** Official 2009 F@H WAR Competition Thread **

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
taichi135
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: ** Official 2009 F@H WAR Competition Thread **

Post by taichi135 »

Everyone's got an opinion, and everyone is entitled it.... Here's mine:

The competition is good. (you can debate whether it's a "fair" competition all you want... My opinion is that's it a good/decent competition)

There are so many computer forum sites giving stuff away, in which you normally have to "do" more work. IE: post replies to forums, submit a mini essay or video, or answer questions which requires reading articles/hunting around their website for the answers etc etc etc.

I don't see how much easier this contest gets. You get a PC/video card or as many you as feel like, have them fold(ing) and sit back and wait for the chance to win one. Doesn't seem like too bad of a deal to me. (granted there's no guarantee you win, but it's a contest and unfortunately a limited number of processors to be handed out)

As for my contribution, I've harassed every co-worker I could at work and discreetly added a few computers folding at home and at work. I plan to leave as many I can folding after the competition. (I can't be bothered to removed fah from every PC I've installed it on, or change teams...)

Keep voicing opinions, ideas are great but go easy on the admins, they did what they could for their objective - more folding points for the team, and perhaps a higher profile for legit reviews for the project. Like someone mentioned, they could have just stuck everyone's name in a hat and randomly drew names - but how many of us would have more aggressively folded the last few days/weeks if that were case?

Let's all try to play nice, and fold on! :)
"Windows is a 32-bit patch to a 16-bit GUI for an 8-bit operating system written for a 4-bit processor by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1-bit of competition"
werewolfdaddy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werewolfdaddy »

Tom's Hardware is going down, if we can keep this momentum for just 3 more weeks.
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

Uh Oh...Fancypants stats tracker seams to have bit the big one.... #-o

EDIT Nevermind...it's working now
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

Nice XstolieX :supz: :supz: :supz:

I am going to leave my PC on to get some more points while im at work. Now my fingers are crossed that we don't lose power.....
If you have done a transaction with me, please fill out my heatware. http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=64039
Ebay is: horizonlongtails it is 100%!!!
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

kylepaddock wrote:Nice XstolieX :supz: :supz: :supz:

I am going to leave my PC on to get some more points while im at work. Now my fingers are crossed that we don't lose power.....
LoL, my laptop has been on for a week and a half straight now. Every night I come home from work wondering if there is going to be a full laptop in my office or a smoldering pile of melted plastic and circuits.
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

FeRaL wrote:
kylepaddock wrote:Nice XstolieX :supz: :supz: :supz:

LoL, my laptop has been on for a week and a half straight now. Every night I come home from work wondering if there is going to be a full laptop in my office or a smoldering pile of melted plastic and circuits.
LOL....must be a dell
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

Wifuzzy wrote:I do have a question....and I'll leave the outcome to the masses. What should be done with billabong_69. He has gotten our team 131 points. :roll: I do know he is folding on AMD laptop and a bigger work unit could be to blame...but I have PM him 4 times with no response!? I think it is an easy descision....UNLESS he was put on our team with the idea he would not get many points at all (to make up the average used for each team, only admin nows that one). If he is kicked out, should the next highest spare folder be put in...I would ask if the CPU should just be put back in draw but I think the vote on that could be a little one sided :) My vote is the spare who has the most points be added to the team....he/she kept putting up the points and was not even on a team. But I am not sure about that one...so whatever you guys want. I'll jst say out of it unless someone asks me :lol: hey...it could happen

EDIT: Please be nice....he was trying with rather lowly hardware and it would have been all to easy to think his points were worthless and give up.
id say if he doesnt put up any more point by the end just take him off- team F doesnt need anymore people added to it. just throw that CPU into the mix for the random drawing for everyone
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
TraceHagan
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TraceHagan »

smack323 wrote:
Wifuzzy wrote:I do have a question....and I'll leave the outcome to the masses. What should be done with billabong_69. He has gotten our team 131 points. :roll: I do know he is folding on AMD laptop and a bigger work unit could be to blame...but I have PM him 4 times with no response!? I think it is an easy descision....UNLESS he was put on our team with the idea he would not get many points at all (to make up the average used for each team, only admin nows that one). If he is kicked out, should the next highest spare folder be put in...I would ask if the CPU should just be put back in draw but I think the vote on that could be a little one sided :) My vote is the spare who has the most points be added to the team....he/she kept putting up the points and was not even on a team. But I am not sure about that one...so whatever you guys want. I'll jst say out of it unless someone asks me :lol: hey...it could happen

