friend needs help

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
goodguy
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

friend needs help

Post by goodguy »

Hi. I was thinking of upgrading to a ssd drive and wondered if they are any good.

I only use my pc for surfing, reading emails, maybe the odd movie, very rarely gaming.

Although the manufacturers claim higher specs for ssd's, people on forums are saying

that in real life situations you would barely see any difference also considering

the price tag you may be better off simply upgrading your system or getting more ram.

I was wondering if i should buy 2 ssd's, one for the operating system, the second

for installed programs and back up, or would i get a faster system by using them in raid

instead. Does mlc and slc play a part or is this more manufacturers hype.

The only other thing i thought is simplifying the whole thing and getting a samsung f3, forget about the ssd

altogether. It is a single platter 500gig high density drive so should be fast, or perhaps

a wd raptor.

What do you guys think.

Thanks in advance. John.
nightblood
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: friend needs help

Post by nightblood »

Having SSD drives will help with load times for programs and the OS. The 2 biggest cons for them right now is their size and price. Not all SSD offer the same performance so if you are going to invest in them make sure you get the higher performing ones.
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sowser »

I have a SSD in my machine because I wanted something quiet but for your uses you wouldn't see much of a difference and the cost is way too high for the little gain you'd see. Since it sounds like you're just using very basic programs I think even a raptor isn't needed. If you want a speed boost then like you said get a little more RAM (depending on how much you have) or do a clean up of your start files and eliminate some of those useless programs running in the background.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
goodguy
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by goodguy »

Many Many THANKS!!!!! for the info. Yes i've got a raptor at the moment, it started making the click of death so have made a rma for return to WD.

At the moment i'm using an old scrap drive, so will need to buy a new hdd very soon.

Just didn't realise they were unreliable.

Am looking for a high density hdd for obvious reasons, the samsung f3 is a single platter 500gig and hasn't done too badly in the reviews

and forums, can you guys think of a better one?

i heard there are some 600+gig hdd, single platter, need a fast one with with good reliability.

Many thaks in advance. John. Sorry, that should be thanks