Intel Launches TRIM Firmware For 34nm SSDs

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
x.clay
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: Intel Launches TRIM Firmware For 34nm SSDs

Post by x.clay »

Not a bad idea. I really don't want to lose another evening reinstalling windows over this.
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k
Mobo: Asus Z77 Gene
GPU: GTX 470
RAM: 2X4gb G.Skill 1600
OS SDD: Kingston 120 gb SSD
Game SSD: Kingston 128 gb SSD
Storage: Hitachi 1Tb, Intel 80 gb SSD
PSU: Corsair AX 850w
Case: Silverstone FT-03
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The official response we got from Intel:
“Yes, we have been contacted by users with issues with the firmware upgrade for our 34nm SSDs and we are investigating. We take all sightings and issues seriously and are working toward resolution. We have temporarily taken down the firmware link while we investigate.”
Not sure what exactly is going on as I am out of town right now and haven't been following this that closely. I'd not run TRIM for the time being though.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Mad_Goku
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Mad_Goku »

x.clay wrote:I have the 80gb version. I would have to do a quick search again to pull the exact model but it was listed for the firmware update.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium (upgrade). Basically the update went totally smooth but after reboot Windows crashes before getting to the desktop. I attempted a repair but Windows was unable to repair the OS installation. I ended up reformatting and reinstalling W7. I have all my documents on a separate drive so I didn't loose anything other than time :? . After getting W7 up and running again late last night I installed the toolbox and now have it scheduled to run trim on the SSD every evening.
I believe a lot of people run into this same issue because they don't have ACHI enabled....thats where the problem is. ACHI has to be enabled BEFORE the windows 7 install. You can't have it on IDE then install Windows 7, then update the firmware and switch to ACHI because it won't work. You'll keep crashing right at the windows 7 load screen.

So unfotunately if you didn't have ACHI enabled when you installed Win 7, you WILL have to reofrmat to take use of TRIM.

BTW, I have the 80GB drive also and am running the TRIM firmware, all is well.
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz
Asus P8P67 PRO
ATI 5870
8 GB G-Skill Ripjaw X 1600 @ 7-8-7-24
120gb G-Skill Sniper SSD

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

My drive is still fine...

It's the original drive and has had three firmware revisions on it since installing Windows 7 RTM. My OS was installed with AHCI enabled the first time around and all is well. I called Brian Wallace tonight and his 80GB drive is fine still also and he's rebooted his dozens of times since the update and no issues. I've been in contact with Intel and Kingston, who both sell Gen 2 Intel drives and can't wait to hear the final answer to what is causing this or at least what the fix might be.

I did just recently start to get this error when I fire up the Intel toolbox though:
intel_error.jpg
intel_error.jpg (19.86 KiB) Viewed 14390 times
If I click continue 100 times it goes away and the toolbox is then fully functional... odd that it just started doing that.
Follow Me on Twitter!
Mad_Goku
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Mad_Goku »

Also just to note...i have not installed the Toolbox and I am working fine...about 15 reboots since.
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz
Asus P8P67 PRO
ATI 5870
120gb G-Skill Sniper SSD

FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Mad_Goku wrote: ACHI has to be enabled BEFORE the windows 7 install. You can't have it on IDE then install Windows 7, then update the firmware and switch to ACHI because it won't work. You'll keep crashing right at the windows 7 load screen.

So unfotunately if you didn't have ACHI enabled when you installed Win 7, you WILL have to reofrmat to take use of TRIM.
That's not true at all. There are registry settings you can change to switch back and forth between IDE and AHCI - do a Google search, the info is all over. I'm not sure if Intel specifically requires AHCI (I know they recommend it) but AHCI is not required for SSD's. I have actually be researching it a bit lately and there is really no performance difference with AHCI vs IDE and NCQ doesn't appear to have any benefits thus far.
Joe
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

FZ1 wrote: I have actually be researching it a bit lately and there is really no performance difference with AHCI vs IDE and NCQ doesn't appear to have any benefits thus far.
Are you kidding me? Best look at the benchmark results on this page... AHCI is the way to go

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1022/11/
Follow Me on Twitter!
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Honestly, that is the only benchmark I have seen with IDE vs AHCI where there is a substantial different. I haven't seen one other benchmark comparison that shows anything more than a negligible different. That score seems like an anomaly to me since it was only one test on that run that showed different and it is that particular benchmark app.
Joe
spitter
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by spitter »

Apoptosis wrote:My drive is still fine...

