Which would you rather have on your next system

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!

Which technology would you rather have on your next system

ATI Eyefinity & Stereoscopic 3D
40%
NVIDIA PhysX & 3DVision
36%
Don't Care
23%

Total votes: 47

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Which would you rather have on your next system

Post by Apoptosis »

Which technology would you rather have on your next system
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Which would you rather have on your next system

Post by XstollieX »

Might want to include the stereoscopic 3d on ati as well which is becoming available in 10.3
skier

Post by skier »

i dont really care about the features that much (aside from Folding) i just want the most performance i can afford(likely ATI)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I think I like ATI's eyefinity implementation better, but I certainly won't be buying another 24" monitor to use it, and get the feeling it's going to have even less of an install base than SLI/XFire users.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

Nvidia just based on PhysX alone, since that has potential for gameplay features. The problem with Eyefinity is the gap in between the monitors. That's just too distracting for me.
djpinc19
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by djpinc19 »

i had a table discussion about eyefinity's features with my friends the other day

we all agreed it could give in edge in fps games by improving the peripheral vision of the player and flat-out make racing games more immersive. furthermore, we all agreed that 3D vision technology is still in the enthusiast range for gaming
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Do they make bevel free monitors? Otherwise I would never have any desire for a multiple monitor setup. You are sitting too close to the monitors for it not to bug the hell out of you.
Sgt. Bilko
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Sgt. Bilko »

I don't really know why, but I have always felt I get better performance from nv products. Only had 2 ATI cards and both were defective...could've just been MSI though so I would be open to whoever was on top at the time of purchase.
Case: CM ATCS 840 - EVGA x58 SLI - CPU: i7 940 C0/C1 (4.0gHz) - Noctua NH-U12P - BFG GTX 280 - Corsair HX1000 - 6GB DDR3 Patriot PVT36G1600ELK
hapyman
Legit User
Legit User

Post by hapyman »

I've kind of always stuck to Nvidia with the older generation cards but not sure this time around. Either way I don't find either of these technologies too appealing to me yet. The Bezels are definitely a distraction so it would probably take a special monitor and a heftier price tag which further limits the attraction. I guess a three monitor setup would not be too bad so the bezels are located in the peripheral vision but still.
slugbug
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by slugbug »

Nvidia and 3D Vision for me.
UpskirtHeaven
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by UpskirtHeaven »

i like nvidia so ill choose any nvidia technology.
xilocient
Legit User
Legit User

Post by xilocient »

Don't really care about 2.5D for the moment.
For games, as i might think about it when more developers design for multi screen support.
Other than that, as far as i can tell, ATI and NV are equivalent for 2D multi-monitor, though ATI has the advantage for shear number of cards.
MarcN5
Legit User
Legit User

Post by MarcN5 »

I'd go with ATI as it stands today. While the NV GTX480 has impressive stats, it hasn't really been field tested yet. And even in reviews like Nate's reviewhttp://www.legitreviews.com/article/1258/1/, it's clear there are heat & power issues.
That being said, I'm curious about the PhysX & 3D that NV's rolling into their API.
In the end, the longer the ATI/NV battle rages on, the better off we all, since the fallout for consumers is more horsepower & features for the buck.
Intel Core i5-3570K, MSI Z77A-GD65, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3, Intel 320 Series 80GB SSD, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo cooler, Antec Three Hundred Two case, OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w PSU, WD 2TB HDD, Win7 (x64) Pro
MrDisco
Legit User
Legit User

Post by MrDisco »

put me in the don't care category. i would much rather see top level performance with an emphasis on low heat output and low power draws.
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

Ultimately performance and reasonable heat and power levels are most important, but I do think physics calculated on GPU is going to be very important in newer games.
crowTrobot
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by crowTrobot »

I have 3D Vision now and I love it. Plus, there is now 3D Vision Surround (although its only in SLI but it is backwards compatible with GTX2** cards via latest drivers, 3D Vision is pretty intensive anyawy that you'd need two cards if you want to have PhysX as well).
taichi135
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by taichi135 »

ATI Eyefinity. Mainly because multi monitor support is what I'm after. Aside from that, I'm an ATI/AMD fan! :)
"Windows is a 32-bit patch to a 16-bit GUI for an 8-bit operating system written for a 4-bit processor by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1-bit of competition"
eden999
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by eden999 »

neither, i don't think that these technologies are necessarily worth the premium at the moment
lolwut
Legit User
Legit User

Post by lolwut »

Well I currently have 5850 so I'll go with the ATI stuff seeing as I'm not going to be upgrading my GPU any time soon anymore.
Krab
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Krab »

eden999 wrote:neither, i don't think that these technologies are necessarily worth the premium at the moment
I agree, but my choice would be with nVidia because of the physX that may get some more use in the future.