Is this ok for the cheapest build???

Discussions about AMD Processors and overclocking. Need help with that new AMD CPU or not sure which one to buy? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Processors only!
hades the gamer
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Is this ok for the cheapest build???

Post by hades the gamer »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

This is for me cause my 5200+ is going to burn out soon
and i dont ve any more money at this time to put on a PC so.... i will put more ram afterwards
I just wanted to know weather the board is good for the CPU and RAM and will it OC the CPU to at least 3.6GHZ???

Thank you :)
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Is this ok for the cheapest build???

Post by stev »

You get what you pay for .... as the saying goes.

If any of those selected components have the ability for upgrading later, it may be a good choice.

Sometimes, buying a complete system like an Acer low end gaming machine is a better bet.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
hades the gamer
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

stev wrote:You get what you pay for .... as the saying goes.

If any of those selected components have the ability for upgrading later, it may be a good choice.

Sometimes, buying a complete system like an Acer low end gaming machine is a better bet.
hmmmm but buying and ACER means i ve to buy HDD case PSU monitor n evrything else which i DONT WANT!!!!!!
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

hades the gamer wrote:

hmmmm but buying and ACER means i ve to buy HDD case PSU monitor n evrything else which i DONT WANT!!!!!!
My son bought a complete system without the monitor for only $319 at best buy. You can use your current monitor from the dying machine.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
hades the gamer
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

stev wrote:
hades the gamer wrote:

My son bought a complete system without the monitor for only $319 at best buy. You can use your current monitor from the dying machine.
hmmmm what are the specs???
kurahk7
Legit User
Legit User

Post by kurahk7 »

hades the gamer wrote:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

This is for me cause my 5200+ is going to burn out soon
and i dont ve any more money at this time to put on a PC so.... i will put more ram afterwards
I just wanted to know weather the board is good for the CPU and RAM and will it OC the CPU to at least 3.6GHZ???

Thank you :)
for your processor, you can get this instead http://www.frys.com/product/6039218?sit ... IN_RSLT_PG
wow, I just checked the link, and fry's doesn't even have the processor anymore....
Last edited by kurahk7 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core i5 750
ASUS nVidia GeForce 9800gt Glaciator Fansink
Msi P55-GD55
4GB OCZ Plantium PC3-10666 (7-7-7-20 2t)
OCZ ModXStream 700 Watt Semi-Modular
Toshiba DVD Spermulti Drive SATA 2
Antec 900
Hitachi 1TB 32mb 7200RPM SATA2
Running Windows 7 Ultimate x64
hades the gamer
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Dude its like half the rate of what it is in newegg.... how's that possible??
kurahk7
Legit User
Legit User

Post by kurahk7 »

hades the gamer wrote:Dude its like half the rate of what it is in newegg.... how's that possible??
I went to fry's yesterday and they told me that it was discontinued, which got me thinking, why is it discontinued so early?
Intel Core i5 750
ASUS nVidia GeForce 9800gt Glaciator Fansink
Msi P55-GD55
4GB OCZ Plantium PC3-10666 (7-7-7-20 2t)
OCZ ModXStream 700 Watt Semi-Modular
Toshiba DVD Spermulti Drive SATA 2
Antec 900
Hitachi 1TB 32mb 7200RPM SATA2
Running Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Jodox
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Jodox »

Phenom II X2 555 is gonna be faster that that tri-core u chose and will use less power. Also, its Black Edition so Overclocking takes 0 effort. With the right motherboard(gonna cost a bit more than the one u chose) u can unlock it to a quad core..... so ~$200 can get you a quad core 3.2ghz. If however, you really cant spend the extra $50 on the parts then I think i saw a CPU+mobo deal on newegg for $105. CPU was the one u chose and mobo something a bit worse.

