[Question] CPU & System Temps

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Baggs
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

[Question] CPU & System Temps

Post by Baggs »

I'll be quick.

I bought a new case (THERMALTAKE VH600LSWA ARMOR+ LCS), i installed everything correctly ( fan directions + watercooling) but i have this tiny problem.

After an intense gaming session (6+hours of demanding games) BIOS shows up 25 C CPU temp and 34 C System Temp.
Here's where the problem shows up.
While on windows, realtemp and core temp programs both give me the same results. CPU core temp 43 C + (no idea how to make system temp show up im an overclocking newb)

Which one is lying?

Oh yeah CPU is E8200 overclocked to 3.2 from 2.66 and i should also point out that while staring at the BIOS temps for a good 30 mins i noticed the system temp go up a good 5 degrees which is 100% caused from the gfx card since the manual fan speed option is only enabled while CCC is running.

Any ideas? Suggestions?
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: [Question] CPU & System Temps

Post by Major_A »

Most likely the BIOS is correct. Those temperatures are fine and are nothing to worry about. To monitor the fluctuations in the temperatures, even while gaming so you can observe them later is to use HWMonitor. It's free and will keep a record of the Low, Average, and High temperatures, etc... of your machine.
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Major_A wrote:Most likely the BIOS is correct.
I was thinking the same, but it just doesn't seem likely that the cpu temp is 25c (77f) after 6 hours of intense gaming. That is only a few degrees above room temp.

I use Real Temp and Hwmonitor on my machine and they always show the exact same temps.

Are you checking the reading for either both (dual core) or all 4 (quad) cores? Is it possible you have a stuck sensor? Have you made any adjustments to your TJMax?
Baggs
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Baggs »

Various software and their results : http://i45.tinypic.com/dzht9c.png

I might have typed this wrong about the 6h of gaming, a more accurate representation would be like this :

After 6h of gaming, having shut down every program, the temperatures are as shown above.
I believe realtemp recorded a maximum CPU core temp of 49 C.
Right after i read the software temps i rebooted and checked BIOS. Like shown in the pic above, it gave me a CPU temp of 25 C and 35 C for the system.

And no i didn't change TJMax, i dont even know what that is :)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

On realtemp, click the button that says "sensor test" and check if your temperature moves much. Ideally it'd be when the computer has been sat idle for a bit so the CPU has had chance to stabilize at a cool(er) temperature.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

CoreTemp and RealTemp measure the actual cores themselves. The BIOS is just measuring the temperature of the CPU. There are different sensors at work there. The motherboard has a built in sensor to keep tabs on the CPU and the CPU Cores. CoreTemp and RealTemp are only looking at the heat output of the individual cores. If you look at HWMonitor it closely resembles under CPU what your BIOS is reporting.
Baggs
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Baggs »

I thought that exact same thing about the readings being from different sensors this afternoon.
Also, i ran the full sensor test and highest CPU core temp reached was 51 C.

So what's the verdict?

Are these temps good?

I just now started "caring" about what temperatures my computer's hardware are running at, not sure what is considered "normal" or "good enough".

Thanks everyone for your help i really appreciate it.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Definitely a good temp to me. But then again anything under 60 C to me is fine. Other people have different thoughts.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Yeah, that's a good temp :)

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
skier

Post by skier »

Major_A wrote:Definitely a good temp to me. But then again anything under 60 C to me is fine. Other people have different thoughts.
my barrier is around 65C but i used to run my current CPU 24/7 at 75C. currently at 58C steady

-baggs those temps are just fine :)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups