Thermaltake SD100 mini ITX Home Theater Chassis

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Thermaltake introduced the SD100 to target the Mini-ITX home theater HTPC market. With a sleek, glossy black exterior and well ventilated interior, the SD100 is designed to be functional while blending into the rest of a high tech home theater setup. Read on to see what we think of this budget friendly $85 case!

Thermaltake's SD100 small home theater chassis stands out as a case that blends in extremely well. Think about that for a moment. The glossy black finish, the small footprint, and the silver buttons make for a computer case that would make any home theater setup look better without drawing much attention. For installation, Thermaltake did an excellent job designing the interior to maximize cooling while giving users enough room to fit components easily. With solid construction, a great air filter, and quiet fans, the SD100 serves as a great entry level HTPC case.
Article Title: Thermaltake SD100 mini ITX Home Theater Chassis
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1133/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
skier

Re: Thermaltake SD100 mini ITX Home Theater Chassis

Post by skier »

one thing, it looks like a newer VCR :lol:

cool little box though
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
little_tea_pot
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by little_tea_pot »

I've built two HTPC's with the Compucase version of this case.. One with the 120w and the other with the 200w power supply, and both are half the price.
TooT! TooT!
eden999
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by eden999 »

This one's quite different, usualy htpc cases are laid out on the side, and not upright. I don't like how it's upright, since you can't stack i on your dvd player or other component.
Orville
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Orville »

This is a fair looking box, but which late model video cards will fit in it, if any? We all know that no AMD IGP northbridge provides complete 7.1 audio via HDMI and no Intel IGP video is worth a damn, so both of those require a PCIe x 16 graphics board to output Blu-ray video and high quality audio. Is this box designed only for an Nvidia husky 65nm Ion motherboard? Maybe so. One more thing-is there a PSU available for the box that has an A.C. power switch, at extra cost even? I don't buy any equipment that makes me unplug it to turn it off, so this leaves out Flex ATX PSUs.
JMMD
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by JMMD »

Kind of reminds me of a old VCR in some of those pictures. Not the look I would go for in my HT.
AbyssNOLF
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by AbyssNOLF »

I will agree that the case does look like a newer VCR, but it still comes off as highly polished and I think it does well blending with other components. As the review pointed out, it doesn't have much additional flair to set it apart as an HTPC case, but what it does, it does well. I would also agree that it's not the cheapest option, and there are plenty of competitors offering similar packages for less. Still, after all my scouring of similar cases in similar or lower price ranges, there is something to say about that largely indefinable quality of elegance that the SD100 seems to have.

The case does not have slots for expansion cards, so it's designed for all-in-one boards. This isn't a problem for the newer Zotac ION boards (and other boards based on the ION platform), all of which can play blu-rays with the NVidia ION graphics platform quite well while also delivering quality HD sound. Of course, if you want to push high-end to the extreme, add-on cards might be necessary, so this case wouldn't work at all for that.

As for the power supply, it has no physical AC switch to turn it off. Furthermore, the aforementioned Zotac boards all have external PSUs (with the exception of their newest F series), meaning the power supply in this case could very well be redundant.