The smallest Blu-ray Home Theater: Intel core i3-540 HTPC

Discussion about Intel CPUs and overclocking. Need help with that new Intel processor? Not sure which one is right for you? Like to void your warranty? This is the place for you! Please keep the topic on Intel Processors!
alek_chen
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

The smallest Blu-ray Home Theater: Intel core i3-540 HTPC

Post by alek_chen »

During Chinese New Year, I went back to Taiwan for vacation.
Playing "Mah-Jongg" is a must in our culture, this is also the only chance I can "gamble" legally under my parents' permission :- )
While I am trying to win some money, our bell rings....this is strange, because all delicious foods we ordered arrived already, what else this will be ??
Beyond my expectation, my buddy Shan sends me a package which included one PC case and some system components......is this a gift for me? how generous!!
Then I notice a small note enclosed, it says : "I got these system from an auction with really good price, and exchanged the case for free from an activity I joined online. Since you are coming back to Taiwan for a while and I am going to Australia for honeymoon with my wife, I think you don't mind helping me assemble a brand new PC :- ) " oh, my god, is this what a good friend for ? I should get a gf soon, otherwise, everyone thinks I have nothing to do during my free time !!!
In order to keep our "friendship", I have no choice but help him to assemble the PC... (Shan is so damn right, I start to feel bored after playing Mah-Jongg, watching several videos, and eating ....I really enjoy assembling and testing a new PC! ) Anyway, here is the list of components I received from him:
Equipment:
CPU: INTEL I3-540 (32nm)
MB: MSI H55M-E33
VIDEOconnector supportsD-SUB、DVI、HDMI
Solid Capacitor applied , this enhanced stability~
RAM: Kingston DDR3-1333 2G 2KIT
ODD: LITEON 4X BD-ROM
CASE: IN WIN MARTIX
VIDEO: Batman Begins ( Blueeay disc)
although this MB has Easy OC Switch design, but the efficiency is only 20% more.
Without Intel Turbo boost, I have to use BIOS to justify to 4G (with original CPU cooler, this kind of speed is good enough ! )
installing Power DVD v 8 edition (provided by LITEON DVD )
OK, let's go !
In our house, we have a big screen in basement, my parents love to spend time watching some nice movies there :D
So this is the best place to test the system and watc DVD !
Look, show time for Blueray DVD !
Final thought:
I didn't know that Batman fell into a well in his childhood, and that's why he became a BATman !
oops, sorry, I know no one is interested in my thought of movie, ok back to track.

It is exciting to see the performance of Intel i3 with built-in GPU. It helps save the space and budget of a VGA, the most important is that 45 nm reduces electricity consumption. New GPU is capable of decoding Blueray, which makes the movie go smoothly without any lag. It also means to upgrade a normal home PC to a Home Theater PC! I think it is also perfect for playing online games !
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: The smallest Blu-ray Home Theater: Intel core i3-540 HTPC

Post by hark »

Cool! The case seems like it could be smaller, though. How tight of a fit is it?
JMMD
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by JMMD »

Pretty sweet setup. I would agree about the case thought. Seems like an odd choice for an HTPC. Still, very cool setup.
lolwut
Legit User
Legit User

Post by lolwut »

A real Batman copy?! (kidding)
I agree with above, should have gotten a smaller case too, and using a projector for bluray viewing?

Anyway this is what good friends are for, making you do stuff for them, all is good : )
eden999
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by eden999 »

lol you got put to work =P, btw did you win in majong xD