Built PC, it powers on, monitors don't work!

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Built PC, it powers on, monitors don't work!

Post by Sovereign »

I've tested the monitors on other PCs. I've taken the FX5200 out, plugged only into the integrated Intel Extreem Grafix Too. I've reset the CMOS. Still no luck. I know the PSU is good because the HDD spins up, and the fans and lights come on. Please help!
Sasquatch
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Sasquatch »

You may check and see if there is a P4 power connector on the motherboard, if it's not connected, everything may spin up but you won't see anything.

Does it make any beeps when it powers on? If it beeps repeatedly, you may have problems or incompatibility with your memory. Otherwise you may have a bad motherboard.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

plug in the power cord to the monitor and wall... then plug in the VGA cable to the back of the PC into the correct slot...then click the power button on the front of the monitor!

sorry i had to do that... man I don't know what that could be. How about trying a different monitor on that new PC?
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I just had an issue like that where it was the video card (friends system), everything would fire up, but there was no video. Using the IUntegrated graphics, can you at least see the post screen and get into the BIOS? If you can, just enable the onboard graphics.
If nothing works at all, the the only suggestion I have is the same as Nate's...make sure all the power cables are connected
Soliex
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Soliex »

Does your video card have its own power cord? mine does and it wasent completely plugged in once and my moniter didnt turn on, try making sure its on nice and snug if you have one that connects to your video card.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

i also had the same problem when i tried to fire up my dual xeon system. Turns out that one of the standoffs was making contact with a trace on the motherboard and shorting it out. You may want to remove it and look at all the mount points to see if any need to be isolated.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Sovereign
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sovereign »

I'll look into these suggestions, thanks my friend has been PC-less for months (the horror!) He's had to play XBox.