Windows 7 Problems

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Windows 7 Problems

Post by Razorbacx »

I'm needing some help with Windows 7 and hope that several of you out there can provide me assistance. I'll list my PC components to get that out of the way first:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
Processor: Q6600
RAM: Corsair XMS DDR2 800 (4 GB)
Video Card: EVGA 260 GTX
Hard Drives: 2 500GB WD HD's
PSU: Corsair 750TX
Optical Drives: Lite-On 24X SATA DVD Drive & a Lightscribe Drive that I pulled out of my old Gateway
Case: CoolerMaster Wave Master

IE8 keeps crashing on me and Windows randomly crashes (not sure if the two are related...yet). When Windows crashes it takes me to the Blue Screen of Death and some jibberish about Windows has inccurred an error, blah, blah, blah and then reboots itself. I wish that I could give more information regarding the error message, but it only lasts a few seconds before going into reboot mode. I checked the MS forums and see that other people are having the same problem or problems somewhat like mine and several people point towards the Flash Player Plug-in. Is anyone or has anyone out there had any of these same issues and is there a fix for it? I've DL'ed and installed Firefox in hopes to fix the problem, but at this point I am unclear if this is even an IE8 problem that is causing my PC to crash or if I have another issue.

Thanks,

Razorbacx
Don't ask me, cause I know nothing! I'm lost in this world of technology and am barely holding my head above water. Thank the Good Lord for LR, otherwise I would have drowned years ago.
nightblood
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Windows 7 Problems

Post by nightblood »

You always want to figure out if it is hardware or software causing the problem. Run a ram check to make sure your ram is good. You can download windows debug tools and look at the minidumps from the blue screen so you can pinpoint the problem better. Also be aware of what you are doing whenever it crashes.
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

There is an option to keep the BSOD message on screen instead of restarting automatically. I'm currently running under Windows XP so I'm not sure if the process is similar on Windows 7, but to change the setting, you right click on My Computer, then click properties, then the Advanced tab, then the Settings button under "Startup and Recovery", then there should be a checkbox for the option "Automatically restart." Uncheck it and maybe you'll be able to see what's causing the problem in the BSOD.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

As stated keep it from auto restarting. Write down the error code (example: 0x00000007A) and Google it. That's how I've found the answer to most blue screen issues I've had in the past. One time I had a PC that would randomly crash and refuse to restart. By Googling the error code I found that it was a faulty IDE cable connected to the DVD player.
shamrok3
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by shamrok3 »

Well for starters, don't use IE8, use Chrome, Safari or Opera (The best three browsers currently) Have you tried reinstalling W7? Has it been running for very long? I assume this is a custom build.
Multiple Exclamation marks - The first sign of an unsound mind.

Rig: Intel 3930K, Noctua U12P-SE2 , ASUS P9X79, 16GB RAM, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3, 2x3TB Seagate (RAID 0), 1TB Samsung F3, EVGA GTX760, CM 650 Watt PSU
NZXT HU002 Case, LG Blu-Ray Writer/Combo
21.5" BenQ E2200HD @ 1920x1080, Razer Lachesis/Lycosa/Sennheiser HD558, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

easiest way is the way you have done. Download Firefox and use it EXCLUSIVELY to see if the problem pops up again. I have no problems like this with Windows 7 and have been running it since almost the day it was released.

If Firefox crashes, then I would suspect either a corrupt install with windows, overheating, or maybe unstable memory. First thing is to check are your temps, then run the mem test, then try a repair reinstall so you dont lose any data. I have had problems where mem tests would run perfect for hours on a system but it ended up being the memory was the problem anyway - goofy, but true, just a FYI ;)

Mike

oh and for the love of god do NOT install Safari like Shamrok3 suggested - it is garbage on Windows!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

First off, I agree with everything Mike just said. Firefox is the way to go by a country mile, but that is just my opinion as I have had zero issues with using it. Memory errors are often the culprit when nothing else makes sense.

