Win7 won't enter sleep mode automatically

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
crowTrobot
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Win7 won't enter sleep mode automatically

Post by crowTrobot »

Scenario:
My DX58SO's IOH fan is really loud and has a crazy bright LED so I decided to replace it with a quieter fan from an old 3.5-5.25 mount. Now I wanted to monitor my IOH temperatures when I run stress tests to see what temps I'm reaching so I installed Intel Control Desktop Centre as it is the only program I know that can monitor the NB (maybe there are others). Temps looked fine now I go to bed and wake up in the morning to notice that only my monitor went to sleep and my computer isn't in its normal sleep/hibernate state. I tried clicking on sleep mode to manually put it to sleep and it is working fine. I restarted and went to the bios to restore defaults to rule out motherboard overriding it and still won't enter sleep mode automatically. I disabled network wake and mouse wake and only have keyboard press wake the sleep and still nothing (this shouldn't really matter but all the google results I could find on this problem recommends this, so I had to rule it out).

Any one know what's wrong?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Win7 won't enter sleep mode automatically

Post by Apoptosis »

Are both 4-pin fans?
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
crowTrobot
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Win7 won't enter sleep mode automatically

Post by crowTrobot »

Thanks for replying.

The original fan was a 3 pin fan I attached to the motherboard's 4 pin onboard.

The replacement fan is a 2 pin fan I attached to the IDE power connector directly from the PSU. There is nothing attached to the motherboard's 4-pin right now where I took out the old fan.

EDIT:
I flashed the bios to the latest one and problem is gone. I still have no clear idea what happened though. It doesn't like not having anything connected to that IOH fan connector?