DCOM service termination. computer keeps shutting down.

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Zadoul
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

DCOM service termination. computer keeps shutting down.

Post by Zadoul »

hello all, i have a problem with my computer where it will shut down after 10 or 15 minutes. Ive tried multiple solutions with no progress.

it gives me a message about DCOM service terminated unexpectedly or plug and play service termination. nothing i do seems to help the problem ive run scans for viruses and spyware and deleted what came up but it does not solve my problem..

Please any advice or solutions would be greatly appreciated! Please reply ASAP!! i need my computer working again!
sasamkd
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: DCOM service termination. computer keeps shutting down.

Post by sasamkd »

DCOM is service for something for networking...... and for the begining of the beginings I would try to install new windows.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

The DCOM service can be disabled entirely, and the plug and play service set to restart on failure. It's not so much a fix, as a work around, but it's more convenient than having to reinstall your whole PC.

As per the instructions in the other thread you posted in:

go to run > type "psexec -sid cmd.exe" > in cmd type "services.msc"

And in the services window, double click the plug and play/DCOM services, and set the recovery options to "restart the service".

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

DMB2000uk wrote:The DCOM service can be disabled entirely, and the plug and play service set to restart on failure. It's not so much a fix, as a work around, but it's more convenient than having to reinstall your whole PC.

And in the services window, double click the plug and play/DCOM services, and set the recovery options to "restart the service".

Dan

I think you just need to goto start / run and type "services.msc"
"psexec" is not installed by default (you need "PsTools") and is only required for remote access to a shell
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

kenc51 wrote:
DMB2000uk wrote:The DCOM service can be disabled entirely, and the plug and play service set to restart on failure. It's not so much a fix, as a work around, but it's more convenient than having to reinstall your whole PC.

Dan

I think you just need to goto start / run and type "services.msc"
"psexec" is not installed by default (you need "PsTools") and is only required for remote access to a shell
In that case it needs to be installed from here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96649.aspx

You can't change the recovery options of DCOM without being in the services panel as the 'SYSTEM' account, so if you know a cleaner way to get in and change it then be sure to post back :)

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)