Possibly a DOH! Moment?

Discuss cases, PSUs, and various cooling techniques in here.
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Possibly a DOH! Moment?

Post by deleted »

I got excited when I saw this power supply on Newegg this morning for $30 after rebates/codes etc.: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817152028

BUT I forgot to check the dimensions of my case to see if the PSU would fit!!! Here's my case: http://www.eagledirectusa.com/servlet/t ... ith/Detail

So, will this PSU I already ordered fit correctly? and if not can I position it on the bottom of the case? IDK any help?
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Possibly a DOH! Moment?

Post by dicecca112 »

It'll fit fine, I'd be more worried about the quality of a RAIDMAX power supply than whether its fits
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by deleted »

I've researched RAIDMAX and apparently, according to customer reviews and the company's website, that they make quality products. It'll at least be a better PSU than my 430w no-name.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Evasion wrote:I've researched RAIDMAX and apparently, according to customer reviews and the company's website, that they make quality products. It'll at least be a better PSU than my 430w no-name.
Raidmax is not even close to a quality brand. Low end Andyson or Solytech are possible OEMs. You may see the odd Huntkey, but it is known as crapmax for a reason. ;). They are made with very low quality components. What are the specs of your computer, and your budget, I'm sure we can recommend something that is within your budget and is of high quality.

EDIT, stupid adblock blocked your image sig, so all we need is your budget
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by deleted »

E2220 2.4ghz @ 3.0ghz
2GB PNY 5300 @ 600mhz
XFX 9600 GSO 1gb DDR2 (Clocks in Sig)
ECS MCP73VT-PM

Aww! I asked my momma this morning to buy this for me so I'd pay her back. I can't cancel the purchase now, I was so excited this morning :[! I was just trying to find a 500+ watt PSU for under $50. *curls up into a ball*
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by deleted »

This PSU probably would've been better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817341016
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Yup would have been better with the OCZ but as long as your not overclocking the system and stressing the system too much you should be fine
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by deleted »

My ram is underclocked from 667mhz to 600mhz, and my CPU is only overclocked to 3.0ghz instead of stock 2.4ghz. Hopefully I'll be fine.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

CoolerMaster makes a decent PSU for cheap. I've used it in a few builds without issue and it's quiet.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817171031
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

Evasion wrote:I've researched RAIDMAX and apparently, according to customer reviews and the company's website, that they make quality products. It'll at least be a better PSU than my 430w no-name.
thats crazy that the companys website would say they have a good product.. lol
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by deleted »

Duh.
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by deleted »

I'm worried about the quality of this PSU now. I'm not buying another one or returning this one as it's too late. Can anyone say something reassuring to make me feel better :[
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Uhhh.... It has a ton of voltage on the 5V rail. So if you decide to put this in a PII machine it should be good to go.
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by deleted »

Well it's installed and I'm doing okay for now. Bad Company 2 hasn't crashed on medium settings like it did previously and I've played for 2 hours straight. So I guess that crash was the overclocked GPU not getting enough power from the PSU.

EDIT: AND!!! MY CABLES ARE BLACK NOW! WOOT!
spitter
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by spitter »

dicecca112 wrote:Yup would have been better with the OCZ but as long as your not overclocking the system and stressing the system too much you should be fine

How much is to much?? My i7 is at 4ghz on a 500 watt ocz ps.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Cheap power supplies are cheap and higher wattage because:
1) They use cheap parts.
2) They put more into the aesthetics rather than substance so people will buy them. (Examples: LED fans, acrylic panels, UV cables, etc...)
3) They artificially inflate the non 12V rails to give them the wattage rating. (Example: Very few things these days rely on the 5V rail but cheap/high watt power supplies over inflate the 5V rail so they can reach their 800W!!!!????!!!! sticker that's on the box).

Examples:
Raidmax purchased voltages:
3.3V - 28A
5V - 34A
12V1 - 20A
12V2 - 17A
The cheap Cooler Master I pointed to:
3.3V - 22A
5V - 25A
12V1 - 18A
12V2 - 18A
A quality power supply example - Corsair 550VX
3.3V - 30A
5V - 20A
12V - 41A

If you notice one thing about any good power supply is the unit just works. PC Power and Cooling (before OCZ merger) never had any flashy LED fans or other gimmicky addons. They just worked and they worked damn good.
deleted
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by deleted »

I wasn't in it for the LED. I'd had even preferred one without a LED, but this PSU was only $30. And my overclock isn't going to make my PSU blow up. An E2220 @ 3.0ghz O/C is a good overclock so far with my 2GB 667mhz ram.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I can guarantee you that the reason I didn't have to replace any other parts in my computer when my Corsair TX650 went out in spectacular fashion is because it is a good power supply. Cheap power supplies are known to take out other components if they blow.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Major_A wrote:I can guarantee you that the reason I didn't have to replace any other parts in my computer when my Corsair TX650 went out in spectacular fashion is because it is a good power supply. Cheap power supplies are known to take out other components if they blow.
I can second that. I killed a 650W seasonic psu by getting the ground wire crossed with 5v. when it powered on it melted the cables and then a puff. the psu was blown, but everything else survived
br4dz
Legit User
Legit User

Post by br4dz »

Major_A wrote:Cheap power supplies are cheap and higher wattage because:
1) They use cheap parts.
2) They put more into the aesthetics rather than substance so people will buy them. (Examples: LED fans, acrylic panels, UV cables, etc...)
3) They artificially inflate the non 12V rails to give them the wattage rating. (Example: Very few things these days rely on the 5V rail but cheap/high watt power supplies over inflate the 5V rail so they can reach their 800W!!!!????!!!! sticker that's on the box).
Very true, especially #3. Something else to add onto that, both low and high quality brands tend to fiddle with multiple +12V rails. Some companies actually use multiple rails, while others just label them as such. Some companies also fail to mention the total amperage on the +12V rails, and instead will leave you with just the amperage of each rail or the total wattage for the rails (and some people don't know that total +12V wattage / 12 = amperage across all the +12V rails). Such marketing techniques are far from new in the tech business, or any business for that matter.