't it? I could be wrong though.
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

XstollieX wrote:Once I get the money in hand I will start researching more. I am leaning toward a dslr for the upgradability of it. P&S you are limited with what you can do. I would like to be able to take fast shots to catch my son doing the things he does and will do. Plus if he ever gets into school plays when he is a bit older, the dslr will take better shots in lower light won't it? I could be wrong though.
No you are 100% right, the DSLR has a faster focus, and takes better low light pictures, the only con was the original budget and DSLRs add up in price really fast.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Well the computer sold, cash coming in tomorrow! Though a recent change in our financial situation is dictating that the dslr is a no go :( . Think I am going to order the sd780 today. It is a whole lot better than what we have and half the price of the dslr.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

plus the SD780 is a perfect side companion to a DSLR :)
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

Why don't they just make a digicam with an oversized sensor, say a superzoom with a big sensor. Even if it was a nice $600 it would be worth having the sensor of a DSLR with the focal range of 25-500 and not have to lug around lenses....
eunoia
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by eunoia »

You'll never regret a Canon SDxxx, I know pros with 2-3 high-end SLRs that still carry one in their photo bag. Even if you're not a beginner, there are lots of situations where you'll still use it.
No one would talk much in society, if he knew how often he misunderstands others. - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe (1749-1832)
jakegub
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jakegub »

I just bought the Olympus E-450 on ebay with bing cashback. I got a kit with a camera case, 8gb CF card, spare battery, and some other stuff. It is a DSLR that uses a Micro-4/3rds sensor and it is just about the lightest DSLR available. After cashback I think it was about $350. The pictures look way better than any point and shoot i've used, and I'm a terrible photographer so it's nice to get decent looking pictures.

I justified the expense to my wife by saying we needed a better camera since our son was born.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0GHz
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
2x1gb G.Skill DDR2-800 4-4-3-5
eVGA 8800GT SC with Akimbo cooling Kit
WinXP Pro
Dell 2405fpw @1920x1200

All wrapped up in a Lian-Li PC-G70a
gibbersome
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by gibbersome »

Did Canon every fix that lens assembly problem?

Some of the Canon models, if they turn on while in your pants, the lens assembly could break, rendering the camera useless.

This won't be a problem if you keep the camera in a case.