Corsair Obsidian 800D ATX Chassis Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Corsair Obsidian 800D ATX Chassis Review

Post by Apoptosis »

Corsair Obsidian Series 800D ATX Chassis Review

The Corsair Obsidian Series 800D computer chassis was designed to have good airflow, be easy to work in, and to last for several system upgrades. The steel structure has a matte black coating on both sides and the brushed aluminum faceplate looks great. Read on to see how it does for our system build.

The Corsair Obsidian Series 800D chassis is an example of what happens when you think outside the box and design something from the ground up. Several of the design features are unique to this chassis and make it stand out from the crowd. It has clearly done well enough to earn our Innovation Award and we can't wait to see what Corsair is planning for their next case design.
Article Title: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D ATX Chassis Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1036/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $279.99 plus shipping
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Corsair Obsidian 800D ATX Chassis Review

Post by Bwall »

Nice review/preview!! Corsair may have the best case I've ever seen as everything is well thought out.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

The only thing I really don't like is the door on the front...it just seems to get in the way anymore. I'm wondering if that built in SATA interface has any impact on I/O? Typically, the more connections you have, the less efficient the data transfer is but it's a neat design.
Joe
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

NICE looking case! I REALLY like the door at the coolers backplate that is a MUST now a days! AWESOME! I HATE the friggin plastic pins - why do they have to save half a cent on a $300 case? argh.

Now I think you should let that system run for,oh, at least 3 weeks on f@h maxing out everything, just to make sure the airflow in the case is good ;)

Mike

If they can get some good sales on this, I might have to get one of these for my next case!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Thanks for the review. I really like it from the looks of it.

Nice to finally see full support for 2.5" drives! Nice move Corsair!

I really like the SATA backplane and included power cable for that. Very nice move. Do you think Corsair will sell the SATA power cable separately? I'd like several for my computers.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

FINALLY! I was wondering what you'd think of this Nate. Glad to see it gets your seal of approval as this is going to be the base of my next system build. Do you think I'll have any trouble fitting in a Swiftech tripple rad up top? How do the extention cables for the PSU work?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Skippman wrote:FINALLY! I was wondering what you'd think of this Nate. Glad to see it gets your seal of approval as this is going to be the base of my next system build. Do you think I'll have any trouble fitting in a Swiftech tripple rad up top? How do the extention cables for the PSU work?
If I owned a triple 120mm radiator I would have used it, but I don't. A triple radiator should work just fine like the dual rad setup. As for the extension cables.. A couple of the shorter SATA cables wouldn't reach, but one would. The height and cable routing system in this case does eat up cable length, so long ones are a must.
Follow Me on Twitter!
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gwolfman »

Apoptosis wrote:
Skippman wrote:FINALLY! I was wondering what you'd think of this Nate. Glad to see it gets your seal of approval as this is going to be the base of my next system build. Do you think I'll have any trouble fitting in a Swiftech tripple rad up top? How do the extention cables for the PSU work?
If I owned a triple 120mm radiator I would have used it, but I don't. A triple radiator should work just fine like the dual rad setup. As for the extension cables.. A couple of the shorter SATA cables wouldn't reach, but one would. The height and cable routing system in this case does eat up cable length, so long ones are a must.
Still well worth the cleanness of the install. I'll definitely keep this one in mind for my next build.
Greug
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Greug »

Hello,

I was wondering if it would be possible to snap an extra picture of the aditional drive bay below the hotswap trays?

I am kind of curious as to how much room is allowed there for additional disk storage, and how the fan attachment would work.

If its not possible for that, would you be able to say how many extra slots are available there?
Finding that for such a high-end/price case, that the 4 HDD trays is a bit...meager

Thanks in advance!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Greug wrote:Hello,

I was wondering if it would be possible to snap an extra picture of the aditional drive bay below the hotswap trays?

I am kind of curious as to how much room is allowed there for additional disk storage, and how the fan attachment would work.

