** Official 2009 F@H WAR Competition Thread **

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: ** Official 2009 F@H WAR Competition Thread **

Post by Wifuzzy »

Apoptosis wrote:
kylepaddock wrote:When should we know the random winners.
When I figure out what I'm going to do :)
last one I was in they gave you 1 entry for every 10,000 points you got...just a thought
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

I just think that you should get 1 entry of you were able to make your estimated PPD.
If you have done a transaction with me, please fill out my heatware. http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=64039
Ebay is: horizonlongtails it is 100%!!!
Sapientun
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sapientun »

Congrats to the winning team. 8)
Good job to everyone that folded. Fold on!
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

nice we almost had 4 months worth of points in Dec alone.

Great Job Team!! :partyman:
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

Merlin wrote:Good job everyone...can we keep the pace up for 7 more days and pass Tom's Hardware???? That would be a good little present for the nice folks here at LR. Not that you were trying to redeem yourself Vectrexer but you have in my oppinion, thanks for adding soo many points to LR's total. On Dec. 1st I had never folded at all and now I plan to stick with it, in between gaming of course.
not looking for redemption.

but if it makes you fell better redeem me all you like.
taichi135
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by taichi135 »

One entry per person that replied to the thread and contributed?

It may be viewed 'unfair' if contributor's are given entries based on points - given the obvious financial restraints (nice video card(s), electricity costs) and/or resources involved (getting a friend(s) with nice hardware to contribute and/or workplace resources).

It was a good run of points, keep folding for Legit Reviews as much as possible!
"Windows is a 32-bit patch to a 16-bit GUI for an 8-bit operating system written for a 4-bit processor by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1-bit of competition"
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

Congratulations Team LR! Climbing the ranks at this level is no mean feat. Excellent teamwork everyone!
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

I'm staff and have no need for a CPU. Nate feel free to raffle mine off.

Apoptosis wrote:
Wifuzzy wrote:"Energy (1,160 kWh x $.117630/kWh) $136.45 " It was in the statement. Be happy you don't live in Europe..they are like 25-35 cents KWh.
Missouri must be cheap:

In winter (October through May) that charge is 6.12 cents per kWh for the first 750 kilowatthours and 4.12 cents per kWh for any usage over 750 kilowatthours.
As for the winning team please e-mail me your shipping addresses.
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

taichi135 wrote:It may be viewed 'unfair' if contributor's are given entries based on points - given the obvious financial restraints (nice video card(s), electricity costs) and/or resources involved (getting a friend(s) with nice hardware to contribute and/or workplace resources).
Given the nature of the rules of this competitions I would have to disagree with you.
Apoptosis wrote:Almost anything is fair game, from adding rigs, to overclocks, whatever you want. If you get someone else to fold, and its not under your name, post it, so we can keep them on the standby list in case someone quits, breaks down or something like that.
If the OP is going to decide to award entries based on points then I think the effort expended on getting points by recruiting, expenditures on nice video cards, etc, should also be considered. I can tell you from personal experience that laying out the cash for nice video cards and the system to support them is no trivial affair. At least not for me it isn't.

If the rules were stated otherwise I would be defending them as staunchly too.

Of course the way the other CPUs are going to be awarded is up to the site admins. I'll back their decisions 100% no matter what is decided.
skier

Post by skier »

Vectrexer wrote:
Apoptosis wrote:Almost anything is fair game, from adding rigs, to overclocks, whatever you want. If you get someone else to fold, and its not under your name, post it, so we can keep them on the standby list in case someone quits, breaks down or something like that.
If the OP is going to decide to award entries based on points then I think the effort expended on getting points by recruiting, expenditures on nice video cards, etc, should also be considered. I can tell you from personal experience that laying out the cash for nice video cards and the system to support them is no trivial affair. At least not for me it isn't.
the thing is, not many people can fork up the cash for new parts, and this contest is a "no purchase necessary" type deal, people aren't expected to do it..
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

I am one of them. Unemployed and no way to get parts...... and The electricity is killing me because we life on a farm they charge us more.
If you have done a transaction with me, please fill out my heatware. http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=64039
Ebay is: horizonlongtails it is 100%!!!
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

skier wrote:
Vectrexer wrote:
the thing is, not many people can fork up the cash for new parts, and this contest is a "no purchase necessary" type deal, people aren't expected to do it..
I disagree on the "no purchase necessary". You had to have purchased a computer, buy Internet service, and buy electricity just to compete (aka participate) in this contest. The exception being if you didn't have a computer and found about about this context through someone else. And then managed to recruit someone to fold for you.

But let's narrow the scope for a second. The fact not everyone can fork it up does not lessen the fact that some were able to do so. I brought my personal systems to this contest. Systems I had purchased before this contest started. I didn't buy extra video cards after the contest just to increase my chances of winning something. But on the flip side, I would not want to take away from anyone else who did buy extra hardware during the 2009 F@H WAR Competition either. It wouldn't be fair to their efforts.
Last edited by Vectrexer on Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Don't fret guys, the remaining CPUs will be given away in a way that will be fair to everyone, so there's no need for (yet more) QQ :lol:

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

DMB2000uk wrote:Don't fret guys, the remaining CPUs will be given away in a way that will be fair to everyone, so there's no need for (yet more) QQ :lol:

Dan
Oh come on! You are taking my debating fun away! Is that fair? ;-)
DMB2000uk wrote:Feel free to debate away, but know that it'll most likely not change how we allocate the remaining CPUs :lol:
Dan

:)
Last edited by Vectrexer on Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Feel free to debate away, but know that it'll most likely not change how we allocate the remaining CPUs :lol:

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

DMB2000uk wrote:Feel free to debate away, but know that it'll most likely not change how we allocate the remaining CPUs :lol:

Dan
LoL, love that line.
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

The line is rather obvious...those that posted the most points want entries based on points, those that posted fewer points want it to be based solely on participation...me I want us all to keep folding until Tom's is beaten down under LR's collective foot and then accept whatever Nate and the guys descide to do. Merry Christmas to you all and may 2010 shine brightly for all of us on the farm or in the city.
Merlin
Windows 10 64 bit home on both
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU
skier

Post by skier »

well, i'm not really concerned with the chip as i'm a staff writer, i was just saying. :finga:
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
DL13
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL13 »

Dan
Nice one Dan.

Congrats to team F =D>
Gigabyte MA790FXTA-UD5 / Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.41Mhz / Mushkin 2X2GB 1333 / XFX 5870 1GB / Cooler Master HAF 932 / Win 7 Pro 64 / ACER G24 LCD 24"
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

Besides over half the participants are only in the competition because Nate and Dan were nice enough to add people after the deadline. If you notice there was a thread...now locked..that was for registration. The rest of us, myself included, are really literally lucky to have been allowed to participate and should hardly begin offering our recomendations as to priz awards.
Merlin
Windows 10 64 bit home on both
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU