** Official 2009 F@H WAR Competition Thread **

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
TraceHagan
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: ** Official 2009 F@H WAR Competition Thread **

Post by TraceHagan »

Wifuzzy wrote:
DMB2000uk wrote:I can see why Nate gave up trying to sort out balanced teams :P

I've got to sort out standby/team g swaps, (and by the looks of it take team F down a peg :P ) tomorrow so I shall see if i can do something with you then.

Dan
I guess you have to what you think is fair. I just think you should be aware of the fact that my PPD did not go up because I was sandbagging. I have overclocking every card in my house to the max.......my 8800 gts is running shaders at1980 mhz, the only card in my house not overclocked is my XFX 260 Black Edition wich is HEAVILY overclocked from factory. I have also worked my but off getting friends to fold on thier machines...one of wich may keep doing it after the contest is over. Agian...do what you think you have to...just don't counterfeit all of my teams hard work just because we are in the lead. I am not complaining...just pleading our case. Have a good day all and.....FOLD ON.
This is the same for me. Begging friends, doing favors, overclocking and risking my componets.
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

TraceHagan wrote:
Wifuzzy wrote:
DMB2000uk wrote:I can see why Nate gave up trying to sort out balanced teams :P

I've got to sort out standby/team g swaps, (and by the looks of it take team F down a peg :P ) tomorrow so I shall see if i can do something with you then.

Dan
I guess you have to what you think is fair. I just think you should be aware of the fact that my PPD did not go up because I was sandbagging. I have overclocking every card in my house to the max.......my 8800 gts is running shaders at1980 mhz, the only card in my house not overclocked is my XFX 260 Black Edition wich is HEAVILY overclocked from factory. I have also worked my but off getting friends to fold on thier machines...one of wich may keep doing it after the contest is over. Agian...do what you think you have to...just don't counterfeit all of my teams hard work just because we are in the lead. I am not complaining...just pleading our case. Have a good day all and.....FOLD ON.
This is the same for me. Begging friends, doing favors, overclocking and risking my componets.
thas the same here
If you have done a transaction with me, please fill out my heatware. http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=64039
Ebay is: horizonlongtails it is 100%!!!
Mad_Goku
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Mad_Goku »

I agree, the standby folders idea isn't going to work out very well because when you have people who have system failures you don't have a fill in for all of them. We don't have a big enough list of standby's...

I have an idea of something that might work a little better....

Each team currently has 6 members - instead of adding each members daily points, add only the top 5 members points for that day, this gives each team 1 person per day who can have a "failure" and not negatively impact the team. The standby team should only be used in the event that two people go down and cannot make it back to team at all.

Or keep all 6 point tallies per team and if someone has a failure they can count the "average" of all of their folding thus far for that day's total points. So if member 3 of team a puts up a goose egg because of a video card failure then he gets the average points from days 1-4 to put in day 5. Then if he's still down day 6 he gets the average of days 1--5 with the hopes he will return soon.

Just some thoughts to make this more "fair"
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz
Asus P8P67 PRO
ATI 5870
8 GB G-Skill Ripjaw X 1600 @ 7-8-7-24
120gb G-Skill Sniper SSD

TraceHagan
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TraceHagan »

Mad_Goku wrote:I agree, the standby folders idea isn't going to work out very well because when you have people who have system failures you don't have a fill in for all of them. We don't have a big enough list of standby's...

Each team currently has 6 members - instead of adding each members daily points, add only the top 5 members points for that day, this gives each team 1 person per day who can have a "failure" and not negatively impact the team. The standby team should only be used in the event that two people go down and cannot make it back to team at all.

Or keep all 6 point tallies per team and if someone has a failure they can count the "average" of all of their folding thus far for that day's total points. So if member 3 of team a puts up a goose egg because of a video card failure then he gets the average points from days 1-4 to put in day 5. Then if he's still down day 6 he gets the average of days 1--5 with the hopes he will return soon.

These are some great ideas!
Mad_Goku
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Mad_Goku »

TraceHagan wrote:
Mad_Goku wrote:I agree, the standby folders idea isn't going to work out very well because when you have people who have system failures you don't have a fill in for all of them. We don't have a big enough list of standby's...

These are some great ideas!
Me for President!
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz
Asus P8P67 PRO
ATI 5870
120gb G-Skill Sniper SSD

Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

The more I think about this......no mater how "fair" you make it.....1 of the teams is going to be winning and only 1 of the teams is going to win. If in a week another team is winning.....you are going to have to make it "fair " again and change things....so that another team can be winning. If you are going to go through all that...you shoulda just had a draw to begin with...or something were points don't matter. Agian I am not complaining, I just would hate for my team or any other team to feel like something was taken away from them.

