Windows 7 Installing on IDE Raid 1

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Windows 7 Installing on IDE Raid 1

Post by dgood »

So I have a server desktop at work an old hp proliant server. It has dual xeon single core 3.06ghz processors and 2gb of ddr 400 ecc. I want to use it form my desktop in my office as the computer I was using is giving me fits. I tried to install windows 7 on the raid 1 array of 80gb 7200rpm disks. Windows said it couldn't find the hard disk. I tried saying to install a driver, but I don't really know what driver it would need as Ive never setup a computer with raid before. Kubuntu 9.10 sees the raid array and lets me install, but it fails to install the grub bootloader because of the array and my linux skills aren't good enough to manually install grub. Any tips to get windows to recognize the hard drive setup so I can install windows? The ide controller doesn't support normal ide functionality only raid. It has a secondary ide for optical drives however. Should I do raid 0? how will that make a difference? Thanks -Darin
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Windows 7 Installing on IDE Raid 1

Post by kenc51 »

Either check the motherboard for any model numbers etc, or use Ubuntu to list the hardware.
In Ubuntu type the following:

Code: Select all

sudo lspci
&
sudo dmesg
"lspci" will list all PCI devices and "dmesg" will show kernel messages which relate to hardware.
You should see the make/model of IDE/RAID controller. Once you have this, you can download the driver and copy it to usb.
Then install it when installing Win7.
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

HP ProLiant CSB-6 ATA-100 IDE RAID Driver

I believe is the integrated raid controller on the old motherboard. If anyone knows how to get a driver for vista or windows 7 that would be more ideal but will the windows server 2003 driver work?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

dgood wrote:HP ProLiant CSB-6 ATA-100 IDE RAID Driver

I believe is the integrated raid controller on the old motherboard. If anyone knows how to get a driver for vista or windows 7 that would be more ideal but will the windows server 2003 driver work?
You could try the 2003 server drivers, they "might" work as ATA controllers/drivers shouldn't have changed much between OS's.
It will tell you straight away when installing if will work or not, so worth a try
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

you could try the 2003 Drivers, since its a Server there might not be an actual driver for 7

do you have any of the original CD/DVD's maybe the smartStart CD?

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

It's an old server that we just re-inherited, as in we hadn't seen it in years and the people who were using it gave it back to us since we were the owners. It appears to have worked, I need to find an old pci sound card and what happened to the other two sticks of memory, but at least windows installed. I was half expecting windows 7 to have raid drivers built in for older hardware. That's what you get for making assumptions. This is an HP Proliant ML330 G3 server in case people wanted to know. now have it in Raid 0 (to give me more storage). Also need the second processor. Thanks to all that helped.