Ideas for next F@H war.

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Ideas for next F@H war.

Post by Wifuzzy »

vbironchef wrote:Why not just fold? Let the prizes not get in the way of a good cause. People should fold because they want to, not to win a prize. Of course it's better if they fold for Legit Reviews team 38296. :)

Or, you could do it this way. First 20 people to reach 1 million points starting at the time of the folding war. Doesn't matter how many points you have now, just to reach 1 million points when folding war starts. After 20 people do, the names go in a hat and pulled. Simple. Example, Lets say I have 800,000 points before the war, then I would need to get to 1,800,000.

If you want to have teams, say 5 members per team then, each team would have to get 5 million points. Then the same would apply. Teams would go in a hat and picked. Folding war ends when top ten or twenty teams finish.
Hmmm...contest to run for 3 weeks...1,000,000 points...
1,000,000/21 = 47,619 PPD :roll: yup....count me in...I'll lose, but I'll try. I understand what you are trying to say...but this contest would have to run for probably 2-3 months to get 20 people over the 1,000,000 mark...maybe if you lowered the number...250,000 points would probably work...but it would still leave out the regular 3000-5000 PPD guys. Not complaining or saying it is a bad idea...just pointing out some realities.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

What's wrong with folding for 2-3 months? There would be no promise to win a prize. They would be picked out of a hat. Nobody knows at this point how many prizes there would be in the first place. I think the whole point in folding for a goal is to increase folding and make Legit Reviews even better. I did not fold in the last folding war because my graphic cards were dead. Thanks to Legit Reviews I did not just throw them in the dumpster. Long live Legit Reviews. I feel that our folding team is the best out there. :partyman: If you feel the need to win, build more computers and buy lots of graphic cards. :supz:
TraceHagan
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TraceHagan »

vbironchef wrote: If you feel the need to win, build more computers and buy lots of graphic cards. :supz:
Thats what Im doing!
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

vbironchef wrote:What's wrong with folding for 2-3 months? There would be no promise to win a prize. They would be picked out of a hat. Nobody knows at this point how many prizes there would be in the first place. I think the whole point in folding for a goal is to increase folding and make Legit Reviews even better. I did not fold in the last folding war because my graphic cards were dead. Thanks to Legit Reviews I did not just throw them in the dumpster. Long live Legit Reviews. I feel that our folding team is the best out there. :partyman: If you feel the need to win, build more computers and buy lots of graphic cards. :supz:
Ok, I don't usually say this, but you are an idiot. Did you by any chance read the title of this tread? Did you read the part about sponours liking shorter contests? OK...maybe "idiot" was not needed...but at least read all the damned posts before you say something that makes you look...ummmm...foolish.
And for the record, I fold for my reasons and I find that folding in a contest is just a way to have a little fun with it. If I win, great...My only hope is to be in the running to keep it interesting and with that in mind, I would love to find a way to keep it "fair" for eveyone. But it's probably not gonna happen unless you do it like racing...unlimited class and a regular class. This would keep it interesting, but would probably cut down the total points gained. If you do the draw, I'm in...tell me when the draw is so I can check my email to see if I won anything..yay...that was a hoot.
Contests are fun..keep them. But remember that "fair" just aint gonna happen. It's the nature of the beast.
Yup...I'm done now. Have a good day all.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Don't worry I won't take it the wrong way. I mean you have been folding since 12.01.09 Wow, that's a long time.
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

vbironchef wrote:Don't worry I won't take it the wrong way. I mean you have been folding since 12.01.09 Wow, that's a long time.
Yup...you sure did your homework didn't ya......
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

vbironchef wrote:Why not just fold? Let the prizes not get in the way of a good cause. People should fold because they want to, not to win a prize. Of course it's better if they fold for Legit Reviews team 38296. :)

Or, you could do it this way. First 20 people to reach 1 million points starting at the time of the folding war. Doesn't matter how many points you have now, just to reach 1 million points when folding war starts. After 20 people do, the names go in a hat and pulled. Simple. Example, Lets say I have 800,000 points before the war, then I would need to get to 1,800,000.

If you want to have teams, say 5 members per team then, each team would have to get 5 million points. Then the same would apply. Teams would go in a hat and picked. Folding war ends when top ten or twenty teams finish.
Great idea, but it goes along with my thoughts that the only way to have a fair competition is to make it longer and for some reason, sponsors dont want to see long contests :( I still say this is the only way to make it "fair". You have to go for length of time. Heck, I could get people to fold for a month, but could you get them to fold for 6 months? a year? THAT would be a contest! Lets see the people throwing up hundreds of thousands of points do it consistent for a year ;)

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
TraceHagan
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by TraceHagan »

I actually really like the idea, and hell, who needs prizes?
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

How about a personalized email address from the LR domain?

Chris at legitreviews dot com might be a nice thing to have. Of course the winner would have to abide good taste and TOS to keep the address after it was won.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Vectrexer wrote:How about a personalized email address from the LR domain?

Chris at legitreviews dot com might be a nice thing to have. Of course the winner would have to abide good taste and TOS to keep the address after it was won.
I can tell you right away that's not gonna happen! :ANAL:

There's too much potential for it to be miss-used. :axe:

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I've had a few too many staff writers abuse e-mail addresses to give those out.... Never ever going to happen!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

DMB2000uk wrote:

I can tell you right away that's not gonna happen! :ANAL:

There's too much potential for it to be miss-used. :axe:

Dan
Sure....now I want one... ](*,)
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

What I find funny is that the electric bill hasn't been delivered yet. Just wait to see how many people still want to fold for a prize after getting their bill. :lol: That prize isn't so free anymore. :lol:

There is no reason that my idea could not be used if we just agree on the amount of points to finish the folding war. You could always lower the points, I just didn't think that 1 million was to high. Who knows what the new graphic cards can fold.
Only time will tell.
novicegamer
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by novicegamer »

Have the contests then if there are any extra prizes draw from the regular folders so that way we dont discourage new people trying to win.Just my 2 cents :partyman:
#1 I7 960 12gigs corsair,EVGA GTX 580,asus P6TD,64gb OZC ssd,160gb raptor 1TB wd black,Thermaltake 850w
#2 I 7 960 @3.2ghz- 12gigs DDR3 n-videa 275 with 1795mb ddr3 lien-lie mid tower case- 1200wa-thermaltake ups-76gig raptor 160gig velocity raptor and 750gig WD.
#3 core2 duo 3.2ghz- 2gigs DDR2-n-videa 275 1795mb ddr3-2 76 gig raptors in raid 0- lien-lie mid tower case- 1k watt ups.1TB wd
#4 and #5 can't remeber but they still run good
Mad_Goku
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Mad_Goku »

Have the contest like normal and the winning team gets 3 entries into the drawing, second place gets two. Everyone else would get one entry. That's probably the best way.

BTW, I got my electric bill last week and for running 4 pc's with GPU folding it only went up $60.
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz
Asus P8P67 PRO
ATI 5870
8 GB G-Skill Ripjaw X 1600 @ 7-8-7-24
120gb G-Skill Sniper SSD