** Official 2009 F@H WAR Competition Thread **

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
taichi135
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: ** Official 2009 F@H WAR Competition Thread **

Post by taichi135 »

Vectrexer wrote:
taichi135 wrote:It may be viewed 'unfair' if contributor's are given entries based on points - given the obvious financial restraints (nice video card(s), electricity costs) and/or resources involved (getting a friend(s) with nice hardware to contribute and/or workplace resources).
Given the nature of the rules of this competitions I would have to disagree with you.
Apoptosis wrote:Almost anything is fair game, from adding rigs, to overclocks, whatever you want. If you get someone else to fold, and its not under your name, post it, so we can keep them on the standby list in case someone quits, breaks down or something like that.
If the OP is going to decide to award entries based on points then I think the effort expended on getting points by recruiting, expenditures on nice video cards, etc, should also be considered. I can tell you from personal experience that laying out the cash for nice video cards and the system to support them is no trivial affair. At least not for me it isn't.

If the rules were stated otherwise I would be defending them as staunchly too.

Of course the way the other CPUs are going to be awarded is up to the site admins. I'll back their decisions 100% no matter
what is decided.
Just saying it "could" be viewed as unfair. Otherwise it's pretty much a competition of how much spare cash you got and/or how many people you know & convince to fold for you. Which kind of defeats the purpose of the prize - but not the purpose of the competition. I mean, if I had really,really wanted to, I could have ran out and bought a couple GTX295's, which would serve no purpose other than to fold - why not just spend the cash on a Phenom II 965? The nature of the remainder/random draw prizes seemed to imply a competition for all, not necessarily for the person with the best connections/resources. The free for all rule seemed to apply for the team effort competition, but the latter random draw of prizes was to reward some individuals who are/were not as fortunate in resources to fold.

Correct me if I'm wrong in saying this - I can't find the post atm. I believe Apoptosis indicated 41 in the competition said something to the effect of a 1 in 41 chance of winning one of the remaining processors - this was shortly after all the QQ'ing early in the thread. (1/35, if they remove the winning team from the final draw) Although not explicitly stated, this kind of hinted toward a random draw at the end.

That's all I have to say. Not attempting to change anyone's view or feelings on this. I'm not really bent on any way it goes - not my competition or processors to give away.

Fold on Legit Reviews and have a happy holidays!!! :lol: :partyman: :)
"Windows is a 32-bit patch to a 16-bit GUI for an 8-bit operating system written for a 4-bit processor by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1-bit of competition"
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

taichi135, I concur. Heck, the first post concerning the contest does nothing to specify that you need to crank out a certain amount of PPD to be eligible for the free for all giveaway part. I would assume though that you would need to at least put out some work on a regular basis though. But hey, live and learn I guess. Next competition I'm sure they will have everything put out water tight.

Though, like DMB200uk stated, debate will most likely not change how they allocate the remaining CPus.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

I have no idea what are you guys arguing about? The rules were laid down at the beginning and should not change after. 6 CPU's are given to the members of the winning team (team F) and the 4 remaining are being raffled between those who PARTICIPATED in the other teams, were not excluded or did not exclude themselves (ex. dicecca). Couldn't get more simple than that...
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

sbohdan wrote:I have no idea what are you guys arguing about? The rules were laid down at the beginning and should not change after. 6 CPU's are given to the members of the winning team (team F) and the 4 remaining are being raffled between those who PARTICIPATED in the other teams, were not excluded or did not exclude themselves (ex. dicecca). Couldn't get more simple than that...
Word
Mad_Goku
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Mad_Goku »

The reason people will argue is the same reason this folding war was so big....the prizes.

It doesn't matter to me how they give out the prizes...I would be just as fine with giving them to the people with the lowest point totals, but still turned in points every day. Or they can choose the 5 most active people on the forums and give them the prizes....

My point is that it's LR's prize to decide who gets them...Maybe they should exclude everyone who gave them their "suggestion" on how to give them away. Yes that would include me.

I didn't start the war with a Phenom II, I won't be upset if at the end i don't have one.
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz
Asus P8P67 PRO
ATI 5870
8 GB G-Skill Ripjaw X 1600 @ 7-8-7-24
120gb G-Skill Sniper SSD

Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

Just to clarify the argument. The "argument" if you want to call it that, started when Wifuzzy said, in response to Apops statement about the remaining CPUs , that he had been in a contest where the participants got one entry or raffle ticket for every 10K they posted during the contest. Those that could not post 100k + per day naturally don't want that since that would reduce their odds of winning and there was not mention of point totals as it pertained to the remaining CPUs at the beginning of the competition, it was sort of implied that those who could not produce points like we all knew Darkstar could, would still have a chance at a CPU by way of random raffle points would only matter for the team competition part. I only mention Darkstar because prior to the contest he was the largest point producer on a PPD basis. Those that could and did post a lot of points would benefit from the point total raffle method so they want it. I am only summarizing for those that may wonder what the argument is about.
Merlin
Windows 10 64 bit home on both
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

sbohdan wrote:I have no idea what are you guys arguing about? The rules were laid down at the beginning and should not change after. 6 CPU's are given to the members of the winning team (team F) and the 4 remaining are being raffled between those who PARTICIPATED in the other teams, were not excluded or did not exclude themselves (ex. dicecca). Couldn't get more simple than that...
sbohdan, hit the nail on the head...

The winning team members each get one processor... The remaining processors will be raffled off to those that participated. I'm really busy right now with the site, holidays, family, and personal stuff... I'm going to get the processors out and then raffle off the other processors after Christmas. I live in a small town with only one post office that has two tellers. I'm not about to go in there and mail processors out the day before christmas, so hang tight! Every time we do a contest like this everyone freaks out, but in the 7 years I have run Legit Reviews every single contest winner has gotten their prize.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
FeRaL
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by FeRaL »

Apoptosis wrote:

The winning team members each get one processor... The remaining processors will be raffled off to those that participated. I'm really busy right now with the site, holidays, family, and personal stuff... I'm going to get the processors out and then raffle off the other processors after Christmas. I live in a small town with only one post office that has two tellers. I'm not about to go in there and mail processors out the day before christmas, so hang tight! Every time we do a contest like this everyone freaks out, but in the 7 years I have run Legit Reviews every single contest winner has gotten their prize.
One Post Office! What city do you live in?
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

Mine have like 1.2 of a P.O. they are closed Sun, and Sat, and on mondays from 11-till closing and they are open tues-fri from 9-11 then 12:30-5...now thats weird
If you have done a transaction with me, please fill out my heatware. http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=64039
Ebay is: horizonlongtails it is 100%!!!
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

Congrat to team F. you all did a great job!! It's all about the folding! I know i am most everyone else are going to continue to fold if there is a contest or not.

If by folding on all of our computers saves one person, it was a success in my book!

On the topic of the remaining processors, i have all the faith in Nate and everyone that is part of Legit Reviews to do what is fairest for all. They are people of their word and there is not one part of me that doubts that! Cheers!! :drinkers:
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
taichi135
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by taichi135 »

I wasn't trying to be argumentative. Merely stating an opinion, as was Vect.

I think I have as much chance of changing/convincing Vect's opinion as he does mine. (no arguments, I quite honestly think we were both just stating our opinions, even though we don't agree - oh well.)

Also, for the record, just because Vect wasn't on a team, I honestly agree/think he should have an equal shot at the remaining CPU's. (as clearly stated early in the competition, that late joiners, teamless contributors would be given an opportunity) There's certainly no doubt that he contributed a ton of points.

Congrats team F. Good luck to all for the remaining CPU's.
"Windows is a 32-bit patch to a 16-bit GUI for an 8-bit operating system written for a 4-bit processor by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1-bit of competition"
werewolfdaddy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werewolfdaddy »

Congrats to Team F and congrats to LR. This contest has reinvigorated the folding team and gave us something to do other than obsess about the holidays. The last three weeks have flown by. Thank you to everyone for participating. I enjoyed it. Now, if I can only keep my fingers crossed through Christmas, maybe :mrgreen: I'll win one.
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

Yay...my turn...what do I do about this.....just reboot the machine?

[10:30:55] + Attempting to send results [December 24 10:30:55 UTC]
[10:31:16] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[10:31:16] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[10:31:16] (171.65.103.100:8080)
[10:31:16] + Retrying using alternative port
[10:31:37] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[10:31:37] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[10:31:37] (171.65.103.100:80)
[10:31:37] Could not transmit unit 00 to Collection server; keeping in queue.
[10:31:37] Project: 5765 (Run 11, Clone 279, Gen 1179)

[10:31:37] + Attempting to send results [December 24 10:31:37 UTC]
[10:31:37] - Server reports packet it received an incomplete payload.
[10:31:37] (May be due to packet loss during network transmission or a corrupted file.)
[10:31:37] - Error: Could not transmit unit 02 (completed December 24) to work server.

[10:31:37] + Attempting to send results [December 24 10:31:37 UTC]
[10:31:38] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[10:31:38] (171.67.108.25:8080)
[10:31:38] + Retrying using alternative port
[10:31:39] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[10:31:39] (171.67.108.25:80)
[10:31:39] Could not transmit unit 02 to Collection server; keeping in queue.
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

wow, lots of catching up to do on this thread after a day offline. Congrats to the winning team! Only ended up with one "unstable machine" after all that, not bad! Also congrats to Nate and dan and crew for not blowing up over this thread :lol:

cheers! :drinkers:

have a safe and happy holiday everyone.....
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

FeRaL wrote:
Apoptosis wrote:

One Post Office! What city do you live in?
The post office in my town is only open a couple hours a day and its smaller then most 2 car garages.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
skier

Post by skier »

bubba wrote:
Apoptosis wrote: One Post Office! What city do you live in?
The post office in my town is only open a couple hours a day and its smaller then most 2 car garages.
ours used to be the size of a shed(a small one at that) but it moved about 10 yrs ago to a big place they built(90% waste of money, not like our $14Million elementary school for 50 kids, which is a 1000000% waste of money)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Sapientun
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sapientun »

Heheh, you guys must live in small cities. I live in a surburb and couriers (2 UPS, 1 Fedex, 1 DHL and 3 Canada Posts) have a postal office in a 10 minute radius from my place.
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

Our town only has 2k people.
If you have done a transaction with me, please fill out my heatware. http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=64039
skier

Post by skier »

kylepaddock wrote:Our town only has 2k people.
'bout double mine..
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
kylepaddock
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kylepaddock »

there is a town 3 miles away with 30 people which is my size.