Vista problems

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Vista problems

Post by smack323 »

ok I "fixed" a friends Vista machine last week. Basically just got rid of virus/spyware. well he text me today and said his computer no longer works. This is a day after i had set the first virus scan. (I didnt have time when I was over). I think a virus might have messed with the registry and when it was removed crashed the system. I just wanted to see if you all might think the same.. I dont have anymore info as to what is happening. He is going to drop it off to me and i will check it out further. I am hoping all i will need to do is a repair install of Vista.

Secondly- he was thinking about upgrading to Win7- I have an extra copy I can install for him. I am wondering if i just do an upgrade install with the Vista being corrupt if it will still work and let me skip the whole Vista repair.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Vista problems

Post by Major_A »

It's likely the virus attached itself to a system file or twenty and when the program removed it from the PC it borked the install.

Can you run a full install of Win 7 or is it an upgrade only disc? I would format the drive and only install 7 if you can.
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

I can do a full install - but i was hoping to keep all the apps and data
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

The problem is that the apps and data might be the problem (or a nastly little rootkit hiding out). My experience is that the best way to clean a virus infected system is usually a clean wipe and re-install. Backup the "data" (i.e. pics, documents, non exes) and scrub the drive. You will most likely spend much less time re-installing than you will trying to fix a serious infection.

My 2 pennies
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

You have to launch the 'upgrade' installer from inside the old OS, so I don't think you'll be able to get away with upgrading it anyhow.

Slave the drive, and save the data, then flatten and re-install.

Stick a few decent security programs on there, give it him back then tell him to re-install everything because he should have been more careful with what he went on :snakeman:

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

From my own "my computer doesn't work" experiences lately I'll lay 10:1 that he has Limewire installed. I'm about to add all limewire links these people's host file. Do them and people like us a favor.
areos
Legit User
Legit User

Post by areos »

Did you ever get a chance to look your friend's computer again?