StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty Begins Closed Beta Testing!

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
Digital Puppy

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty Begins Closed Beta Testing!

Post by Digital Puppy »

Blizzard Entertainment Begins Closed Beta Testing of StarCraft(R) II: Wings of Liberty(TM)
StarCraft_2.jpg
StarCraft_2.jpg (35.4 KiB) Viewed 8334 times
IRVINE, Calif., Feb 17, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Blizzard Entertainment announced today that the closed beta test for its highly anticipated real-time strategy game, StarCraft(R) II: Wings of Liberty(TM), has begun. Thousands of gamers around the world have started to receive invitations from the company to participate in the first phase of the beta test. In addition to providing feedback on the multiplayer balance of StarCraft II, testers are also getting a first look at Blizzard Entertainment's revamped Battle.net(R) service, which will be the online platform for StarCraft II, World of Warcraft(R), and future Blizzard Entertainment(R) games.

"Gathering concentrated feedback from our players is an important step for us as we head into the final stretch of development for StarCraft II and the new Battle.net service," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "We look forward to having our players' help in polishing the overall experience and preparing for launch."

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty is the sequel to Blizzard Entertainment's 1998 hit StarCraft, which has been hailed by players and critics worldwide as one of the top real-time strategy games of all time. Sporting a vibrant new 3D-graphics engine, StarCraft II will once again center on the clash between the protoss, terrans, and zerg, with each side deploying legions of veteran, upgraded, and brand-new unit types. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty is currently slated to ship in the first half of 2010.

In addition, Blizzard Entertainment will again offer unparalleled online play through Battle.net, the company's world-renowned gaming service. A new version of Battle.net will be launched alongside StarCraft II with several enhancements and new features to establish it as the premier online gaming destination for Blizzard gamers.

For more information on StarCraft II and the beta test, please visit the official StarCraft II website at http://www.starcraft2.com. To set up a Battle.net account and sign up for a chance to participate in the StarCraft II beta test, please visit the official Battle.net website at http://www.battle.net.

About Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.

Best known for blockbuster hits including World of Warcraft(R) and the Warcraft(R), StarCraft(R), and Diablo(R) series, Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. (http://www.blizzard.com), a division of Activision Blizzard (NASDAQ: ATVI), is a premier developer and publisher of entertainment software renowned for creating some of the industry's most critically acclaimed games. Blizzard Entertainment's track record includes eleven #1-selling games and multiple Game of the Year awards. The company's online-gaming service, Battle.net(R), is one of the largest in the world, with millions of active users.
Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.
KnightRid

Re: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty Begins Closed Beta Testing!

Post by KnightRid »

I think you will have to be someone in the industry or else molesting one of the developers to get a key for this one.

Most closed betas seem to never pick John Doe for testing :( or Mike's for that matter :p

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

KnightRid wrote:I think you will have to be someone in the industry or else molesting one of the developers to get a key for this one.

Most closed betas seem to never pick John Doe for testing :( or Mike's for that matter :p

Mike
Well, you never know who is lurking on our boards... 8)

Do you have your Battle.Net account set up? O:)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Digital Puppy wrote:
KnightRid wrote:I think you will have to be someone in the industry or else molesting one of the developers to get a key for this one.

Mike

Yep - for some reason I had to re-sign up though, kinda goofy. Ran the windows file and submitted the info. Kinda sux you can only submit 1 computers infor though. I did it for this one, the Q6700 with the 8800gt in it. Maybe I should have done the corei7 with the gtx260, dunno.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

KnightRid wrote:
Digital Puppy wrote:

Mike

Yep - for some reason I had to re-sign up though, kinda goofy. Ran the windows file and submitted the info. Kinda sux you can only submit 1 computers infor though. I did it for this one, the Q6700 with the 8800gt in it. Maybe I should have done the corei7 with the gtx260, dunno.

Mike
Pretty sure the Beta is associated with the Battle.Net account. You can access the B.n info from any computer so you should be able to play from whatever computer you want. You will only be able to play one game per account, though.
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

8)
StarCraft2_Beta_sm.jpg
StarCraft2_Beta_sm.jpg (49.72 KiB) Viewed 8254 times
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

can I just say, you suck :finga:

LOL

Mike

checking battle.net........nope, nothing #-o ](*,)
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

KnightRid wrote:can I just say, you suck :finga:
You have no idea how bad I am at this game....

Some screenies while you wait for your invite:
SC2_beta_1.jpg
SC2_beta_1.jpg (36.98 KiB) Viewed 8249 times
SC2_beta_2.jpg
SC2_beta_2.jpg (54.58 KiB) Viewed 8249 times
SC2_beta_3.jpg
SC2_beta_3.jpg (50.35 KiB) Viewed 8249 times
SC2_beta_4.jpg
SC2_beta_4.jpg (58.04 KiB) Viewed 8249 times
SC2_beta_5.jpg
SC2_beta_5.jpg (53.79 KiB) Viewed 8249 times
SC2_beta_6.jpg
SC2_beta_6.jpg (64.26 KiB) Viewed 8249 times
SC2_beta_7.jpg
SC2_beta_7.jpg (58.25 KiB) Viewed 8249 times
djpinc19
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by djpinc19 »

ill be honest, im not looking forward to Starcraft 2, but the mods that will be created. i took a preview at my friend playing beta today and to me it looks like an updated version of the first. unfortunately, there is nothing groundbreaking the rts genre anymore
Sapientun
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sapientun »

djpinc19 wrote:ill be honest, im not looking forward to Starcraft 2, but the mods that will be created. i took a preview at my friend playing beta today and to me it looks like an updated version of the first. unfortunately, there is nothing groundbreaking the rts genre anymore
Personally, I like how SC2 is turning out to be a revamped and improved SC.

DOW2 tried to take DOW to the next level by making some rather big changes, supposedly to renew the RTS genre. I didn't like it, and I still prefer playing DOW instead.
Krab
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Krab »

djpinc19 wrote:ill be honest, im not looking forward to Starcraft 2, but the mods that will be created. i took a preview at my friend playing beta today and to me it looks like an updated version of the first. unfortunately, there is nothing groundbreaking the rts genre anymore
Yup, hopefully they can recreate popular maps like DotA and ORPG's from WC3. Wish I had a beta key :(
Sapientun
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Sapientun »

Krab wrote:
Yup, hopefully they can recreate popular maps like DotA and ORPG's from WC3. Wish I had a beta key :(
Same here. I guess we'll have to wait till the final version comes out. 8)
Dark_Hawk_101
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Dark_Hawk_101 »

Ihave multiple acocunts and not one of them got the beta key. UGH. My friend got it and won't share. He says it isnt as good though, i hate w8ing for the ifnal version T_T
KPOP IS MY LIFE :prayer:
Why are we in Iraq when we should be catching voldermort. Nevermind we gotta catch all the PokEmon xD
Digital Puppy

Post by Digital Puppy »

Well, I suck at all things RTS, and SC2 is no exception.

I didn't really play the original StarCraft, but we got some computer time when we were at BlizzCon 09, and it looked pretty fun. So far, I'm liking it and can see how it will sell millions and millions of units. I'm wondering what kind of mods are going to be out there too...not that it will help my suckage....

BTW, new patch is out:

StarCraft II Beta Patch 2 (version 0.4.0.14133)

The latest patch notes can always be found on the StarCraft II Beta General Discussion forum.
SC2Beta_Patch.jpg
SC2Beta_Patch.jpg (42.32 KiB) Viewed 8210 times
Balance Changes

•Terran
-Banshee
=Cloak: This ability no longer requires Fusion Core to research.
-Barracks
=The build time for this building has decreased from 65 to 60.
-Factory
=The build time for this building has decreased from 65 to 60.
-Reactor
=The build time for this building has decreased from 40 to 25.
-Reaper
=The build time for this unit has increased from 30 to 40.
=Nitro Boost: The build time for this upgrade has increased from 90 to 100.
-Starport
=The build time for this building has decreased from 55 to 50.
-Tech Lab
=The build time for this building has decreased from 30 to 25.

•Protoss
-Mothership
=The build time for this unit has increased from 120 to 160.
=The food cost of this unit has increased from 6 to 8.
=The number of shots fired by this unit has decreased from 8 to 6.
=The shield of this unit has decreased from 400 to 350.
=The health of this unit has decreased from 400 to 350.
=The acceleration of this unit has decreased from 1.3125 to 0.3125.
=The deceleration of this unit has increased from 0 to 1.
-Nexus
=Chrono Boost: The duration of this ability has decreased from 30 to 20.
-Zerg
=Corruptor
=The damage done by this unit has increased from 12 (+8 massive) to 12 (+10 massive).
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Still no key :p

People want to play this so bad, they actually have a hacked together version out already *sigh*

Mike