Also, you never mentioned anything about a CPU cooler, and your specs for ur current processor are at default, so I'll assume you dont have one yet. Don't overclock at all without a cooler, especially if your going with the Phenom which already has a high clock speed. The 3.6Ghz u want can be easily obtained with just about any cooler. Scythe Mugen 2 is not much worse than the best air coolers out right now, and its EXTREMELY cheap, probably the cheapest one that doesnt fail entirely. If you care about looks, Xigmatech dark knight gives decent cooling and is around the same price.
hades the gamer
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Jodox wrote:Phenom II X2 555 is gonna be faster that that tri-core u chose and will use less power. Also, its Black Edition so Overclocking takes 0 effort. With the right motherboard(gonna cost a bit more than the one u chose) u can unlock it to a quad core..... so ~$200 can get you a quad core 3.2ghz. If however, you really cant spend the extra $50 on the parts then I think i saw a CPU+mobo deal on newegg for $105. CPU was the one u chose and mobo something a bit worse.

Also, you never mentioned anything about a CPU cooler, and your specs for ur current processor are at default, so I'll assume you dont have one yet. Don't overclock at all without a cooler, especially if your going with the Phenom which already has a high clock speed. The 3.6Ghz u want can be easily obtained with just about any cooler. Scythe Mugen 2 is not much worse than the best air coolers out right now, and its EXTREMELY cheap, probably the cheapest one that doesnt fail entirely. If you care about looks, Xigmatech dark knight gives decent cooling and is around the same price.
Great info man :)
now i can get that phenom II but its costlier than the athlon II X4 620 and if my mobo fails in unlocking the 2cores the it will do no good for me.....
so if possible i will get the x4 620 with a decent mobo..... and abt the cooler.... i wanted to buy the HYPER 212 form CM after a few months...
hades the gamer
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Jodox wrote:Phenom II X2 555 is gonna be faster that that tri-core u chose and will use less power. Also, its Black Edition so Overclocking takes 0 effort. With the right motherboard(gonna cost a bit more than the one u chose) u can unlock it to a quad core..... so ~$200 can get you a quad core 3.2ghz. If however, you really cant spend the extra $50 on the parts then I think i saw a CPU+mobo deal on newegg for $105. CPU was the one u chose and mobo something a bit worse.

Great info man :)
now i can get that phenom II but its costlier than the athlon II X4 620 and if my mobo fails in unlocking the 2cores the it will do no good for me.....
so if possible i will get the x4 620 with a decent mobo..... and abt the cooler.... i wanted to buy the HYPER 212 form CM after a few months...
Jodox
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Jodox »

The Phenom is going to be faster for 90% of all applications, the other 10% that actually utilize all 4 cores, you probably will never use anyway, the $5 difference is negligable. and it's not really a gamble whether ur motherboard will be able to unlock it. Go google it you should find a list of all the motherboards that can unlock the other 2 cores, these are probably going to be in about the 100 dollar range tho. Besides, if u get the x4 620, you're going to have a hard time getting it to 3.6Ghz, if at all.
hades the gamer
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Jodox wrote:The Phenom is going to be faster for 90% of all applications, the other 10% that actually utilize all 4 cores, you probably will never use anyway, the $5 difference is negligable. and it's not really a gamble whether ur motherboard will be able to unlock it. Go google it you should find a list of all the motherboards that can unlock the other 2 cores, these are probably going to be in about the 100 dollar range tho. Besides, if u get the x4 620, you're going to have a hard time getting it to 3.6Ghz, if at all.
Hmmm i saw some great tests at extreme overclockers.com and almost in all the tests the quad athlon was at top... however the phenom II was in the last 4...
it did great in single core apps....and topped the list in that.... but then in games too the 555 was at top and all the quad's in the bottom...
and not only the 555 but all the dual cores wer at top... idk y??
But if i buy the 555 and when i unlock the cores and it turns out to be unstable then its of no use for me.... and also GTA 4 runs great on quad's right??
Jodox
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Jodox »

The quad core has higher score on the tests because most benchmarks actually use all cores, games however..... most can't even use 2 cores. Doesn't matter what the clock speed is, for CPU scores, almost always the biggest factor is amount of cores and not clock speed. Typical games and applications however, depend more on clock speed rather than cores because they can only use one anyway.
About the unlocking of cores, haven't done it myself and not sure if it will be unstable or not but I'm sure if you spend a few minutes on google you can find guides on how to unlock and which motherboards to use.
DL13
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL13 »

