kind of a dumb question

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
monte
Legit User
Legit User

kind of a dumb question

Post by monte »

i have a question im building my first computer and i igot my power supply the other day. i am not gonna be able to get everything for atleast another month or so , but i do have the mobo and ram. my question is this if i take the power supply out of the box and plug it into the wall should the fan and led's turn on or does it have to be all hooked up to the mobo ?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: kind of a dumb question

Post by bubba »

Does it come on for just a second, or come on an stay on?

If it stays on, there could be something wrong with it. Call the tech line for the company that made it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
monte
Legit User
Legit User

Post by monte »

with the power supply sitting on my table not plugged into anything but the wall there are no led's or fan i gues im wondering if it needs to be under a load to work
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

monte wrote:with the power supply sitting on my table not plugged into anything but the wall there are no led's or fan i gues im wondering if it needs to be under a load to work
It wont come on by itself. It needs to be connected to the motherboard and then when you press the power button on the case/motherboard it will power on.
You could power it on using a paper clip. Just short out the black and green cables on the long power connector. Best to have the psu unplugged, then position the paper clip into the connector first before plugging in.

monte
Legit User
Legit User

Post by monte »

thank you very much that did it atleast know i feel comfortable