Antec Nine Hundred Two Ultimate Gaming Case Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The best-selling Antec Nine Hundred offers gamers an unbeatable enclosure, one that delivers a combination of cooling, performance and convenience that stands head and shoulders above the competition. The newer Antech Nine Hundred Two builds on this design with improved airflow and dominating style.

The Antec Nine Hundred Two case is the perfect case for builders who are just getting started or those of us who have been building machines for years. Antec makes the case incredibly versatile by allowing the user to practically customize the location for each storage device. Fan locations and controls are ideal and can be easily reached. All the fans are essentially quiet on their slowest settings, but this is more than enough to keep your rig cool. For hard-core enthusiasts, you can still crank the fans sacrificing noise comfort for airflow. Working with the Antec Nine Hundred Two was very easy...
Article Title: Antec Nine Hundred Two Ultimate Gaming Case Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1207/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Antec Nine Hundred Two Ultimate Gaming Case Review

Post by gwolfman »

My v1 collects so much dust it's annoying. Also, I like how they added the cable management slots/cutouts. I didn't see a good side picture of the drive cages, but I hate how the v1 requires the long skinny screwdriver just to mounts the HDDs; then all the thumbscrews to secure it in the case. Very inconvenient!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Yeah the 900 is not a "tweaker" case, if you constantly take stuff in and out of the case its very annoying.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
jnanster
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jnanster »

I have a v1 also and never had problems with the funky hard-bays screws, they just kinda auto-lined up.
BUT
I do have the Corsair 750 with all those log power cables and what a mess.
got the majority stuffed into the lower bay area (which probably totally negates the cooling from the fan in that bay.

Can I cut those extra cables off? :|
ga-z77-dh3 (great & cheap O/C'er from Gigabyte)
i2600k/16 gigs Kingson 1600 (OC'ed to 4.5Ghz)
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 + (lapped, smok'in deal, 38C idle, 65C loaded)
MSI GTX 660ti Power Edition
Antec 900 case (quiet)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

jnanster wrote:I have a v1 also and never had problems with the funky hard-bays screws, they just kinda auto-lined up.
BUT
got the majority stuffed into the lower bay area (which probably totally negates the cooling from the fan in that bay.

lol, if you're sure you'll never need them ever again, and you make sure to insulate all the wire stubs separately afterwards, then yeah, you can theoretically cut them off. But it'd void whatever waranty you might have left with it, and you'd not be able to use that PSU in another system that might need more of the cables than you're currently using. (Also if you don't insulate the cut wires individually/properly you could cause a short and the PSU could burn out).

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

jnanster wrote:I have a v1 also and never had problems with the funky hard-bays screws, they just kinda auto-lined up.
BUT

You can always crack open the case and heat up the solder on the ones you don't want and remove them (might need to add some solder as well once they are removed to get the rest secured). That seems like a safer bet if you ask me and since you are going to void the warranty either way it won't matter. The bad thing about cutting wires shorter is that you still have a hot wire that needs to be taped or capped off.
Follow Me on Twitter!
jnanster
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jnanster »

Thanks Apo, remove them from the inside sounds like a MUCH more sano proceedure.
Thank you
Now to get on my glasses and heat-um-up :shock:
ga-z77-dh3 (great & cheap O/C'er from Gigabyte)
i2600k/16 gigs Kingson 1600 (OC'ed to 4.5Ghz)
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 + (lapped, smok'in deal, 38C idle, 65C loaded)
MSI GTX 660ti Power Edition
Antec 900 case (quiet)
Nova
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Nova »

Ive been a long time reader and a lurker.

Reviews like this just makes me wonder if people actually give thought to their system that they are going to build or just see videos on youtube and imitate it. you may have just used the parts you have on hand but readers will just see it and then copy it thinking if it works for you then it will work for them.

