Quad core in a mini ITX case?

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
sircanegiem
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Quad core in a mini ITX case?

Post by sircanegiem »

So I think it's finally time that I get a quad core instead of a duo, but I'm concerned about heat in my APEX MI-008 mini ITX case! There's only about 40mm of clearance for a cooler, so I'm absolutely stuck with the stock Intel low profile HSF. ](*,)

Would this make a Q6600 CPU overheat? I also have two 80mm fans blowing on the heatsink, mounted on the side of the case. (see pictures)

If it helps any,
I'm using an E5200 @ 3.2GHz atm
Idle temp is 28-32°C and stressed with ORTHOS it heats up to 72°C
Non-synthetic 100% load (gaming, compressing files) it only reaches ~56°C
Attachments
Outside view
Outside view
HPIM2148 tricool.jpg (208.6 KiB) Viewed 6819 times
Inside showing Intel HSF & fans blowing on it
Inside showing Intel HSF & fans blowing on it
HPIM2137.JPG (212.53 KiB) Viewed 6819 times
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Quad core in a mini ITX case?

Post by ibleet »

To me it looks as if it would be fine, just don't overclock it. If you're that concerned about heat, then just undervolt it at stock speeds and that will lower the temps even more.
I have a Q6600 at 1.1v and it is cool and stable at 2.4Ghz using the stock cooler.
Be sure to activate C1E and turn speedstep off. Your other option is to leave the vcore at auto and enable both C1E and Speedstep.

And yes, undervolting is safe, just make sure its stable using Prime, OCCT, etc...
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

i agree with ibleet ..but......

I would replace the tricools with a higher quality fan. the tricool is the stock case fan that is in most of my cases and i have been replacing them left and right as they freeze up.

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Or you could just nix your optical drive, get a USB DVD-RW, and get yourself a decent cooler :drinkers:
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
sircanegiem
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by sircanegiem »

Thanks for the feedback! So it looks like it is at least a possibility.
It looks like my overclocked E5200 has an 84w TDP according to PSU calculator pro. Does that mean the Q6600's 85w TDP would produce similar heat? (e.g. the E8400 claims a 65w TDP but consumes more power than other 65w C2D's at load)
ibleet, you mentioned turning on or off C1E and speedstep, how are those changed?
If you're that concerned about heat, then just undervolt it at stock speeds and that will lower the temps even more.
The Zotac 9300 ITX motherboard only gives overvolting options for the components so I wouldn't be able to undervolt it ](*,) I haven't updated the BIOS in a few months though, so I'll do that tonight and see if they added that feature.
Or you could just nix your optical drive...
That's the power supply that's sitting on top of the heatsink xD I believe I measured 40mm clearance when I was installing the stock Intel HSF, and the only aftermarket coolers I've found have been 46mm and up. x_x
I would replace the tricools with a higher quality fan.
BTW I put a 22 ohm resistor on both to slow them down and they're almost always turned down to low, so should that be sufficient to keep them running? I mainly picked them because I had nowhere to put a fan controller in the case, so being able to flick the switch to high and low is extremely handy :)
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

sircanegiem wrote: ibleet, you mentioned turning on or off C1E and speedstep, how are those changed?
From my google search on the matter:

To get advanced options (memory timings, etc.) hit ctrl-F1 in main menu.

For advanced BIOS features / CPU features > press F4 and C1E support appears.

You can also try this site if you need additional help.
sircanegiem
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by sircanegiem »

Thanks, wasn't sure if they were BIOS features or not 8-[ I'll take note of that and maybe grab a quad core next week, after I convince myself that it's worth it :lol:

BTW I checked the BIOS and still no luck on undervolting. Zotac should know that HTPC boards need undervolting features D:
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Ya, I am sorry but I've never had or worked with Zotac boards/bios before. Normally in the tweaking section of any bios, you have the option to manually set your voltages, whether it be to over or under-volt your components. Good Luck.