AMD ddr3 or intel ddr3

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
monte
Legit User
Legit User

AMD ddr3 or intel ddr3

Post by monte »

well my brai is going crazy trying to decide on how to go about my first build. i am currently looking at an AMD board with the am3 socket and ddr3 as AMD is in my price range for a good processor if i go with the AMD i would use eather phenom II x2 or athalon II x2 id be doing gaming with it. i know people say intel is the best for gaming but id only be able to affoard something like the e6500 with ddr3. to be able to save up for something like an i5 and mobo and ddr3 would take me forever. not sure how good the 775 socket is

im just looking for some insight
Last edited by monte on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AMD ddr3 or intel ddr2

Post by Apoptosis »

what is your budget?

It usually helps to price out the complete systems and then pick between the two.

If money is tight then it might be cheaper to go with an AMD system with DDR3
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
monte
Legit User
Legit User

Re: AMD ddr3 or intel ddr3

Post by monte »

im looking at no more than 450 and that is stretching it i also need case and power supply my 350w i know isn't enough i did price up the AMD at 360 thats crosshair III with a phenom II black edithion 3.2
but im sure i could probably get the e series intel and mobo for around the same price not sure how good the 775 socket is
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

I say go with AMD. While it's true that Intel has the edge in performance, I don't think that affects gaming as much as having a great GPU, so the premium is probably not worth it.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Ever think about getting a refurb PC?

Something like this might not be a bad deal and can save you a few bucks:

Gateway DX4200-09 Desktop, Phenom X4 9100e 64-bit Quad-Core Processor, 4GB DDR2, 640GB HDD, Radeon HD3200 w/ HDMI, 18X DVD+/-R/RW, Keyboard and Mouse, Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)

$280

add in a used video card and you should be sitting pretty. It's only got a 300W PSU, but if you plan on going up to say a $100 GPU it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
monte
Legit User
Legit User

Post by monte »

ya that was all sold out
It usually helps to price out the complete systems and then pick between the two.
striker II and core 2 dou or pentium d 840 or crosshair II with athalon or phenom II are in my price range i am mainly doing board and processor as they are the bigest lump some ( sold some stuff so i have that lump of cash ) the ram case and power supply would be by pay check money and would only be 2 weeks to get

i am also looking to do this as it would be a first build i am running an AMD 2 socket know and like people have said i should upgrade to ddr3 instead of 2 and i also have no preferance between intel or AMD so kinda looking for fast and reliable along with easy to mess around with OC'ing for a noob should i decide to try it
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

I would think for gaming like others have said AMD would prob give you the best bang for the buck. Honestly you could go with a lower end Intel or AMD CPU and still get great gaming performance with a high end GPU and at least 2GB of RAM.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
monte
Legit User
Legit User

Post by monte »

wasnt sure on how much of a gain in performance the prossesor and mobo made compared to a good gpu
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

well put it this way - one of my computers at home has a 2.4GH P4 2gb RAM, the other is running a E6600 4Gb RAM - I put the same GPU in both systems and dont notice any difference playing. Thats at 1920x1200 with a ATI 5770 card max settings. In fact the older computer usally has a 5750 card in it and the only time I get a hint of slowdown is playing dirt2 with DX11 and max settings while playing online and having 5+ cars on the screen at the same time.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
commenda
Legit User
Legit User

Post by commenda »

AMD is usually the cheaper route.