Having trouble selecting a case

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
shaxs
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Having trouble selecting a case

Post by shaxs »

I am looking to build a new computer in around 4 months. I have put together this tentative list on newegg: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... r=10807045

I am looking to run air cooled and get to around 4 ghz. I need a case with great cable management and good ari flow. Also one that can fit the new 5000 series of Radeons. Anyone have a case they think will work well?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Having trouble selecting a case

Post by bubba »

What are you looking at budget wise on the case?
Tower type... Mid, Full, Super?
Color pref (if any)?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

The 900's a great case to be sure. I run it's big brother the 1200 and I've had good luck with it. Plenty of room for cable managment and you can fit several 120mm fans in there which will help. I would recommend something from the HAF Line by Cooler Master which was designed with max air cooling in mind.

Like Bubba said alot depends on your budget and size restrictions.
shaxs
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by shaxs »

bubba wrote:What are you looking at budget wise on the case?
Tower type... Mid, Full, Super?
Color pref (if any)?
I prefer black as a color, willing to spend up to $250 for a great case. The case will also house 2 more hard drives making a raid 5 array. So with all that hardware, I want to make sure I have enough room. So, a midtower is fine, if it has room. I was almost thinking a full though.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Just checking my email New Egg has the 1200 on sale for 159 and the HAF-932 for 139 and free shipping with the promo code SPETFS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811119160
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129043

If it was me I'd take the HAF over the 1200, more room and a little more in the way of config options for where stuff can go.

The 1200 does have a nicer look to the inside being all blacked out, but for what can be crammed into the HAF I think will out way the 1200.

If you go 900 route, get the Nine Hundred Two, its the second gen 900 and is all blacked out and some of the issues with the OG 900 is fixed, but at $125 it only 10 shy of the HAF and had less room.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

EDIT

What can be shoved into the HAF with very little effort, the guys build thread HERE
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
shaxs
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by shaxs »

bubba wrote:Just checking my email New Egg has the 1200 on sale for 159 and the HAF-932 for 139 and free shipping with the promo code SPETFS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811119160
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129043

If it was me I'd take the HAF over the 1200, more room and a little more in the way of config options for where stuff can go.

The 1200 does have a nicer look to the inside being all blacked out, but for what can be crammed into the HAF I think will out way the 1200.

If you go 900 route, get the Nine Hundred Two, its the second gen 900 and is all blacked out and some of the issues with the OG 900 is fixed, but at $125 it only 10 shy of the HAF and had less room.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
Thanks! It was originally on my list.. I will add it back. I need to take height dimensions under my desk and see if it will fit too...

Also, Are modular power supplies really all the rage and worth it?
shaxs
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by shaxs »

bubba wrote:

EDIT

What can be shoved into the HAF with very little effort, the guys build thread HERE
Question regarding this picture. I htought anytime you sli/crossfire the cards had to be EXACTLY the same... same model, same manufacturer, same ram, ect?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Think as long as the card specs match, manufacture doesn't matter.
-Thomas Jefferson
jebo_4jc
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by jebo_4jc »

I've been taking a hard look at the lian li lancool line of cases.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811112237

#1. Their price is right
#2 They're one of the few that support 8 expansion slots. If you ever go tri-sli or tri-fire you'll need all the slots you can get.
#3. They look good, have good airflow, and great cable management.
shaxs
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by shaxs »

jebo_4jc wrote:I've been taking a hard look at the lian li lancool line of cases.

#1. Their price is right
#2 They're one of the few that support 8 expansion slots. If you ever go tri-sli or tri-fire you'll need all the slots you can get.
Seems like that would be a tight fit for a lot of gear.
shaxs
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by shaxs »

jebo_4jc wrote:I've been taking a hard look at the lian li lancool line of cases.

#1. Their price is right
Have you found a really good review on this one?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Sharp looking case, never met a Lian Li that wasn't worth the money.
-Thomas Jefferson
shaxs
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by shaxs »

On the HAF 932, would it make any sense to get a sound dampening kit?
jedihobbit
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jedihobbit »

shaxs wrote: Also, Are modular power supplies really all the rage and worth it?
Can't say anything about "big" cases as I am a mATX freak, however I am a big fan of modular as you only need to use what is necessary and makes cable management a whole lot easier. :)

BTW did you select a case yet??
DreamCatcher v4.0 DOA >> SG01 Evo, TA790GXE, PII X4 945 (AQ H2O Cooled), BFG GTX280 H2OC, Seagate 7200.10 ST380815AS 80GB, 2 x WD5000KSs, TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF, MODU82+ EMD525AWT, XP Home SP2
Kermit v4.0 VIRUSed >> Ultra MX6, 785GM-E65, PII X4 955 @ 3.70GHZ(air), XFX GTX285, Raptor X, F3-12800CL7D-2GBPI, OCZ700MXSP ModXStream Pro, XP Home SP2
Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE @ 3.00GHZ(air), 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3
shaxs
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by shaxs »

jedihobbit wrote:
shaxs wrote: Also, Are modular power supplies really all the rage and worth it?
Can't say anything about "big" cases as I am a mATX freak, however I am a big fan of modular as you only need to use what is necessary and makes cable management a whole lot easier. :)

BTW did you select a case yet??
Not yet. I am building my wish list. I work for a tech company- been there 2 months. At 6 months, they have a program where they give you an interest free $2000 computer loan and deduct it out of my check over 12 months. Could I shell out 2k for a computer? Sure. But this seems like a much better option.

I have ALWAYS built my own computers. I do enjoy doing it, but I'm at a point now where my free time is precious. So, the crazy thing is iBuyPower can build a computer for the same, if not a tad cheaper, for the same parts.... I'm contemplating it....

However, if I win the contest than this is m00t. :)
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Personally I'm headed for the new Corsair case. But I'm kinda a Corsair fanboy. I just like it's monolithic presence. It's a big, angry black box.

Bubba, how are you liking that radiator your running? I keep reading good things about it and am considering it for my next build.
moon111
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by moon111 »

If you're going to mod, go with aluminum. So much easier to work with.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Skippman wrote:Personally I'm headed for the new Corsair case. But I'm kinda a Corsair fanboy. I just like it's monolithic presence. It's a big, angry black box.

Bubba, how are you liking that radiator your running? I keep reading good things about it and am considering it for my next build.
I like it. Thin and gets the job done rather well at a swallowable price. If I had the room and another 3 NF-P12's I'd try a push/pull set up, but there is just no more headroom for more fans in the HAF-922.

Currently its completely tore apart though. Really pushing the system testing some stuff the Home Depot Vinyl tube got good a warm by the waterblock and relaxed enough it twisted and collapsed on it itself. I took some picks and I'll put them in my thread here after a while.
-Thomas Jefferson
shaxs
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by shaxs »

Skippman wrote: It's a big, angry black box.
HAH! That made me laugh :) It needs to go into an official review somewhere!
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

shaxs wrote:
Skippman wrote: It's a big, angry black box.
HAH! That made me laugh :) It needs to go into an official review somewhere!

Wait until you see what I'm building. I'm calling it Project: Monolith.