If its not possible for that, would you be able to say how many extra slots are available there?
Finding that for such a high-end/price case, that the 4 HDD trays is a bit...meager

Thanks in advance!
front_bay_door.jpg
front_bay_door.jpg (11.85 KiB) Viewed 30850 times
If you pull the front panel off this is what you see.
front_bays.jpg
front_bays.jpg (22.02 KiB) Viewed 30850 times
If you remove that door you will find slots for two more hard drives. This will bring the total support of 3.5" drives up to six.

This is what the four drive rails are for - the two drives that go here.
Follow Me on Twitter!
Greug
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Greug »

Thanks Apoptosis for taking the time to get those extra snapshots in;
It does clear up quite a few questions i still had with the Obsidian, and this case starts to look sweeter each time :)
DL13
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL13 »

I definitely like the design of the inside, but the out side is a little plane, it could use a bit modding to sweeten it a little more.
Gigabyte MA790FXTA-UD5 / Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.41Mhz / Mushkin 2X2GB 1333 / XFX 5870 1GB / Cooler Master HAF 932 / Win 7 Pro 64 / ACER G24 LCD 24"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I've been exchanging e-mails with a reader (Gerard) and giving him some more measurements to see if the idea he had for water cooling would work in the obsidian 800D

He contacted me first with this question:
What is the distance in mm from the top of the case to the upper edge of the motherboard. I need to know if my double radiator gtx360, 54mm with fans 2*25mm on both sides can fit up there. 104mm is the thickness of my fan + radiator + fan config.
I replied to him that the clearance was around 4.25" or 107.95 millimeters... That meant it was going to be tight, but should work.

He sent me this picture tonight of his finished system and everything fit inside just fine:
dsc9865.jpg
dsc9865.jpg (106.28 KiB) Viewed 30497 times

A great little system there and I'm glad that our article is helping people out!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Gerard, thats an excellent looking system you have there! We'd love it if you could take the time to post what you're running and any build tips you have for this case. It looks like you're running a triple radiator with 6 fans on it, three pushing and three pulling. Do you have any temps yet?
Athlonite
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Athlonite »

=P~ i like the looks of that case and props to corsair :prayer: i think they just defined what a case should be like maybe other case makers need to take a leaf out of corsairs book
Asus Crosshair V Formula
AMD FX 8320 @ 3700MHz NB/HT @ 2600MHZ
2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 C9
1x Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 9550MHz core 1250MHz mem
1x Pioneer DVD-RW DVR212S SATA
2x Samsung HD502IJ 16MB cache 7200rpm raid0
1x Samsung HD502IJ 16MB cache 7200rpm storage
1x WD2500AAJS 8MB cache 7200rpm storage
Thermolab Baram 1 x 120mm CM R4 90cfm 2000rpm 1x SilverStone 120mm AP 1500rpm 37.5cfm
SilverStone ST75F-P 750W PSU Full Modular
SilverStone RaVeN RV02B-W
VanBoHawa141
Legit User
Legit User

Post by VanBoHawa141 »

I looks really nice from within the case but on the outside it looks pretty simple with a very bland design. I mean they could have at least make some interesting color designs.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I think that's kind of the point. Just like the Lian Li.

All of the "interesting" case designs I've ever seen were always made of cheap plastic or complex metal shapes that just get in the way. I love that I can make the inside of this case a work of art while having the outside be sedate and... well, monolithic.
techking13
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by techking13 »

Looks sweet!
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Not to dig up old threads but I plan to buy this case soon.

Nate, in your review you mention it has room for 3 140mm fans and up to 4 120mm fans.

I count 3 140mm fans (Case rear, bottom PSU heat zone, RAID rack) and 3 120mm fans (top of case). Where is this 4th 120mm fan you mention? I ask as I will likely replace all the Corsair fans with high performance Yate Loons.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Re-read the review :)

3 on the top and 1 under the HDD bays!
Follow Me on Twitter!