It's the original drive and has had three firmware revisions on it since installing Windows 7 RTM. My OS was installed with AHCI enabled the first time around and all is well. I called Brian Wallace tonight and his 80GB drive is fine still also and he's rebooted his dozens of times since the update and no issues. I've been in contact with Intel and Kingston, who both sell Gen 2 Intel drives and can't wait to hear the final answer to what is causing this or at least what the fix might be.

I did just recently start to get this error when I fire up the Intel toolbox though:
intel_error.jpg
If I click continue 100 times it goes away and the toolbox is then fully functional... odd that it just started doing that.
Sounds like a problem I had with my first mlc ssd drive, any way to check which firmware revision you have on the drive when you get that error, also delete a few folders and uninstall a program and reboot and see if they come back.
Mad_Goku
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Mad_Goku »

FZ1 wrote:
Mad_Goku wrote: ACHI has to be enabled BEFORE the windows 7 install. You can't have it on IDE then install Windows 7, then update the firmware and switch to ACHI because it won't work. You'll keep crashing right at the windows 7 load screen.

That's not true at all. There are registry settings you can change to switch back and forth between IDE and AHCI - do a Google search, the info is all over. I'm not sure if Intel specifically requires AHCI (I know they recommend it) but AHCI is not required for SSD's. I have actually be researching it a bit lately and there is really no performance difference with AHCI vs IDE and NCQ doesn't appear to have any benefits thus far.
So then I'm guessing you would need to change the registry to AHCI first, then reboot and change the BIOS settings? I just reformatted since it only takes about 15--20 minutes now.
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz
Asus P8P67 PRO
ATI 5870
120gb G-Skill Sniper SSD

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Intel has been able to re-produce the issue that is bricking SSDs and is working on a solution to firmware 02HA still...

Here's a post by Alan Frost of Intel's NAND Solutions Group on the Intel community forums:
We have been contacted by users with SSD issues after using the firmware upgrade tool (version 1.3) in a Windows 7* 64bit environment. Intel has replicated the issue on 34nm SSDs (X25-M) and is working on a fix. If users have downloaded 02HA firmware and not upgraded, Intel recommends they don't upgrade until further notice. Intel is pursuing the resolution of this as a high priority. No related issues have been reported by users who have successfully upgraded to 02HA firmware via the firmware upgrade tool (version 1.3)."
Follow Me on Twitter!
Mad_Goku
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Mad_Goku »

That's awesome intel's support for this matter has been great! Although I didn't have this issue, the people who did will be covered.
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz
Asus P8P67 PRO
ATI 5870
120gb G-Skill Sniper SSD

x.clay
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by x.clay »

so for those of us that did brick our SSD during the update, will we need to update the firmware again?
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k
Mobo: Asus Z77 Gene
GPU: GTX 470
RAM: 2X4gb G.Skill 1600
OS SDD: Kingston 120 gb SSD
Game SSD: Kingston 128 gb SSD
Storage: Hitachi 1Tb, Intel 80 gb SSD
PSU: Corsair AX 850w
Case: Silverstone FT-03
DL126
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL126 »

Any new word on this through the grapevine or anything?

I have to 2 Intel drives & 3 Kingstons that need the updated firmware.

TIA
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

the NAND group issued a new statement just now citing “by end of Nov.” for a firmware fix, and listing some instructions for those with new drives waiting til then.

http://communities.intel.com/thread/834 ... S?tstart=0
• Intel has confirmed an issue with the firmware update process for 34nm (G2) Intel® X25-M SSDs (80GB and 160GB). This predominantly affected Windows* 7 (64bit) users during or immediately after the upgrade process to 02HA firmware using the firmware update tool (version 1.3). Intel plans to release a fix for this issue by the end of November 2009.

• Please see below to decide what you should do:

• If you have not upgraded to 02HA but using 02G2 or 02G9 – then use new tool when available to upgrade to new firmware to get Trim support and better sequential write performance (160GB)

• If you have successfully upgraded to 02HA - then continue using the SSD, there are no known issues.

• If you have received a SSD with 02HA pre installed – then continue using the SSD, there are no known issues.

• If you have unsuccessfully upgraded to 02HA - then contact Intel Customer Support for instructions on how to recover the SSD via secure erase or return SSD to Intel for replacement or refund.
Follow Me on Twitter!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Follow Me on Twitter!