New video card

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

New video card

Post by Wifuzzy »

I have a 1 more computer with a PCI-E slot. I am gonna put a card in it. My debate is I am not putting a budget card in this one seeing as it the shot at an upgrade. Should I buy a 275/280 or waite for fermi?
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: New video card

Post by vbironchef »

I guess it depends on your power supply and budget. I would go with the 275 myself. Noise and heat are another issue to think about.
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

Also is DX 11 support important to you?
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

if i was you i wouldnt buy a last gen card. If I had to buy now id go with ATI 5xxx series. If you can wait then you could either get fermi when it comes out, or a 5xxx which will drop in price. Either way, why get old gen when new stuff is here/ on the horizon.
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

This card will be 100% folding so directx 11 means nothing to me for this card. As a side note I have a Asus P5N-T deluxe board I need to RMA. It can do triple SLI. The board is a 775 socket....what do I need to put in it in the way of a CPU to run Triple SLI for folding...any ideas?
.....Must catch darkstar....twitch...twitch...
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

You will never even come close to Darkstar_dd. All your looking to do is fry two or three graphic cards. Just wait three months. They will be toast.
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

Well.. I have a 8800 GTS 512 that has been folding for 1 year 24/7, XFX 260 Black edition has been folding for 6 - 8 months 24/7. The other cards are only a couple weeks old. 3 things I do to keep em running. 2 you can make happen one you may not be able to do anything about. 1) Good solid PSU 2) cards get blown out at least once a month and I use riva tuner to set the fan speeds to 70% or 80%....keeps the temps way down (see#3) 3) I live in Canada...my computer room is in the basement, I have the heat turned off in this room and it is about -10 F outside right now. air temp in here is about 55 - 60. In the summer time I open the vents back up and the central air keeps this room even colder.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Sounds very good. Wish I had a basement. Sometimes I wish I lived in Canada. So what have you deceided on for a new graphic card?
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

I wish I could drop $250 on a video card just for folding. If you are going to be folding triple SLI I dont think the CPU matters really. prob can just throw in the cheapest one.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

vbironchef wrote:Sounds very good. Wish I had a basement. Sometimes I wish I lived in Canada. So what have you deceided on for a new graphic card?
I think I'll waite for Fermi (sounds like some chicks pet name for a dick) I might change my mind...but I might as well waite since it will not be that long.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

In the mean time are you running a SMP Client? I am going to try tonight. I thought with my new rig I could try the new Client and get some more points.
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

vbironchef wrote:In the mean time are you running a SMP Client? I am going to try tonight. I thought with my new rig I could try the new Client and get some more points.
Running VMWare player and notfred on the AMD 965 I won...getting about 4000-4500 PPD out of it.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Running VMWare player and notfred. I don't have a clue what that is. Looks like i'm in for a long night.
Wifuzzy
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Wifuzzy »

vbironchef wrote:Running VMWare player and notfred. I don't have a clue what that is. Looks like i'm in for a long night.
Read this post http://forums.legitreviews.com/post158674.html#p158674 .....warning, it takes for granted you know some things. Like when you start VMplayer it does tell you to open the image file you downloaded and does not tell you that you need to click on start virtual machine (or something like that) to run it.....after that...just do what it says.