Ok...I'll shut up now........
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

My 2 cents, every 4 days we look at the teams and if there is a gap of a significant differane about be have the winning team give the losing team a person and the losing give the winning a poor person? random
If you have done a transaction with me, please fill out my heatware. http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=64039
Ebay is: horizonlongtails it is 100%!!!
werewolfdaddy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werewolfdaddy »

In the announcement post for this thread, Nate stated, "This team list is subject to change over the first few days while we sort out the teams to be balanced with the fairest ppd across the teams." While it might be disheartening for the team in the lead to get broken up, this would not be entirely unexpected. However, I may have misread that section, but I assume the point in this would be to filter out those who can't or had no intention of folding after the first few days.
TraceHagan
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TraceHagan »

Also, the teams have been rebalanced, and this is a bit past the first few days.
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

i think it is what it is.. i have been lucky so far and 3 of my friends seemed to have had their cards up and running since the start, and people here on other teams have helped me get my 5770 and 5750 cards working to fold. I can easily drop to 3000 ppd. I dont think my team should get a "better" folder or lose me. A few cards here or there can change things either way.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
forsaken
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by forsaken »

So I just looked at the cumulative totals on fancypants:

Team A: 249,344
Team B: 254,735
Team C: 253,848
Team D: 246,160
Team E: 220,227
Team F: 266,474
Team G: 214,517

At a glance, teams A-D seem well balanced. Team F is in 1st, team B is ~10k behind, and A,C,D are close to team
B, so A-D and F seem balanced.

Team E is more than 25k behind the 4th place team, so something with team E seems very unbalanced when you look at the rest, especially considering that team G is only 6,000 behind, and they have had 2 people not even folding for 3-4 DAYS!

It seems to me that team E was not balanced in properly given the huge disproportion in the numbers - and like I said, when you factor in that the only team behind team E is only 6000 behind and has been folding with only 4 people basically - if all 6 had been folding it would have been way worse for team E, so something doesn't seem right there.

I know it seems a bit fishy since I am on team E and am pushing that something is incorrect with the balancing, but the numbers seem to speak for themselves.

It's all for a good cause though, so thats the good part :-)
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

Ya ...I know...I said I would shut up.....

Just checked the stats for LegitReviews team....the daily points have more than doubled since the contest started. I kinda thought that was the point of this little venture?
TraceHagan
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TraceHagan »

forsaken wrote:So I just looked at the cumulative totals on fancypants:

Team A: 249,344
Team B: 254,735
Team C: 253,848
Team D: 246,160
Team E: 220,227
Team F: 266,474
Team G: 214,517

At a glance, teams A-D seem well balanced. Team F is in 1st, team B is ~10k behind, and A,C,D are close to team
B, so A-D and F seem balanced.

Team E is more than 25k behind the 4th place team, so something with team E seems very unbalanced when you look at the rest, especially considering that team G is only 6,000 behind, and they have had 2 people not even folding for 3-4 DAYS!

It seems to me that team E was not balanced in properly given the huge disproportion in the numbers - and like I said, when you factor in that the only team behind team E is only 6000 behind and has been folding with only 4 people basically - if all 6 had been folding it would have been way worse for team E, so something doesn't seem right there.

I know it seems a bit fishy since I am on team E and am pushing that something is incorrect with the balancing, but the numbers seem to speak for themselves.

It's all for a good cause though, so thats the good part :-)
Also, though, looking back through the days prior, Team F had been behind. Team F has worked their butts off to gain the PPD they are
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

Time to go to bed....curious to see what happens. I guess I will find out tomorrow. Night all.
werewolfdaddy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werewolfdaddy »

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=119500

Looks like PetteyG359 went back to folding for another team.

JakeGub fell off the face of the folding world.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I've given Team G the two standby folders. As both standby folders entered a few days late, I've given the standby folders first few 0's as their average ppd (currently denoted by red points on their points totals).

Here's what I'd like to do:

Swap Wifuzzy and InspectahACE.

I know I said teams would be locked in, but doing so would balance the teams like this:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... L-_ji7ptAw

What do people think to the changes?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Honestly I could care less. The war is supposed to be fun, but personally the QQ about teams is ruining it for me. That's all I'm going to say about. I'll fold regardless...
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

Sporg wrote:Honestly I could care less. The war is supposed to be fun, but personally the QQ about teams is ruining it for me. That's all I'm going to say about. I'll fold regardless...

+1

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Mad_Goku
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Mad_Goku »

The problem is there is a prize for the winning team and that prize has made people pull out all the stops and bust their butt or spend money to win. While changing the teams only serves to benefit my team....it would not be fair for team f who has worked hard for their points. I vote to keep teams how they are. People are only putting up the points they are because of the war and the prize. To change the teams now when they were fair is only going to devalue the competition and force people to fold for another team.

My 2 cents
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz
Asus P8P67 PRO
ATI 5870
120gb G-Skill Sniper SSD

Mad_Goku
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Mad_Goku »

Darkstar wrote:
Sporg wrote:Honestly I could care less. The war is supposed to be fun, but personally the QQ about teams is ruining it for me. That's all I'm going to say about. I'll fold regardless...

+1

:drinkers:
You are right, this is supposed to be fun...but when you put money or prizes on the line in ANYTHING....you are going to have people complain about fairness. Nothing will ever be 100% fair. And also while most of us will fold regardless...we wouldn't fold in the capacity we are now...the team is putting out almost 400k a day! But myself...I would only be putting out 4k on a daily basis if it were for the war.
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz
Asus P8P67 PRO
ATI 5870
120gb G-Skill Sniper SSD