Off topic, but still computer related.

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Off topic, but still computer related.

Post by hercules71185 »

I have noticed lately the cost of computer parts did not do what I expected. I mean, when the core i7 and core i5 processors by intel came out. I expected the price of budget level CPUs such as the E5200 or higher level q9550s to drop. Instead the price of all of the parts seem to be rising. If this was just processors I'd understand slightly because if you want the top of the line you are willing to pay a bit for it.
I picked up the E5200 for $50 shipped about a year ago. Todays cost is averaging about $65 online and $85 in stores for the same processor. The q9550 was down to $259 about 8 months ago and rose up to $319. It's finally falling again for the quads. But, I expected more.

Video cards is another rising market. I got my GTX 260 black edition for $115. Now the going rate is about $170+....
I guess the reason I wrote this is I felt it was very odd that my computer parts gained value this year.... I should have put more money into stocks.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Off topic, but still computer related.

Post by Apoptosis »

the economy is getting better and sales are increasing again. Many companies cut production way back from fall of 2008 to fall of 2009, so many companies have a shortage of parts right now.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

Plus with Intel losing 1.25 billion to AMD do not expect their prices to drop drastically.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
hercules71185
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hercules71185 »

That's what I mean. Think of it from a stand point of owning intel. What would your primary goal be? Run AMD out right? To me the easiest way to run them out would be sacrifice a temporary loss. 2 billion maybe 4 at most. (chump change right?) If they would drop the price so competitively like the q9550 for $125. The E5200 for like $20 shipped. They would lose money, but if they prevented AMD sales for a year or 2 they would at least be way ahead still. But that would only work before AMD acquired ATi.