Patriot Box Office HD Media Player Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
shaxs
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: Patriot Box Office HD Media Player Review

Post by shaxs »

It should be here today so we will see how it goes. Is there a way to sync files to the Patriot hard drive via wireless from my main pc? Also, seems to be some Windows 7 compatibility issue
shaxs
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by shaxs »

Also is there a benefit over using an internal hd of an external usb 2.0 one.
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

shaxs wrote:Is there a way to sync files to the Patriot hard drive via wireless from my main pc? Also, seems to be some Windows 7 compatibility issue
You can view the Patriot's hard drive from your PC by browsing the network neighborhood in Windows. You will see the PBO as "Venus" device in the workgroup. Yes, there has been reports of W7 not playing nice with shares for both the Patriot and Western Digital players. Patriot has some instructions on how to get around any issues you may have with W7 shares here.
shaxs wrote:Also is there a benefit over using an internal hd of an external usb 2.0 one.
Besides taking up less space, the internal drive is accessible on the net for data transfer (I'm not certain that an attached drive will show up to a PC). Not sure of any other advantages... :-k
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
shaxs
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by shaxs »

Digital Puppy wrote: Patriot has some instructions on how to get around any issues you may have with W7 shares here.

Besides taking up less space, the internal drive is accessible on the net for data transfer (I'm not certain that an attached drive will show up to a PC). Not sure of any other advantages... :-k
I followed the directions and thankfully it didnt tank my Xbox 360 connectivity to Media Center. The Patriot just arrived. I will test and report back.
shaxs
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by shaxs »

Okay I setup. So far my impressions are really good! This thing is SMALL. Really small wow. The files I need to stream work perfectly over wireless. Granted, I haven't watch an entire episode yet but so far so good. A couple of bas things. The interface is clunky- imo. I wish they were more like the buffalo link theatre. Also, the fan is LOOUUDDD.. A patriot Representative said on their forum:

"We apologize for the fan issues you've been having. If you wish.. we would happy to replace the unit for you.. or..

if you have no plans for HDD inside, you CAN unplug the yellow and black wire fan connector from the board. That cooling fan is stricly to increase air flow due to limited limited internal air flow IF you adding a HDD."

So I guess I will give that a shot.
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

shaxs wrote:Okay I setup. So far my impressions are really good! This thing is SMALL. Really small wow. The files I need to stream work perfectly over wireless. Granted, I haven't watch an entire episode yet but so far so good. A couple of bas things. The interface is clunky- imo. I wish they were more like the buffalo link theatre. Also, the fan is LOOUUDDD.. A patriot Representative said on their forum:

"We apologize for the fan issues you've been having. If you wish.. we would happy to replace the unit for you.. or..

if you have no plans for HDD inside, you CAN unplug the yellow and black wire fan connector from the board. That cooling fan is stricly to increase air flow due to limited limited internal air flow IF you adding a HDD."

So I guess I will give that a shot.
Cool, glad you are up and running. Glad to know your wireless streaming is working too!
shaxs
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by shaxs »

I just got done watching 4 shows with the wife..... all without a hitch! I disconnected the fan inside the box and now it is super quiet. The jump to time feature is really nice, although the fast forward function doesn't work all that well.

Considering I bought an Xbox 360 at Amazon for $200 + $100 amazon gift card, sold the Xbox for $150, then used $100 credit to purchase the Patriot with wireless adapter for $130 before $30 rebate, this thing cost me only $50 in the end. GREAT deal for me ;)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Patriot Box Office HD Media Player Firmware Update

Post by Apoptosis »

We just posted up a one page article on the new firmware and showed off the new Blu-Ray ISO playback that the latest firmware unlocks: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1147/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
DX
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DX »

OOOOOO this I have to have.
AMD 960T OC'ed to 4gz
ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970
2 X G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)(16gb)
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2682-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

For those who have had issues with the volume of the Box Office fan, Patriot is replacing your fan for free. To get your replacement fan, follow the instructions below:
Issue: abnormal high pitch fan noises.