What is your budget? You might be able to just get a new board and cpu and still use the rest of your hardware and just up grad the others later on.
Don't bother unlocking any core you run a very high risk of damaging the cpu than what will you have left.
Gigabyte MA790FXTA-UD5 / Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.41Mhz / Mushkin 2X2GB 1333 / XFX 5870 1GB / Cooler Master HAF 932 / Win 7 Pro 64 / ACER G24 LCD 24"
hades the gamer
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Jodox wrote:The quad core has higher score on the tests because most benchmarks actually use all cores, games however..... most can't even use 2 cores. Doesn't matter what the clock speed is, for CPU scores, almost always the biggest factor is amount of cores and not clock speed. Typical games and applications however, depend more on clock speed rather than cores because they can only use one anyway.
About the unlocking of cores, haven't done it myself and not sure if it will be unstable or not but I'm sure if you spend a few minutes on google you can find guides on how to unlock and which motherboards to use.
Hmmmm so then i will buy the X2 550... which will come under my budget.... :D
and i m going to buy all the parts after march 15!!! so till then i will save a bit more money and get the ASUS V-EVO mobo and the x550 which will be at even less price :)
hades the gamer
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Jodox wrote:The quad core has higher score on the tests because most benchmarks actually use all cores, games however..... most can't even use 2 cores. Doesn't matter what the clock speed is, for CPU scores, almost always the biggest factor is amount of cores and not clock speed. Typical games and applications however, depend more on clock speed rather than cores because they can only use one anyway.
Hmmmm so then i will buy the X2 550... which will come under my budget.... :D
and i m going to buy all the parts after march 15!!! so till then i will save a bit more money and get the ASUS V-EVO mobo and the x550 which will be at even less price :)
DL13 wrote:What is your budget? You might be able to just get a new board and cpu and still use the rest of your hardware and just up grad the others later on.
Don't bother unlocking any core you run a very high risk of damaging the cpu than what will you have left.
My budget is around 280 $ (i.e, by march 15) thats the day m gonna buy everything :)
and how m using all the other parts accept RAM, CPU AND MOBO!!!!!!!!
DL13
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL13 »

hades the gamer wrote: My budget is around 280 $ (i.e, by march 15) thats the day m gonna buy everything :)
A board like this ASUS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131618 So all you need is this board and a cpu. It runs AM3 using DDR2 ram.
Gigabyte MA790FXTA-UD5 / Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.41Mhz / Mushkin 2X2GB 1333 / XFX 5870 1GB / Cooler Master HAF 932 / Win 7 Pro 64 / ACER G24 LCD 24"
hades the gamer
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

DL13 wrote:
hades the gamer wrote: My budget is around 280 $ (i.e, by march 15) thats the day m gonna buy everything :)
A board like this ASUS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131618 So all you need is this board and a cpu. It runs AM3 using DDR2 ram.
Now thats really tempting :) :) :)
but i think am3 CPU's run better giving better fps in games using a DDR3 ram instead of DDR2 !!!
DL13
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL13 »

hades the gamer wrote:
DL13 wrote:
Now thats really tempting :) :) :)
but i think am3 CPU's run better giving better fps in games using a DDR3 ram instead of DDR2 !!!
I don't see any differences, My sons rig has a AM2+ Phenom X4, 4GB of DDR2 ram and he plays Modern Warfare 2 and me I play it too just look at my sig, and mine is 10 times better than my sons. Now the Fps is more to do with the GPU, better the video card better the fps. If you take the same setup on a rig and use a low end card and play MW2 you more likely get lagging, now take that same rig and put a high end card in it and the lagging is gone.
A good gaming rig will have at lest (what I think is a good one is) a duel core cpu, 4GB of ram, mid rang board of higher, mid rang video card or higher.