EDIT: Please be nice....he was trying with rather lowly hardware and it would have been all to easy to think his points were worthless and give up.
id say if he doesnt put up any more point by the end just take him off- team F doesnt need anymore people added to it. just throw that CPU into the mix for the random drawing for everyone
I tend to have to agree. Just throw it into the mix if he has stopped folding
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

smack323 wrote:

What ever eveyone thinks...
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

It is obvious who is going to win, so yes, just kick out the person who stopped folding. They don't deserve a prize for folding for one day to get into the contest.

Everyone else still has a chance to win.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

werewolfdaddy wrote:Tom's Hardware is going down, if we can keep this momentum for just 3 more weeks.
I'll give ya 6 days..
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
DL13
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL13 »

Wifuzzy wrote:
smack323 wrote:

What ever eveyone thinks...
Ya throw the cpu in the mix, especially sins he hasn't got back to you.
Gigabyte MA790FXTA-UD5 / Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.41Mhz / Mushkin 2X2GB 1333 / XFX 5870 1GB / Cooler Master HAF 932 / Win 7 Pro 64 / ACER G24 LCD 24"
TraceHagan
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TraceHagan »

My main rig that has been up 24/7 is pulling 650-660watts folding at the wall. so thats about 1.50$ in power
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

I'll be happy to replace the guy on team "F" and commit to adding 150K PPD till the end of the F@H War.
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

Vectrexer wrote:I'll be happy to replace the guy on team "F" and commit to adding 150K PPD till the end of the F@H War.
If you want to fold why not do it under my passkey? ....oh wait you don't want to fold just to fold you want to replace the guy that's on the winning team so you can get paid ( with a CPU) to fold...how very noble of you. You could offer to add your production to the loosing team in hopes they might be able to become the winning team but you did not offer that did you? If you can produce 150K why are you not doing it now? Just my oppinion but if any of you have promised the prize for winning to someone so they will help you win then I have some choice words for you. I am sure I could find at least 300K PPD if I were to pay someone to fold for me for a few days which is no different than offering to give someone the prize to fold for you. I am sorry for my rant but that post just rubbed me wrong.
Merlin
Windows 10 64 bit home on both
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

Fold under my namefor team D!!!!
If you have done a transaction with me, please fill out my heatware. http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=64039
Ebay is: horizonlongtails it is 100%!!!
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

Vectrexer wrote:I'll be happy to replace the guy on team "F" and commit to adding 150K PPD till the end of the F@H War.
K...never saw that one coming
TraceHagan
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TraceHagan »

Off Topic: Check out case mod Moe's Tavern.

On Topic: Yeah, big surprise there
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

I told myself I wasn't going to comment on the crying in this topic... but everyone that knows me knows that isn't my style. So, here we go...

Everyone is whining about the guy that has put up 131 pts. I say, if he can show logs that he was folding at least a portion of every day of the competition, we all chip in a $5 spot and help him buy better equipment so that he is ready to kick someone's ass when the next War rolls around. Minus him, we have 46 active folders in the War... that equals $230. I guess he's on the Team that is winning, so he'll have a processor. You can't build a Top 5 folding rig, but maybe he could build something to focus the whiners on someone else next War.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

DaIceMan wrote:I told myself I wasn't going to comment on the crying in this topic... but everyone that knows me knows that isn't my style. So, here we go...

Everyone is whining about the guy that has put up 131 pts. I say, if he can show logs that he was folding at least a portion of every day of the competition, we all chip in a $5 spot and help him buy better equipment so that he is ready to kick someone's ass when the next War rolls around. Minus him, we have 46 active folders in the War... that equals $230. I guess he's on the Team that is winning, so he'll have a processor. You can't build a Top 5 folding rig, but maybe he could build something to focus the whiners on someone else next War.
As long as he can prove hes been folding i'm good with that.