AMD Turbo CORE Technology on Phenom II X6 CPUs

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

This morning we got word from AMD that they would be announcing some more details on AMD Turbo CORE technology, which will be found on select AMD Phenom II Processors. With the AMD Phenom II X6 processor series launching later this month we wanted to cover this new technology as all AMD six-core 'Thuban' processors will have Turbo CORE technology enabled by default.

AMD's Turbo CORE is enabled on a six-core processor when three or more cores are not being heavily used. When Turbo CORE enables three of the processor cores get up to a 500MHz boost in performance, while the three at an idle state drop down to 800MHz. Turbo core mode doesn't disable Cool'n"Quiet, which means the cores can still throttle like normal. When Turbo CORE is enabled the increased voltage goes across all the cores, so no voltage gating is taking place on the remaining cores in an idle state. If you start using a multi-threaded application that calls for more than three physical processors then Turbo CORE disables and all six cores are run at the processors rated clock frequency.
Article Title: AMD Turbo CORE Technology on Phenom II X6 CPUs
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1246/1/
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
skier

Re: AMD Turbo CORE Technology on Phenom II X6 CPUs

Post by skier »

so entry level means...6cores for well under $200 :shock:
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
bmaverick
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bmaverick »

skier wrote:so entry level means...6cores for well under $200 :shock:

A decade ago it was the entry AMD 939 for just under $200.
My heatware!

Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

Jason: "How much does it pay?"
Citizen: "Well, none of our other sheriffs ever lived long enough to find out."
Wavid
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Wavid »

it's a phenom ii x6 or an i5-750 for $200. i'd take an x6 any day.
spitter
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by spitter »

Wavid wrote:it's a phenom ii x6 or an i5-750 for $200. i'd take an x6 any day.

Micro Center i7 930 for $200.
iseeman
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by iseeman »

spitter wrote:
Wavid wrote:it's a phenom ii x6 or an i5-750 for $200. i'd take an x6 any day.

Micro Center i7 930 for $200.
no mate you are wrong 6 cores > 4 cores :finga:
johnniedoo
Legit User
Legit User

Post by johnniedoo »

I have been patiently waiting for one for over a week, maybe 10 day since an april 1 false alarm that they were to be available 4/5. I have the order in but since april fool's day was the announcement, I had suspicions but still held out hope until the last minute when I then heard that the end of the month is the real target. I have the slot on the motherboard open and waiting for it and hope not to be disappointed again.
I read the specs on it here earlier and i actually didnt realize it was the 1090T when I placed the order. I had to read it in a forum after the announced soft release never happened. I agreed with one poster who noted that most power users or enthusiasts would not be interested in the whole technology since my reason and goal for each BE i buy is to try to squeeze out of it as much horsepower as i can generate without burning it up. so the default turbo setting of 3.2 would need to be worked around to try to increase over the 3.6turbo assist speed. But I also read that the multipliers would be locked so how can it be called a BE Turbo? I have not really heard what and I still was anxious enough to put my money down. I will have it on craigslist soon if it isnt what i expected. I have 2 965s one C2 and one C3 in each box(though one is out waiting for the 1090 to go in.)
I got so excited about the release of this Thuban model that I ordered without knowing much about it that was based in fact. I figured there was a market and I might not have a problem with a quick list or auction sale should i not like it or it not meet my expectations. I expected there to be more interest than has been shown though. There is plenty of interest among the enthusiasts but that is to be expected . I have 2 more weeks to wait to see if this release date is kept and am trying to remain patient.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

johnniedoo wrote:I have been patiently waiting for one for over a week, maybe 10 day since an april 1 false alarm that they were to be available 4/5. I have the order in but since april fool's day was the announcement, I had suspicions but still held out hope until the last minute when I then heard that the end of the month is the real target. I have the slot on the motherboard open and waiting for it and hope not to be disappointed again.
I read the specs on it here earlier and i actually didnt realize it was the 1090T when I placed the order. I had to read it in a forum after the announced soft release never happened. I agreed with one poster who noted that most power users or enthusiasts would not be interested in the whole technology since my reason and goal for each BE i buy is to try to squeeze out of it as much horsepower as i can generate without burning it up. so the default turbo setting of 3.2 would need to be worked around to try to increase over the 3.6turbo assist speed. But I also read that the multipliers would be locked so how can it be called a BE Turbo? I have not really heard what and I still was anxious enough to put my money down. I will have it on craigslist soon if it isnt what i expected. I have 2 965s one C2 and one C3 in each box(though one is out waiting for the 1090 to go in.)
I got so excited about the release of this Thuban model that I ordered without knowing much about it that was based in fact. I figured there was a market and I might not have a problem with a quick list or auction sale should i not like it or it not meet my expectations. I expected there to be more interest than has been shown though. There is plenty of interest among the enthusiasts but that is to be expected . I have 2 more weeks to wait to see if this release date is kept and am trying to remain patient.
Yeah, I ordered one too and got the delay notice... I'm excited to see what these can do.

I'm confused by what you are upset about though.... You are asking how can a Black Edition CPU have Turbo CORE?
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
haaaam
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by haaaam »

I've never had an amd system before because I was never felt comfortable enough about the platform but this looks really promising. Only problem is I only game, I don't encode hd video or run benchmarks so I'll have to wait and see if this is indeed worthwhile- especially in regards to the cache on this as games see to respond positively to larger cahces on the intels cpus.
johnniedoo
Legit User
Legit User

Post by johnniedoo »

Does anyone use the turbo tech? I overclock mine with the multiplier to 19 or 19.5 so turbo might not be needed and i disable it. since it would only boost to 3.6ghz and I am at 3.8ghz all the time. my temps do not suffer and i run at mid level power with CPU temp90°, benchmark tests stay under 115° with that speed.
I am not sure it is the best thing but so far it is working fine and i am not full out max load all the time but still benefit from faster speed and not worry about boost. I control all the fans with the controller and have some front/bottom intake and top exhaust off the board's headers the rest from the psu and scythe LCD controller.
skier

Post by skier »

turbo is only for stock clocks, if you overclock it significantly causes instability
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups