Problems with Crossfire setup

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
1stGlance
Legit User
Legit User

Problems with Crossfire setup

Post by 1stGlance »

Ok - I pulled out the second card after days of frustration! Everything works fine now - but I'm still frustrated as **** that I can't get this to work as advertised!

Hardware :
Motherboard Gigabyte Ma790-FXT-UD5P
Bios Version = F6
CPU:
Chip AMD Phenom II 965
Power Supply Corsair Modular 850W
Video Card:
Asus ATI4890 in CrossFire mode
Latest version of Catalyst 10 I believe it is.
MEMEORY:
4 G Corsair Dominator 1600
Running XP/32 SVPack 3
Procedure:
Single card defined in BIOS to PEG for initial display
(tried this scenario with card on one PCI slot then again form the other PCI slot same results)
Added second card - and had intermitted results - worked for a while - but would not display start up screen - and was very slow to get to windows logon.
Computer would not shut down properly - nor boot prperly. Monitor would not display unless I unpluged the cord and plugged it back in (DVI to computer)
During this attempt the Motherboard settings were all stock - no OC - and the memory was at the lowest speed setting

So what am I doing wrong? Has anyone had good luck / working propely with similiar hardware combinations?
I know there are plenty of users that have this working - so it's frustrating that I can't get it to work!!
Last edited by 1stGlance on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
1stGlance
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Problems with Crossfire setup

Post by 1stGlance »

oops missed the obvious misspelled crossfile - crossfire !!!
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

1stGlance wrote:oops missed the obvious misspelled crossfile - crossfire !!!
It's way easy to "edit" your initial post when you have minor oversights like that. If you edit before anyone posts after you, it won't even show up as edited.

Sorry I can't offer help for your problem, but I'm sure someone more capable will come to the rescue. Good luck.

By the way, welcome to the forums.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Problems with Crossfile setup

Post by Skippman »

Have you checked to see if the bios of both cards is the same revision? I've seen problems like that from others who run Crossfire setups.

Also, if they are indeed the same version, and that version is current, you might want to try underclocking the video card memory. That fixed an annoying flicker issue I have with my Crossfire setup.
1stGlance
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Problems with Crossfile setup

Post by 1stGlance »

Skippman wrote:Have you checked to see if the bios of both cards is the same revision? I've seen problems like that from others who run Crossfire setups.

Also, if they are indeed the same version, and that version is current, you might want to try underclocking the video card memory. That fixed an annoying flicker issue I have with my Crossfire setup.

Thank you for your reply

the cards are both the same version / revision

I did run the cards in their stock setup - and as they are advertised to be able to be OC pretty highly - I would be surpsied that the stock setting would cause a problem - but since I have not tried that - then I will add it to my list - thank you
1stGlance
Legit User
Legit User

Post by 1stGlance »

ibleet wrote:
1stGlance wrote:oops missed the obvious misspelled crossfile - crossfire !!!
It's way easy to "edit" your initial post when you have minor oversights like that. If you edit before anyone posts after you, it won't even show up as edited.

Sorry I can't offer help for your problem, but I'm sure someone more capable will come to the rescue. Good luck.

By the way, welcome to the forums.

Thank you _ I did edit it now
and thank you for the hello - welcome ! O:)
ColdPlay
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by ColdPlay »

Hi there!
Im not a hardware pro, but here are some aspects:
1.The powersupply , is is suphisiant? And installation.Check?
2.Could it be a bios failiour? Bios update available?
3.Installed other drivers/programs lately that can interfare? Win 32 or 64 drivers issue?

I have an amd2x4 940 be and 2x Powercolor 4870 512mb in crossfire, works grately!
Hope you get the help needed, otherwise i suggest you contact one of the moderators.
Good luck

ColdPlay
In GRAW2 : stand still and "I will try to 'fix' you" ;-)
1stGlance
Legit User
Legit User

Post by 1stGlance »

ColdPlay wrote:Hi there!
Im not a hardware pro, but here are some aspects:
1.The powersupply , is is suphisiant? And installation.Check?
2.Could it be a bios failiour? Bios update available?
3.Installed other drivers/programs lately that can interfare? Win 32 or 64 drivers issue?

I have an amd2x4 940 be and 2x Powercolor 4870 512mb in crossfire, works grately!
Hope you get the help needed, otherwise i suggest you contact one of the moderators.
Good luck

ColdPlay
thank you for your reply
I believe the pwer supply is sufficient Corsair modular 850W - doesn't seem to have any problems keeping up with the demand.
The Mobo Bios version is F6 - I was told that should be the ones used for this setup...
ColdPlay
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by ColdPlay »

Hi again, sorry I did not read your initial post thoroughly.
Of course you have enaugh power, and everything else seems okay as far as I can see.
I guess somebody else could be of more help, pm one of the moderators like Apoptosis (or something like that :) ).

I did not have to change anything in BIOS when entering the second card, are you sure that is right?
I had some problems with my LCD and dvi/vga cable setup, the HD screen refused to work on dvi in high resolutions.Had to use the vga cable and an adapter! Could it be an idea trying it? Or use a second display with vga/dvi adapter and see if that works?

Anyways, pretty annoying having to use a lot of time on this kind of crap, but I guess you'll learn from it?
Have you tried reinstalling it? Uninstalling all dipslaydrivers, and installing an updated and correct driver? ( I guess you know about driver issues, and how much trouble they can create? )
If nothing else works, I think I would contact the manufacturer and get their opinion. Could it bee something wrong with your card?

Have a nice day, ColdPlay :mrgreen:
In GRAW2 : stand still and "I will try to 'fix' you" ;-)
1stGlance
Legit User
Legit User

Post by 1stGlance »

Sent second card back - waiting on new card - hopefully that will fix the issue. Started getting garbage screen when second card was in.

It did actually work for just a little bit - but shortly thereafter started developing peoblems until screen no longer worked. :(
Took card out and everything is working fine with just one card. :drinkers:

Will update / post after I receive the new card and try again.

Cheers,

B