Secondly, I'm not sure how you access this with Win 7, but with XP, you can check your errors in the 'event viewer'. Many times I was able to identify blue screen errors by going into the even viewer after the reboot. With XP, click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event Viewer. Look for application or system errors marked by a red X.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Firefox plus Adblock Plus for the win. Not only does it lower CPU usage (not loading Flash video, etc...) it speeds up internet browsing.

Just make sure that your install has all the latest hotfixes issued by Microsoft.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Is the system overclocked at all?
Windows 7 is stable for the most part and shouldn't be crashing.

I would check hardware first, memeetst86+ etc.
Could try using a live Linux CD and see if it crashes while running that for a while.
This would eliminate any software as the issue.
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Razorbacx »

Here is what I've got:

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: FFFFF88003B4705B
BCP3: FFFFF880056C6698
BCP4: FFFFF880056C5EF0
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
Bucket ID: X64_0x7E_dxgmms1!VIDMM_GLOBAL::ReferenceAllocationForSubmission+10b
Server information: 656c1cee-56d8-4fb7-b009-2dd1a10e31fb

Any idea what any of this means?
Don't ask me, cause I know nothing! I'm lost in this world of technology and am barely holding my head above water. Thank the Good Lord for LR, otherwise I would have drowned years ago.
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Razorbacx »

Also, found the following in my event viewer.

Critical 1/4/2010 3:59:35 PM Kernel-Power 41 (63)
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Critical 1/4/2010 8:31:29 PM Kernel-Power 41 (63)
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Critical 12/30/2009 9:42:31 PM Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Critical 1/6/2010 10:56:51 AM Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Critical 1/4/2010 8:36:28 PM Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Critical 1/2/2010 10:17:58 AM Kernel-Power 41 (63)

Any thoughts? I also had tons of the following:

Error 12/30/2009 9:14:41 PM cdrom 7 None
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Try this link

Reading BSOD crash files
http://www.vistax64.com/software/219790 ... ost1007622

a quick search on "BCCode: 1000007e" seems to point to a driver issue
Some think it's Sound Blaster drivers, others fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling their motherboard drivers (which may have had a creative chipset onboard anyhow)
shamrok3
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by shamrok3 »

Just to defend my case, Safari runs great on windows (I actually use Chrome most of the time, except that it doesn't support FTP) and both Opera and Chrome are faster than Firefox by a mile. Current Opera has an option to compress all the graphics and optionally load all flash movies on the page, which further increases its speed. I only don't use Opera because I don't like its UI. It's probably the fastest browser out there, but Chrome is so much easier.
Multiple Exclamation marks - The first sign of an unsound mind.

Rig: Intel 3930K, Noctua U12P-SE2 , ASUS P9X79, 16GB RAM, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3, 2x3TB Seagate (RAID 0), 1TB Samsung F3, EVGA GTX760, CM 650 Watt PSU
NZXT HU002 Case, LG Blu-Ray Writer/Combo
21.5" BenQ E2200HD @ 1920x1080, Razer Lachesis/Lycosa/Sennheiser HD558, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Call me stupid, but just wipe the hard drive and start over. Back up everything you need and no big deal. Windows 7 is so easy to install.
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

Doesn't Windows 7 have limited activations?
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

I have to agree with kenc51. Those event viewer errors lead me to believe you may have faulty or conflicting audio drivers. Do you have more than one audio source? If so, disable all but your main audio source as conflicting audio sources can cause this problem. Do you have any of these drivers? ATI High Definition Audio Driver, VIA High Definition Audio. You can also disable the ati external event utility service.

If that is not the issue, check this out:
The "Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" and associated Event ID 41 are generic items that are encountered whenever there is an unexpected reboot. Not all are caused by the same thing, but the causes are varied enough that this is not an uncommon thing to encounter. Bad drivers and bad hardware are what causes bugchecks. Event ID 41 with a bugcheck code of 0 seems to be a spontaneous reboot - really, really bad drivers, or faulty hardware, or a power-cycle, or bad power, or loss of power, etc.

At this point, I'm inclined to agree that you may just want to reinstall Windows 7.