Cause of the issue: Fan axel lubricant leakage

Replacement procedure:

Send an email to...

to: [email protected]
subject: PBO Fan Replacement 9331

First, Last Name
Shipping address
Place where you purchase the unit
Product serial code which you can find from...
1) product packaging
2) internal drive cage by removing the shell of the enclosure
henri43
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by henri43 »

I bought a box office last month and it's ok. Today I'm watching a movie but it suddenly stop after a few minutes. Only the green light for the power is still on. I turn off the power for a few minutes and turn it on again. The red light for LAN/ACC and the green light for power and HDD are on but the green light on the external hard hard is off. I turn the power off for a few minutes and turn it on again but it still doesn't work. There is no signal on the tv. Can you tell me what is the problem.
shamrok3
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by shamrok3 »

Digital Puppy wrote: Is it louder than my PS3 when its fan kicks on? nope, not by a long shot.
Must be pretty damn quiet, cause I can't hear my PS3 at ALL, have to be within 1m of it to *possibly* hear some fan noise. Do you have one of the new slimline PS3s or one of the old, fat ones?
Multiple Exclamation marks - The first sign of an unsound mind.

Rig: Intel 3930K, Noctua U12P-SE2 , ASUS P9X79, 16GB RAM, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3, 2x3TB Seagate (RAID 0), 1TB Samsung F3, EVGA GTX760, CM 650 Watt PSU
NZXT HU002 Case, LG Blu-Ray Writer/Combo
21.5" BenQ E2200HD @ 1920x1080, Razer Lachesis/Lycosa/Sennheiser HD558, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
eli2k
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by eli2k »

I was wondering if anyone who has this player can comment on how subtitles work. I just looked at the user manual, and it looks like you just rename an srt file to the same filename as the video file? What about subtitles that are embedded in mkv files; will these just not show up? Thanks.
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

eli2k wrote:I was wondering if anyone who has this player can comment on how subtitles work. I just looked at the user manual, and it looks like you just rename an srt file to the same filename as the video file? What about subtitles that are embedded in mkv files; will these just not show up? Thanks.
I only have a handful of MKVs with subs in them and I can tell you that this player (as well as the WD and Seagate) play them. There is an option on the remote to toggle them on/off when your movie starts to play. I'm no expert in encoding movies with subs, but if you want to send me a clip (or tell me where to find one) I can test it out further for you.

BTW, welcome to the forums! :)
eli2k
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by eli2k »

Thanks for the welcome, Digital Puppy!

I usually have my video files encoded into avi or mkv files, and then my mom wants subtitles in Vietnamese, so I throw it in there with the video file and it works on the computer (eg Media Player Classic or VLC). I have an HTPC hooked up to the TV but she is lazy to learn how to use it, and I was thinking the Patriot system might make it easier. I wish I could try it somewhere and then return it if it's not useful.
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

Not to dig up old threads but.......

Newegg has this with free shipping and a $35 mail in rebate so i couldnt pass it up.

New firmware update incluses Blu Ray ISO and HDDVD support.

i installed a HD and plugged it in and cant hear the fan so maybe that issue was taken care of too....

I plan on loading it up and velcroing it to the wall behind a 46" Samsung LCD.

Anyone else get on since the review?

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

I was jonesing for one of these for awhile but ultimately was discouraged by the idea of having to wait for firmware revisions, also scared off by the lack of operating controls on the box itself ie: if the remote dies then you have a brick. Much cheaper than an HTPC, but then again my HTPC will play some games, check email, and do videditing as well as play BlueRay rips on my LCD...
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

Kaos Kid wrote:I was jonesing for one of these for awhile but ultimately was discouraged by the idea of having to wait for firmware revisions, also scared off by the lack of operating controls on the box itself ie: if the remote dies then you have a brick. Much cheaper than an HTPC, but then again my HTPC will play some games, check email, and do videditing as well as play BlueRay rips on my LCD...
All good points, but for less than $100, these boxes aren't bad to attach to your secondary TV or monitor. I love the way I can control content on my kid's screens. I think the firmware issue with these are now almost moot. We have seen it's all about the chipset being used..and even the chipsets are converging on having the same functionality. Not sure what else a firmware is going to improve with the current corps of players/chipsets already out.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

I agree 100% that they would be great for kids TVs (as long as the kids don't fubar the remote). I myself have been using RCA DVD/Divx players on my kids' TVs and those work fairly well for Xvid files (sometimes had to reencode with AutoGK) but this box would probably trump that hands down due to the much wider variety of files playable on it. Have you been using the reference box you wrote the review with since then? How has it been holding up?

Edit: to answer your earlier question I believe AutoGK gives you the option of adding subs to an encoded file, they are probably hardcoded though. You can use DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD to .vobs and get the subs off of the web that you need.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll: