LifeSaver Bottle

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

LifeSaver Bottle

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

I am big into emergency response and emergency preparedness. The other day while purchasing a britta water filter for the fridge, I stumbled upon a water filtration bottle, like what you see hikers and bikers carry. It was the first time I had ever seen something like it. Since it was only 20 bucks or so I thought it was innovative and neat, but cheap for what it does. Looking online today to see what else was out there, I think I hit the spot. I found lifesaver's water filtration bottle. I dont want to say too much, but the link below with the video gives a heck of a presentation on it. Im thinking as soon as I get the money (They are $150-$180) I think I will be getting one. For as long as they last, I think its worth having around the house Just in case, or even carry with you on a daily basis.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/micha ... ilter.html

http://www.lifesaverusa.com/

I just thought I would share since we are techy group of peeps. :)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LifeSaver Bottle

Post by DMB2000uk »

lol, no way. I was thinking about this the other day, but had forgotten what it was called, thanks for reminding me :P

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

Yeah, I was about to hit you up to make an order for me, but then I found to do indeed have a U.S. distributor.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I was expecting a bottle full of flavorful hard candies.

I guess clean water is good too though.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
DL13
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DL13 »

I'm going to get on my self when I have the money. Thanks for sharing.
Gigabyte MA790FXTA-UD5 / Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.41Mhz / Mushkin 2X2GB 1333 / XFX 5870 1GB / Cooler Master HAF 932 / Win 7 Pro 64 / ACER G24 LCD 24"
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

I bought one and have it in hand. I got it last night and havent tested it with dirty water yet. Mainly just getting use to how it works.
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

Sorry to add to such an old post but I just watched this because we've been talking about being earthquake prepared here at my house lately. May have to look in to getting some of these for the family just in case of an earthquake.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Wonder if this works like a Brita and cheap vodka. Basically you can buy cheap vodka filter it a few times and it becomes smooth like some Stolichnaya or Grey Goose.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Major_A wrote:Wonder if this works like a Brita and cheap vodka. Basically you can buy cheap vodka filter it a few times and it becomes smooth like some Stolichnaya or Grey Goose.
Haha, that's an awesome idea :-P

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

LOL Believe it has been a topic for discussion a few times already. The manual has in big black bold print "WATER ONLY" Do not filter sugared drinks, carbonized drinks and alcohol. lol

But I was finally able to test it out. There is a pretty nasty stream near where I work, I decided to try it out on my lunch break and sure enough, worked like a charm. I also had my roommate try it out on a random puddle after the storms blew threw last night. He said it tasted better than tap... I can wholeheartedly agree :)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

First time using it from a nasty watersource has got to be a huge leap of faith :lol:

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

We could use it for our tap water. For some reason our water tastes awful. Must be all the boaters/swimmers using nature's toilet (Lake Houston).
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

DMB2000uk wrote:First time using it from a nasty watersource has got to be a huge leap of faith :lol:

Dan
Has anyone heard from Dragon_Cooler lately? :drinkers:
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

HAHAHH

Yeah, I have also used it with our neighbors pond where they keep their turtles. Yummy!!!
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I like the idea of this. I'm considering getting one for my survival pack (don't ask). The 5Gal can is a good idea too, for the family level. Anyway, great find!
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hark »

Sounds awesome. I already have a filter installed in my house and that is mostly where I drink my water, so I can't see the use of it for me.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

With them being activated charcoal whats the shelf life of the filters?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

Well we just had a pretty good earthquake here yesterday. Told the wife when we move in about a month we need to think about getting an earthquake kit together and these are going to be in it.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

bubba wrote:With them being activated charcoal whats the shelf life of the filters?

the charcoal filters are good for about 250liters, but it comes with 4-5 of them. Shelf life of unused is 3 years.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

PUR makes something very similar called the SCOUT. It's for hikers and campers that fits nicely in the backpack. If you found any type of water, it would filter it to drinking a state. One part of it is the hand pump and the other the drinking bottle. I had gotten mine at Dicks Sporting Goods.

PUR Scout Water Purifier
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights