another noob question

Forum for all the nVidia video cards from the past, present and future!
ricecooker29
Legit User
Legit User

another noob question

Post by ricecooker29 »

Hey everybody,
I need a new computer that can handle modern games and HD video editing with Adobe Photoshop Premiere Pro CS4 and picture editing with Photoshop CS4. Is it really necessary to have a 1 GB DDR3? Or can I get away with 512MB DDR3? Sorry if I do not understand any lingo, I'm a newb to this whole thing. :(
-Batman
FZ1

Re: another noob question

Post by FZ1 »

More like you need 2gb minimum, 4GB would be better.
Joe
timberwolf120
Legit User
Legit User

Post by timberwolf120 »

Assuming you are referring to the video memory because you posted this in the Nvidia forum, I would suggest going with either 512MB or 1GB. But that isn't the way to tell which video card is good.

Which games are you playing and on what size monitor? What is your budget?

I would probably say the lowest card you should go with for gaming would be the 5670. If you can afford something better, I recommend the 5770.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

timberwolf120 wrote:Assuming you are referring to the video memory because you posted this in the Nvidia forum,
Ah, good point. I answered from the "view new posts" view and didn't note the posts location.
Joe
ricecooker29
Legit User
Legit User

Post by ricecooker29 »

timberwolf120 wrote:Assuming you are referring to the video memory because you posted this in the Nvidia forum, I would suggest going with either 512MB or 1GB. But that isn't the way to tell which video card is good.

Which games are you playing and on what size monitor? What is your budget?

I would probably say the lowest card you should go with for gaming would be the 5670. If you can afford something better, I recommend the 5770.
oh yea woops. hahha. Yea I meant the video card memory. But I would like to play games like Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2 and Batman Arkham Asylum and Bioshock 2. I would also be editing HD video with Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 and later CS5 when it comes out later this month.

Thanks for your help.
-Batman
timberwolf120
Legit User
Legit User

Post by timberwolf120 »

I know pretty much nothing about Adobe Premiere Pro so I can't really answer that question. Just my guess after looking at the min requirements on Adobe.com, it doesn't seem like they ask for much from the video card. I would assume that a decent video card will do and most of the performance will come from the cpu for that program. You should wait for an expert opinion because mine is most likely incorrect.

BUT, I can help out with the part concerning video games. A card with 512MB to 1GB is fine. Go for the 1GB if there are two choices and if it isn't that much more expensive. Higher than that is really only useful if you are using a monitor with a high resolution. The main thing you want is a good card. You don't want to get a low-end card like a GeForce 8400GS where they just slapped on 1GB of memory.

What games are you playing? What size monitor are you using or plan to upgrade to? Budget?