Anyone Used an AT&T Phone For Video Streaming Via Tethering?

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyone Used an AT&T Phone For Video Streaming Via Tethering?

Post by Apoptosis »

For CES this year I purchased into the AT&T tethering program for my BlackBerry Bold and purchased a Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 for bringing live content from the show. I was thinking I could stream the press conferences and all that good stuff and since many of the press conferences are in areas with no WiFi service or really expensive WiFi service I figured this would be the way to go.

The speeds look decent through my phone:
tether.png
tether.png (66.03 KiB) Viewed 2890 times
Anyone ever done something like this before?
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anyone Used an AT&T Phone For Video Streaming Via Tethering?

Post by Apoptosis »

so far no good... I can't get video to play smooth at all using USTREAM.TV as a service. Ugh... This might have been a waste of hours and ~$150...
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Call me dumb but is this similar to using my Blackberry via a USB cable and connecting to Sprint's wireless network? Because if it is then the service is dismal.
ckthecerealkiller
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by ckthecerealkiller »

Major_A wrote:Call me dumb but is this similar to using my Blackberry via a USB cable and connecting to Sprint's wireless network? Because if it is then the service is dismal.
It will be "similar" but we will have to assume Nate has full 3g coverage in the area. AT&T does have the best bandwidth but service can be a bit spotty here and there. The big problem with tethering is going to be the dismal latency. But still, those speeds look very good and I don't see why you would have a problem. I don't know much about ustream.tv but can you just put a large buffer on it to factor in the fluctuations?
little_tea_pot
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by little_tea_pot »

Using my Fuze (via custom winmo 6.5 rom) I got about 2.9 down 0.56 up with 4 bars inside the house. However it won't sustain those speeds and quickly slowed to a crawl with follow up testing. I have steamed Hulu HD in the past, but its not up to it tonight. Maybe there is too much demand, or perhaps AT&T is throttling the connection.
TooT! TooT!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

upload speed looks awfully low. that is like 384kbps. I know even with 768kbps on verizon dsl I still have problems even with lower resolution video through Skype sometimes. I want to try the hi-res 720p option in Skype, but i think it will be useless without at least 2mbps up speed.
ckthecerealkiller wrote:It will be "similar" but we will have to assume Nate has full 3g coverage in the area. AT&T does have the best bandwidth but service can be a bit spotty here and there. The big problem with tethering is going to be the dismal latency. But still, those speeds look very good and I don't see why you would have a problem. I don't know much about ustream.tv but can you just put a large buffer on it to factor in the fluctuations?
yea, we will just say "spotty" and laugh to ourselves ;)

I agree with the buffer - cant you buffer a LOT of it and then stream? It wont be true live coverage, but it would be better than nothing. I usually let all videos online buffer at least halfway before i play them just in case I drop bandwidth for some reason.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Velo:Sity

Post by Velo:Sity »

With significant buffering this might as well work. I really hope so- live coverage would be cool.