Pirating better than paying for movies? (humor)

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
FZ1

Pirating better than paying for movies? (humor)

Post by FZ1 »

So true...I am SO over the 50 million ads and legal warnings at the beginning of every DVD. :lol:

Joe
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Pirating better than paing for movies? (humor)

Post by Major_A »

You can skip a step on the pirated side, double click and watch movie.

Side note: I use SageTV on my HTPC and you can rip the DVD folders and have the software play them fine. But without DVDFab and Nero Recode I'd still have to watch all that crap.
KnightRid

Re: Pirating better than paying for movies? (humor)

Post by KnightRid »

most coming attractions and such can be skipped by pressing menu or root menu on your remote.

I agree the crap is useless. If you are going to pirate a movie, does that FBI warning really stop you from doing it? It would be neat to have a poll for all the world to see how well that warning reduces piracy LOL

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Some people are of the mindset that Hollywood actors already make enough money through advertising (millions) without worrying about DVD sales.

Hell, Simon Cowell makes a cool $50 million a year just from American Idol...that's Friggin' Ridiculous! That's nearly a million dollars a week! :shock: He makes more in a week than some people earn in a lifetime. Why anyone needs that kind of money is beyond comprehension.

And no, the warning doesn't deter piracy. If someone is going to pirate movies, then that warning is not going to stop them.
techking13
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by techking13 »

About time someone figured it out...I wish movie makers would catch on.
slugbug
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by slugbug »

I hate not being able to skip those damn previews on DVD and Blu Ray movies I own.
Dany
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Dany »

HAHAHA but Downloading its illlegal and bad for the economie
Legit User
Legit User

Post by sticky »

It's better you buy movies, depending on the movie and the price and quality of purchase.

Economic and Legal issues aside - and the fact that a good movie director deserves his cut - However which way you go, whether by credit card or bandwidth, You're paying for your download.

As for PC games? SUPPORT THE INDUSTRY! can you imagine a world without quality PC games? I ain't reverting back to analogue OR Hero's Quest!
Dizz01
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Dizz01 »

Lolz

The cost to make a DVD is stupid. It's like a dollar for them to make a DVD with all packaging done and shipped and they try to sell them for $20+ USD new? Then force us to look at previews and piracy laws. Give me a break. If they sold dvds that went STRAIGHT to the movie I'd probably consider buying more DVDs but at this point I rarely watch/buy dvds unless I REALLLLY want it.
AMD Phenom II x6 1075T @3.3▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂Three Hundred Antec Case
Asus M4A785TD M-EVO▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂500w OCZ Modular PSU
Noctua CPU Cooler▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂500Gig WD HDD
4Gig OCZ Gold Edition 1600 Ram▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂ASUS ATI 7770 2GIG!
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Razorbacx »

This whole pirating thing just infuriates me! Why don'ty they put the warning in Chinese as they are the biggest pirates of them all! That is absolute fact. The RIAA will go after some one parent family for downloading mp3's, but won't do anything to stop China from pirating everything they can get their hands on. My opinion, this digital copyright law is nothing more than a special interest job on the American public to scare us into spending millions and billions on an industry that consistently puts out crap and is severely lacking in morals to begin with.

The gaming industry is almost as bad. When is the last time that any company delivered a game that worked flawlessly right out of the box? You end up dl'ing several fixes due to issues that had they properly beta tested their product prior to releasing it into the public domain they would have discovered. They use the public, after you spent your $50.00 to $60.00, to beta test it for them for free.

WHEW....I feel so much better now...HA!
Don't ask me, cause I know nothing! I'm lost in this world of technology and am barely holding my head above water. Thank the Good Lord for LR, otherwise I would have drowned years ago.
djpinc19
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by djpinc19 »

Razorbacx wrote:This whole pirating thing just infuriates me! Why don'ty they put the warning in Chinese as they are the biggest pirates of them all! That is absolute fact. The RIAA will go after some one parent family for downloading mp3's, but won't do anything to stop China from pirating everything they can get their hands on. My opinion, this digital copyright law is nothing more than a special interest job on the American public to scare us into spending millions and billions on an industry that consistently puts out crap and is severely lacking in morals to begin with.

The gaming industry is almost as bad. When is the last time that any company delivered a game that worked flawlessly right out of the box? You end up dl'ing several fixes due to issues that had they properly beta tested their product prior to releasing it into the public domain they would have discovered. They use the public, after you spent your $50.00 to $60.00, to beta test it for them for free.

it's because Chinese people have easy access to the pirated content once its being sold on the street with very little legal enforcement. even in the los angeles chinatown, its not that hard to find Avatar on a Blu-Ray disk or an Action Replay for a DS
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

Razorbacx wrote:This whole pirating thing just infuriates me! Why don'ty they put the warning in Chinese as they are the biggest pirates of them all! That is absolute fact. The RIAA will go after some one parent family for downloading mp3's, but won't do anything to stop China from pirating everything they can get their hands on. My opinion, this digital copyright law is nothing more than a special interest job on the American public to scare us into spending millions and billions on an industry that consistently puts out crap and is severely lacking in morals to begin with.

Racist much? I'm Chinese and I feel insulted now. I may be a pirate, but we're not the only piraters out there. We're also not the only people that upload them.
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I see where Razorbacx's coming from. Aside from the fact that the RIAA and MPAA are only recongized entities inside the borders of the US that is why.

But, to elaborate on the going after single families I agree. Sure Jane Doe's 8 year old got caught downloading the latest Barney CD and now she has to pay $50,000. At the same time you can go to any flea market and see booths of people hawking this stuff and getting away with it. Seems like I would be going after the people selling this stuff rather than the person who downloads. To me this seems a whole lot more like stealing than the occasional download.
Jodox
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Jodox »

I don't think its racist really, I mean theres a billion chinese people so using logic of course there's more chinese piraters than any other ethnicity. Hell, theres probably more chinese piraters than the population of Canada. But seriously, what can they do about it at this point, any security they try to add to prevent piracy gets defeated almost instantly, and if they increase the enforcement, thats about a hundred million arrests/lawsuits.
Chaos_Plague_Marine
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Chaos_Plague_Marine »

Haha, funny. Also sad, though because it is quite true. I think something needs to change in the movie industry, not that it actually will.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Seems there may be a workaround for this...
http://lifehacker.com/5518076/hit-stop- ... d-warnings
Joe
Cairtorm
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Cairtorm »

sticky wrote:It's better you buy movies, depending on the movie and the price and quality of purchase.

Economic and Legal issues aside - and the fact that a good movie director deserves his cut - However which way you go, whether by credit card or bandwidth, You're paying for your download.

As for PC games? SUPPORT THE INDUSTRY! can you imagine a world without quality PC games? I ain't reverting back to analogue OR Hero's Quest!
Most people would want quality gaming... That would get some independent people creating stuff (I don't see how it could have more bugs than BFBC2)...
Problem would be about the graphic programs, not many enthusiastic people creating those...
RadMos
Legit User
Legit User

Post by RadMos »

I use and buy on CinemaNow are downloads. But legally and has good prices on buying and renting movies. :oops: