Am I running a bit hot with this p4 3.0ghz no-oc

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
Lyoooha
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Am I running a bit hot with this p4 3.0ghz no-oc

Post by Lyoooha »

Hello, my pretty basic but big coolermaster fan cooler goes past 4000rpm after like 2 mins of on-time (even in bios) to cool the CPU from temperature of 75•c to target temperature of 68•c as set in bios under hardware management. So the fan sounds a little loud. This is the loudest computer I've assembled. Just wondering maybe I should add thermal paste or something.

I've looked around on the Internet, but by reading peoples posts Ive gotten confused between the Cpu and MB temp readings.

here's a screen shot of the computer after couple of minutes in bios:

any input is greatly appreciated

Best regards ,

Alex
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Am I running a bit hot with this p4 3.0ghz no-oc

Post by Apoptosis »

You might want to make sure it is seated properly and that the thermal compound is okay. YOu usually need to re-do the thermal compound a few times a year depending on the kind that you use.

That temperature isn't high enough to worry about chip damage though, so the loud fan might be bothering you, but that is it.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
fordmayhem
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by fordmayhem »

What.

You didnt apply thermal paste?

Then thats your reason.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

Ya, that temp is too high. Remove the heatsink and reinstall it using Arctic Silver or Ceramique. Don't use too much as this is one of those times where more is NOT better.
Lyoooha
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Lyoooha »

I am sure I applied thermal paste, but maybe I put too much this time. it was long time ago. Where should I buy thermal paste. What temp should I be aiming for in cAse of both Cpu and Motherboard
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

You can buy thermal compound at Newegg.com or any other PC etailer. I would expect temps of low to mid 30's at idle.
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

ibleet wrote:You can buy thermal compound at Newegg.com or any other PC etailer. I would expect temps of low to mid 30's at idle.
Depends completely on the CPU and heatsink. I do agree though that 69C is a bit high especially for a stock clocked Netburst processor even on a stock cooler.
3DMark06 Addict