looking for new grahpics/video cards

Forum for all the nVidia video cards from the past, present and future!
jackched123
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

looking for new grahpics/video cards

Post by jackched123 »

hey i'm new here and was wondering what would be the best graphics/video card to get in an old asus p5ld2-vm motherboard

thanks
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: looking for new grahpics/video cards

Post by XstollieX »

Alot is going to depend on your budget and on the rest of the system specs. What resolution are you going to be running? What are you going to use it for, is this for gaming or for a work station? I would post up the rest of the system and we can go from there.

Oh and welcome to the forums!
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

When I looked up the board it has a PCIe x16. Meaning you can put a GTX 295 in there if you wanted to. What price range are you looking for?
jackched123
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by jackched123 »

well i couldn't find the power supply at the moment but it looks to be an intel pentium dual core, it also has 2 512mb of ram which i would like to get two 1-2gb of them. its hardrive is a seagate 80gb. screen resalution is 1024 by 768. it would be for a gaming pc.
thanks for welcoming me
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

I would recommend at least a 9600gt or a gts250 for 40 bucks more. Both of those require 1 6 pin pcie connector. Either of those will run most of the games you can throw at it with max settings on 1024x768. You can always get a bigger card but we need to know if your psu will drive more.
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

at 1024x768 won't he be limited by his CPU more than GPU anyways?
What are your plans for your computer, are you planning on just updating the video card and ram and being done with it? Or are you planning on a full system overhaul? The reason I ask is the suggestions are based on the fact you have very limited ram, and a very limited power supply and from the sounds of it a e1XX series intel CPU.
If you are planning on a full system change and just want to do it part at a time and video card first. Determine your overall budget.
Your motherboard is fine for a single GPU set up and most people prefer single GPU. It also seems to not support core 2 duo. Unless you have version 2. If you do you can keep your motherboard and not worry about it and the full system upgrade would be pretty reasonable.

For example.
IF your current motherboard is running a core 2 duo.
Pick up a E5200 wolfdale for $65
IF you are staying with XP you can get away with 1x2GB DDR2 by OCZ, Patriot, or G-Skill for $32, if you plan on using 7 or Vista go 64bit and get the 2x2gb for around $50 for a good brand and ram.
A good PSU that will handle what you throw at her in terms of entry to mid range set ups. A Roswell 600w Around $50.
And video card, if you ever plan on stepping up to a 1680-1920 resolution I'd stick with a GTX 260 or ATi 4870/4890.
A 4870 runs about 125 now, and a gtx 260 runs around 150-165.
Once again budget is everything, if you are looking to spend $300 for a computer that will last a while then that is your best bet. You can always find deals and put it together for about $250.

If all you want to do is run games at low resolution, and not too concerned with a gaming PC.
You still have to upgrade your ram, PSU and video card. Running you at almost the same price.
First step you'd have to do is upgrade your PSU,
then you can think about a GPU, if not you are risking losing everything you have now.
And with 1GB of ram you are looking at a lag from lack of ram with a decent GPU like the 9800gt.
jackched123
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by jackched123 »

well i guess a whole new system exept the mother board would be the best option then. My budget would be about $1000 or about £600. I'd probably stick with xp for this then a couple years later get windows 7. Thanks for help also
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

If your budget is a grand you have nothing to worry about man. You can get a VERY nice system for that much. Like max out any game with no problem system. Or more ram than you could use and a super fast processor.
I'm going to get ready to go out in a bit. But, I'm sure you could get
A good Motherboard with sli
a GTX 285 or Ati 4870 if you are brand picky
A good motherboard and a Quad core CPU like the 9550
a good corsair PSU
and 4gb DDR2
2tb worth of hard drives
and nice case
just a guess but, I'm sure I could make that under a grand.

If you wanted to go with a core i7 or i5 you could probably do that too! You have soo many options with that price. And longevity for sure.