For instance the complain about the cable being too short is a fault of the builder because they choose the power supply. Power supplies with top mounted fans are designed in mind to be mounted at the TOP of the case, that why they have the fan on top. The wires are too short because the start from the window side of the case, i bet if you flip the power supply over as it is designed to be installed you will get an extra 5 - 6 inches of length that will be more than enough to connect the 8pin to the CPU power.

when you use a case that have a top mounted exhaust the power supply should not have a top mounted fan. It should have a front mounted fan. Perfect example are the Antec CP series or the Antec Signature SG-850 850W. This way the power supply do not pull the airflow away from the top exhausts. Many builders fail to notice this because they just want it to look cool and not taking performance into consideration. i learned this after my first 900 and i used the Antec Neo Power Blue 650W #-o

Another quirk i have is that you were too soft on the case and it is a thing that reviews do just so that they can get more on the manufacture good side. I own a 902 after i upgraded from the 900 and it still a PITA case.For instance in order to clean the dust filters you have to remove 24 thumb screws. Yes 24! That is because you have to remove the left side panel (2 thumb screws), right side panel (2 thumb screws),then 8 screws per drive cage (4 on each side). Who wants to go through all that just to clean out the air filters?

Also you hit the nail on the head about the top and rear fan control. Antec fails to realize that when someone finish building their PC they do not want to go behind there for anything especially if its in a nook or under the desk. Antec fails to move the controls up front.

They also fail at HDD mounting. They refuse to change the design all these years. The more serious cases mount the HDDs horizontally so all the cables go out behind the motherboard tray. If Antec only made the case inch wider or not even make it wider as there are plenty of space behind the side panels. I use 7 HDDs inside my 902 and would have loved to use the air duct feature with a push/pull system but the HDD mounting messes this up. If they were mounted on the side then it would have been possible.

Antec refuse to change their ways and charges over $100 or old designs. Even the new Dark Fleet series (DF-30 and DF-85) shown at CES 2010 are lame. Getting to the front dust filters are easier but no dust filter on the side window, and fan controls for rear fans are behind the case. The 902 will be the last Antec case i buy unless they change their design or stop charging over $100.

BTW when did you get your case? My case came with a CPU cut out in the motherboard tray for the cooler retention plate back in December.

My system

Antec 902 (With CPU cut out)
Abit IP 35Pro
Intel Q6600 OC at 3.2GHz
8GB kingston DDR 2
Antec Signature SG-850 850W (CPU 8pin and 24 pin behind the motherboard tray)
Zalman CNPS 9900 (mounted horizontally as it should be in top exhaust cases)
PNY GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3
ZALMAN VF1000
6 Samsung 750 HDD
1Samsung 500 HDD (OS)
Windows 7 X64 Ultimate

all 120mm set to low
200mm set to high
Temps almost never pass 40c when gaming, ~23c idle
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

What I'm taking from your post is that you were dissatisfied with the original 900, so you bought the second version without enough research?
Nova wrote:Another quirk i have is that you were too soft on the case and it is a thing that reviews do just so that they can get more on the manufacture good side.
Not trying to start a flame war here but you inferred that LR gave the 902 a good review to get on Antec's good side. All the problems you list are general PC case things people just get used to. You bought the case after researching it man, not like Antec slipped it into your drink.
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
Nova
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Nova »

Don't worry about flaming as its something common i see on all review sites. Its a discussion so we discuss :)

Your right, these are issues that people "get use to" but years after, one would think the upgraded model would not just be some dust filters, a 8th PCI slot, and external fan controls for over $100.

Main reason i got the 902 to replace the 900 was for the dust filters which do a good job of keeping out the dust. Oh the many horror stories of cleaning out the dust caught in the Zamlan VF 1000 and the Zalman CNPS 9900 with Qtips and air dust cans. About every 2 months i had to break the system down and clean everything out, a PITA when it comes to the HDD cages as they were all used. Had to disconnect the fan bracket from the cage, remove all the HDDs from the cage. After a while i started using pantyhose as dust filters, which was both a laugh and a blessing as they worked well enough so i didnt have to break it down every 2 months. But for a while the front of my 900 looked like a mugger :lol: .

I did my research before i got the case which is why i waited until December. I try my best not to buy any first models off the assembly line as i learned before with the original 900 PCI issues. The only reason i got this case was because i got it for under $100 which what it should be. Charging over $100 for something like this is a bit much.

