Intel Core i7-980X Six-Core Processor Extreme Edition Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Intel Core i7-980X Six-Core Processor Extreme Edition Review

Post by Major_A »

This is my own speculation so take it with less than a grain of salt...
If Intel is touting the new 6 core CPU my guess is future CPUs on the top end will have 6 cores. Most things they implement into the EE CPUs become standard in their high end products the next cycle. Examples: Hyper Threading, new instruction sets, new FSB speeds, memory controllers, etc... My whole point here is if you wait 6 months you can probably get a comparable processor for half the price.
Gomeler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Gomeler »

Major_A wrote:This is my own speculation so take it with less than a grain of salt...
If Intel is touting the new 6 core CPU my guess is future CPUs on the top end will have 6 cores. Most things they implement into the EE CPUs become standard in their high end products the next cycle. Examples: Hyper Threading, new instruction sets, new FSB speeds, memory controllers, etc... My whole point here is if you wait 6 months you can probably get a comparable processor for half the price.
Of course. Some people just don't like waiting. I personally am saving every penny but also waiting to see if the chips get any better. Current stepping(b1) isn't as good as a0 for extreme overclocking. Hoping for a C0/C1 revision like C0->D0 with Bloomfield.
3DMark06 Addict

vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

How does the stock cooler compare to others on the market? I'm interested in the Cooler Master V10 because it can clear the Corsair Dom. memory slots. How much difference do you think I would get at all cores running 100% overclocked. Would be a nice follow up to the main review.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

vbironchef wrote:How does the stock cooler compare to others on the market? I'm interested in the Cooler Master V10 because it can clear the Corsair Dom. memory slots. How much difference do you think I would get at all cores running 100% overclocked. Would be a nice follow up to the main review.
With dozens if not hundreds of CPU coolers it's hard to pick just one and do a follow up. I'll see if I can post some numbers here on the forums for you though... I'll have to see what coolers I have here though as I do mostly water or stock here on the test bench.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Thank you :)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Today is the big day for Intel as they have released their six-core Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Processor into the retail market. This means you can now purcahse it inside of pre-built systems from companies like Alienware, CyberPower, MainGear, Dell and others. It also means that you can get this 6 core monster from online e-tailors like Newegg.com from a drop-in replacement for your X58 platform systems. The Gulftown processor carries part number BX80613I7980X and is available for $1099.99 plus $0.99 shipping from Newegg.com.
Follow Me on Twitter!
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

vbironchef wrote:How does the stock cooler compare to others on the market? I'm interested in the Cooler Master V10 because it can clear the Corsair Dom. memory slots. How much difference do you think I would get at all cores running 100% overclocked. Would be a nice follow up to the main review.
Intel DBX-B Cooler and Intel DBX-B Cooler Performance
For a stock cooler, it seems to do pretty well. Much better than the old ones, that's for sure.
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

So I got home from work and read what you said, I used the link ready to order and it's on auto-notify with a catch. Must be ordered with a combo deal. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115223 Looks like it won't be in stock until 3/22/10. Did they sell out or are we getting the run around from Newegg. Is there any where else it is for sale now? Edit: Placed a order from tiger direct. Will be deleiverd 3/23/10. Price: 1099.00 Free shipping.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Don't forget about the awesomeness of Zipzoomfly.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

zipzoomfly ETA: 3/22/10. So does that mean they can't start to ship it till then or if you place a order you will receive it by then? I think no one can ship it out til 3/22/10. Why don't they just make it a pre-order status and ship the chips out when they can. I really don't think there can be a very high demand for a 1K dollar chip.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

ETA is probably when they will be able to go on sale. I imagine that they each probably have 10 chips. I can't see them each having a 1000 of them since the demand probably won't be there after the initial rush to buy them.
Sgt. Bilko
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Sgt. Bilko »

ANyone tried this monster in FSX? Even my i7 gets backed up at 4ghz. At a busy airport(payware quality) with a payware plane(I realize this is worst case scenario, but that's all that's left to get running smooth) I only get like 7-10 fps. The two cores should help, but i am curious as to how much.
Case: CM ATCS 840 - EVGA x58 SLI - CPU: i7 940 C0/C1 (4.0gHz) - Noctua NH-U12P - BFG GTX 280 - Corsair HX1000 - 6GB DDR3 Patriot PVT36G1600ELK
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Is FSX that heavily multi-threaded?

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Sgt. Bilko
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Sgt. Bilko »

No but through patch it can use multi-threading (not well balanced but used none the less) and is HEAVILY cpu limited. I am sure it would be an improvement, but was just curious as to how much of one.
Case: CM ATCS 840 - EVGA x58 SLI - CPU: i7 940 C0/C1 (4.0gHz) - Noctua NH-U12P - BFG GTX 280 - Corsair HX1000 - 6GB DDR3 Patriot PVT36G1600ELK
bratboy
Legit User
Legit User

Post by bratboy »

Well have one of these on the way. Currently I have a CoolerMaster V8 on my old i7. Do you think the fan that comes with the new CPU is about the same? Have thought about trying to do some sort of WC but honestly scares me a bit LOL
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

bratboy wrote:Well have one of these on the way. Currently I have a CoolerMaster V8 on my old i7. Do you think the fan that comes with the new CPU is about the same? Have thought about trying to do some sort of WC but honestly scares me a bit LOL
I would guess the CM V8 is a tad better, but the stock fan isn't all that bad for being from Intel.

As for water cooling... I've began using water cooling on my PC again over half a year ago and love it.
Follow Me on Twitter!
bratboy
Legit User
Legit User

Post by bratboy »

I was considering maybe trying the Corsair H50:

http://www.corsair.com/products/h50/default.aspx

It looks pretty simple or is there another you might recommend?
bratboy
Legit User
Legit User

Post by bratboy »

Out of curiosity are there any new MB's out that really compliment this CPU? Right now I have a P6T Deluxe V2 as its been reliable but since its going to be a job of pulling the MB out no matter what if there is a better MB option out there I'd be interested. One of the few "Features" on my P6T I like is that it has 3 mid board USB connectors so I'm able to actually hook up all 6 front panel ports.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I still use the P6T Deluxe V2 as the test bench here and it's a solid board... I see no reason to upgrade it unless you have an unlimited budget and want a board with integrated USB 3.0 and SATA III 6Gbps.
Follow Me on Twitter!
bratboy
Legit User
Legit User

Post by bratboy »

Apoptosis wrote:I still use the P6T Deluxe V2 as the test bench here and it's a solid board... I see no reason to upgrade it unless you have an unlimited budget and want a board with integrated USB 3.0 and SATA III 6Gbps.
Well no USB 3 devices yet and all my 1T drives are WD Greenies so SATA III isn't really an issue. Cpl questions tho. I posted a link earlier to a self contained WC CPU item that Corsair sells. Any opinions on it, especially in comparison to the V8 I currently have. With my 765 running the memory in XMP mode, Bclk 143 and multi at x23 I'm getting temps of:

CPU - 40, Cores 1 -8 are all running around 32-35 with just casual browsing

Also the goop that comes with the CPU, is it better than Arctic Silver 5 or is there a better compound out these days I've missed?