Ideas for next F@H war.

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
TraceHagan
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Ideas for next F@H war.

Post by TraceHagan »

Since there was a lot of bickering over whether this past F@H war was fair, etc., I thought it would be a good idea to ask for everyone's input towards making the next one fairer. I hope to stay a big part of LR folding team and help with the next F@H war.

My Ideas:
  • Must fold for at least 2 weeks prior to F@H war, average PPD over those 2 weeks, and you are not allowed to exceed your PPD by more then a certain percentage (to prevent sandbagging, etc.)
  • If your PPD allowance is exceeded, you will lose all your points for the day.
Post your ideas; this is not a thread to bicker about the 2009 F@H war, rather to post ideas to improve for the 2010 F@H war.

Others' Ideas:
  • Run Longer
  • have folded for at least x amount of months before the war starts
  • random drawing for all would be fair with say the top 2 teams getting more chances. ie, the first place team gets 3 entries, the second 2 , and the rest a single entry
  • announced earlier and the teams set up in advance
  • class-based overclocking contest
  • First 20 people to reach 1 million points starting at the time of the folding war
Trace
Last edited by TraceHagan on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KnightRid

Re: Ideas for next F@H war.

Post by KnightRid »

I suggest making the folding war for a LONG period of time - say 6months. That would take care of people just popping in for a couple weeks and then leaving (happens all the time :( ). Without a long folding competition I dont think anything will ever be perfect. I want to see those 200K points per day every day for 6 months ;)

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Mad_Goku
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Mad_Goku »

I think you can still do it for a short period of time....but there should be a requirement that you have folded for at least x amount of months before the war starts.

This way those who have been "loyal" folders for LR have a better chance of getting the "prize" instead of people coming in and folding for 3 weeks and leaving with the prize.
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz
Asus P8P67 PRO
ATI 5870
8 GB G-Skill Ripjaw X 1600 @ 7-8-7-24
120gb G-Skill Sniper SSD

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

It will never be 100% fair....

1) No one is ever honest on what they will run, can buy or borrow for or during the event
2) the sponsors usually want a 2 week contest and a one month contest is pushing it, so doing a long term contest for say 6 months would be had to get backers for.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

i agree with nate or rather i would say that it will not seem fair to 100% of the participants. There would be so many options to setting it up everyone will not agree on them. i think 2 to 3 weeks is fair, and i think the idea of having folded for at least a month is fair, on the other hand i think someone mentioned at one point that one of the reasons for the contest/war is to bring in new people. So in that sense the contest would need to be set up months in advance. Then is the problem of who wins prizes, to me a random drawing for all would be fair with say the top 2 teams getting more chances. ie, the first place team gets 3 entries, the second 2 , and the rest a single entry. lots of time to hash it out, i'm sure Nate isnt anxious to start up another one real soon :lol:

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
skier

Post by skier »

TraceHagan wrote:Must fold for at least 2 weeks prior to F@H war, average PPD over those 2 weeks
you do realize that if that was a rule, you wouldn't have even been entered in the last contest right? nor would about half of the entrants, which is the goal, to get as many newcomers as possible to expand our team, as well as boost the teams average.
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

*edit* I didn't mean this to sound so negative when I started, so just take it as constructive criticism :P

I also don't think banning adding output is for the greater good of the team. There's no way we'd have been hitting 900k ppd if we'd have stopped people recruiting more folders, and that was the original point of the folding war.

I do agree that the next one should be announced earlier and the teams set up in advance, but Nate was so busy he missed my PM about letting me send out an email to all members, and so he only got to sending the email out as we were about to start. That in itself caused half the fuss with having to swap people round as they started folding for LR and stabilised their PPD

The extra entries into a drawing for the winners isn't too bad of an idea, but if there's no guarantee of winning a prize if your team wins, will people really push their systems as hard to win? (meaning LR gets more points :P)

And even if we got the sponsors for long a long term comp, we're not doing the competition for any longer than the 3 weeks we did this one; as I refuse to update the stats for that long :finga:

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
TraceHagan
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TraceHagan »

Dan, I can probably make an auto updater for the stats.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Fancy having a go at a proof of concept? 8)

Would make the next folding war(s) a hell of a lot easier on my part :P

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
TraceHagan
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TraceHagan »

Of course. Do you have a preferred programming language for it to be in? Otherwise I default to Visual Basic, but I can do PHP or Java
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Well it'd have to be web-based, so everyone can view the output, so take your pick :P

and do you think there's a way to do graphs too?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
TraceHagan
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TraceHagan »

Well, it'd be much easier to make it computer based and everyday at say 12AM upload the stats to a website.
But, I'll give it a try in PHP
And yes, Graphs are possible

Dan:
Send me a PM with what you would like to see it be able to do and I'll get to work on it.
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

DMB2000uk wrote:*edit* I didn't mean this to sound so negative when I started, so just take it as constructive criticism :P

I also don't think banning adding output is for the greater good of the team. There's no way we'd have been hitting 900k ppd if we'd have stopped people recruiting more folders, and that was the original point of the folding war.

I do agree that the next one should be announced earlier and the teams set up in advance, but Nate was so busy he missed my PM about letting me send out an email to all members, and so he only got to sending the email out as we were about to start. That in itself caused half the fuss with having to swap people round as they started folding for LR and stabilised their PPD

The extra entries into a drawing for the winners isn't too bad of an idea, but if there's no guarantee of winning a prize if your team wins, will people really push their systems as hard to win? (meaning LR gets more points :P)

And even if we got the sponsors for long a long term comp, we're not doing the competition for any longer than the 3 weeks we did this one; as I refuse to update the stats for that long :finga:

Dan
well the winning team could be guaranteed a prize for the top folder and LR caps for the whole team! there is some incentive! :finga:

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

Would also like to see more on this subject of fairness and/or a logical equalization.

One thing I had considered is basing a contest on folding efficiency. Point's per core / day. But then we have some people like me folding BigAdv that have a big skew. I'd like to find some way to counteract the bigadv advantage without killing it off entirely. Of course still keep the BigAdv points flowing for the LR team. Just reduce the impact to use them as an advantage to win a prize.

There are also some other folders out there that run their systems completely stock with no o/c. Might be fun to have some sort of folding class for these people were the goal is a run without any interruption, Or at least as little as possible. People with UPS's obviously have an advantage here. But others without might find it a challenge just to keep their systems up. Still, the way to equalize the point values might be difficult.

About the folding time limit qualifications, Strangely,,, I sort of agree with a requirement to have folded for LR before joining the competition. At least I agree it might be more fair to those who have committed to LR Team folding for the long run. But that idea runs the risk of losing team points as well. Like the idea of giving historically consistent LR folders an extra chance to win a drawn prize. Even if that reduces the chances of occasional LR folders like me.
Last edited by Vectrexer on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

I think that the level of revisions that some of you are recommending are short sighted and a bit selfish. The idea was to fold and fold a lot. Prizes were a perk, not the purpose to the competition, and if people want to fold they will regardless of if it's the popular/potentially profitable thing to do at the moment. I am not trying to heat up the atmosphere here, just stating my opinion. It's not like it was an overclocking or modding competition, but a chance to seriously crank up LR's numbers, and if we're going to complain at all about prizes then we may as well just fold anonymously, right?
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
TraceHagan
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TraceHagan »

I kinda like that, actually.
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

Apoptosis wrote:It will never be 100% fair....

1) No one is ever honest on what they will run, can buy or borrow for or during the event
2) the sponsors usually want a 2 week contest and a one month contest is pushing it, so doing a long term contest for say 6 months would be had to get backers for.
Were the folks at AMD satisfied with the 2009 contest?
Did they have any suggestions?
Last edited by Vectrexer on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skier

Post by skier »

i like the idea of a class-based overclocking contest tho :lol:

too bad we're not still putting out 900k :?
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

Here are my thoughts. No matter how you do it..it is luck of the draw....this time I was on the winning team Wo Ho for me..next time I will probably not be on the winning team Bo Ho for me, it's just luck of the draw.
As far as a contest goes...you need to leave the winning team wide open to anything ie: 3000 PPD goes up to 150,000 PPD, it's good for the team. What you could also do is have a prize also for the most consistant folder (consistant points are not that easy to do) A prize for the person who got the most points increase whithout the help of a folding farm...this should not be to hard to figure out...and some random draws for prizes.

Just some thoughts
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Why not just fold? Let the prizes not get in the way of a good cause. People should fold because they want to, not to win a prize. Of course it's better if they fold for Legit Reviews team 38296. :)

Or, you could do it this way. First 20 people to reach 1 million points starting at the time of the folding war. Doesn't matter how many points you have now, just to reach 1 million points when folding war starts. After 20 people do, the names go in a hat and pulled. Simple. Example, Lets say I have 800,000 points before the war, then I would need to get to 1,800,000.

If you want to have teams, say 5 members per team then, each team would have to get 5 million points. Then the same would apply. Teams would go in a hat and picked. Folding war ends when top ten or twenty teams finish.