The other case i was considering getting besides this was the HAF 922, but once again it was going to be the 900 all over again due to no dust filters which is a dumb move on the design team. Other than that the case was acceptable.

I do think the review was too soft similar like how 3Dgameman does his reviews. He rates almost everything good and what i notice is that manufactures usually revise their products based on reviews. Now i do not know if there are different reviews such as one for the public view and one summited to Antec for their personal "what should i change list". I say this because 3dgameman mentioned the case did not have a CPU hole and then a few months later there was a CPU hole in the case.
Antec has included washable air filters located just behind the faceplate of each HDD cage. Two come with the Antec Nine Hundred Two and are very easy to service. You won’t need to disconnect power or data lines in order for you to remove these filters, simply unscrew the thumb screws attaching the drive bays to the case and slide the by forward. Very slick
That quote is what really made me sign up and comment because i do not know how removing 20 thumbscrews to wash out 2 dust filters is very easy to service.

Something that was not mentioned was the grounding issue on the front IO ports, I remember my 900 had it where i could not connect anything to the front USB port and use the front audio jacks at the same time or there would be a buzz in the sound. The issue sometime comes and goes with my 902. Things like this is something that should be included because people buy products based on reviews.

But all in all, for the sub $100 i paid im happy with the case, if i was an unsuspecting reader that just read this review like many other reviews that do not touch on certain points and paid over $100 i would be very upset.

Most of my comments are for the unsuspecting crowd out there that thinks the case is awesome, which it is but not without flaws.
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Yeah I agree about the dust filters, I've used the 900 and 902 in several builds for our customers. Its one of the big reasons why I bought the Antec P-180B over the 900. I never really followed the instructions that come with the cases though, so for the builds I've done for friends I usually only secured 2 out of the 4 thumbscrews per section on the hard drive/fan bays, made for a LOT less service time when they inevitably do something to their PC. BTW great idea on the pantyhose, I'll have to remember that one!
I will say this though, I'd much rather have thumbscrews than some of those tool-less plastic bits! Some of the manufacturers out there seem to be smoking crack thinking that they'll work for the initial build and then some. Anyway I do understand about the grounding issue, and it sucks that your particular case had the problem. Glad we do have these forums though, through our grievances with our technology we really do get to change things here and there. It's a good feeling to know you're being listened to! :supz:
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

@ Nova - LR is looking for writers if you feel you have a critical eye and can express it in writing. Reviewing items is not always easy and takes more time than you would expect but can be rewarding.
Joe
Nova
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Nova »

I would love to be a writer but im a very harsh critic when it comes to customer experience. Some may not like that too well as there will mostly be more negative than positive views when it comes to price VS performance in my review. :)
Last edited by Nova on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Nova wrote:I would love to be a writer but im a very harsh critic when it comes to customer experience. Some may not like that too well as there will mostly be more negative than positive views when it comes to price VS performance in my review. :)
Well, this is Legit Reviews...if there are faults, they are expected to be called out as are the good points. I'm big on the customer experience too but you can't always ding people for that if their peers are no better. There's nothing wrong with being critical as long as it is done with fairness and without bias.
Joe
Nova
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Nova »

How about revised reviews, are there reviews that rereview products over a period of time sort of a 1 month after update.

I guess i wouldn't hurt to try, ill take a shot at the chance to review, if this was only ATX i would be in.
Mini-ITX Reviewer (Cases, motherboards, coolers & anything ITX related)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Nova wrote:How about revised reviews, are there reviews that rereview products over a period of time sort of a 1 month after update.

I guess i wouldn't hurt to try, ill take a shot at the chance to review, if this was only ATX i would be in.
Mini-ITX Reviewer (Cases, motherboards, coolers & anything ITX related)
With only one full time staff member and over 300 in-depth reviews a year that just isn't possible. Right now we have 45+ things waiting to be reviewed, so due to time constraints once a review is out the door it is done. Sorry!

Like others mentioned we have an open call looking for more reviewers, so if you know of anyone that has time to do something like this please let us know and we will snatch them up.
Follow Me on Twitter!