Ubisoft Online DRM: It's Worse Than Expected

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

what a bunch of BS... This is stupid.
It looks like Ubisoft's new online DRM scheme is going to be even worse than we thought: Gamers will need a constant internet connection to play Assassin's Creed 2 on the PC and if it drops, so does the game.

Ubisoft announced in January that as part of its ongoing effort against piracy, all of its future PC releases would require gamers to connect to the internet and log in to Ubi.com in order to play. Trying to sell the scheme as a positive move for gamers, the publisher pointed out that it would allow players to install their games on an unlimited number of PCs and access their saved games from any of them, because saves would be stored remotely. "We think most people are going to be fine with it," Ubisoft's Brent Wilkinson said. "Most people are always connected to an Internet connection."
source
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Ubisoft Online DRM: It's Worse Than Expected

Post by pwcmed »

I guess I wont be playing this game.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Give it a day or two, the usual groups will have cracks out for this game. After the buying and finishing the 1st one I don't know that I really give a s**t how it ends. Something makes money expect them to milk the franchise to death. Bioshock 2 anyone?
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

Lol wow.... That's so stupid. Are they trying to be like Steam where you can only access your games by logging into Steam? Steam's actually good with it and stuff...
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

geokilla wrote:Lol wow.... That's so stupid. Are they trying to be like Steam where you can only access your games by logging into Steam? Steam's actually good with it and stuff...
Even steam has an offline mode though.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Cripes...I won't buy this game until this restriction is officially removed. Once again, the corporate answer to piracy punishes the honest customers rather than curbing dishonest behavior. ](*,)
Joe
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

My wife bought me the 2nd one for Christmas for the PS3. I still havent finished the first. All the damn building climbing to get to a perch that shows me things I just walked past kinda pisses me off, so I cant play it continuously ;)

OT - Dragon's Age was pretty cool but i never EVER made anything with all the crap I collected.

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

When I saw they were using the new DRM to force the connection, I was certain that FarCry 2 was my last UB game for the PC.

Still on the fence for TMNT smash up for the Wii my boy wants.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

And this was already defeated before the game was released. I don't know if the save games work since Ubi wants to store that file on their server. Point being, I don't care how much crap you put in place to stop piracy the pirates will be one step ahead. Think iPhone and the 15 year old kid.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

The whole, if it the connection drops, so does the game thing is stupid. Other than that I can understand thier reason and as long as they arent doing anything with my connection so be it. The bad apples (which is like everyone) have spoiled it and here is the effect. If this is what they are going to, I dont think its that bad. I think there should be a time out period if your connections drops or something. Its like at work: If your bosses job is to bitch and complain and point out all the bad things, if this is the worst he can do then, meh.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Irony, the pirates cracked the DRM already, and Ubisofts DRM servers went down so no one could connect or play legitimately.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 010838/p/1

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

Man Ubisoft is screwing its paying customers. I cursed there name after Far Cry 2, which was terrible.
Last edited by pwcmed on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

The only thing DRM accomplishes is tarnishing the image of PC gaming. Piracy will always exist on all platforms. Putting in strict DRM, delaying the PC version, and pulling a bunch of other stunts like that will only damage the PC platform. Some say piracy is killing (or has already killed) PC gaming, I say it's the fault of the publishers. How about focusing on better marketing for PC titles instead of breaking your own games? These guys are just plain idiots.