Vista Issues

This is the place to discuss the latest computer hardware issues and technology. Please keep the discussion ON TOPIC!
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Vista Issues

Post by Razorbacx »

A very good friend of mine currently living up in Chicago has started having issues with Vista. Apparently Vista has stopped recognizing his drives. He's performed a fresh install and all worked well, until recently it happened again. He was one of the lucky ones and never had any issues with Vista until this problem. I've not seen this error before and was wondering if any of you have or might know what's going on with his OS. Could it possibly be a bad update from MS? I asked him to check his drivers to ensure that they were all updated and has assured me that they are. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Razorbacx
Don't ask me, cause I know nothing! I'm lost in this world of technology and am barely holding my head above water. Thank the Good Lord for LR, otherwise I would have drowned years ago.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Vista Issues

Post by Major_A »

Sounds like a hardware issue (i.e. a bad IDE/SATA cable). The power going into the drives could've come loose if he moved the PC around. I'd tell him to start by disconnecting and reconnecting everything that has a cable.
stev
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stev »

My wife's Toshiba does this with any printer drivers loaded onto Vista. After three weeks, Vista no longer recognizes there are printers. I have to un-install and then re-install the printer drivers for her. It's a real pain on her machine.
AMD X2 TK-57 1.90Ghz | F700 Quanta | PC2-5300 DDR2 2Gb | GeForce 7000M | DVDRAM GSA-T40N | HP LaserJet 1018
My Stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&u=303718
http://www.eff.org - Electronic Frontier Foundation - working to protect your digital rights
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Razorbacx »

Cabling is not his issue. He can reinstall Vista and everything works well for a few weeks, but then Vista just stops recognizing his drives. Maybe, the problem resides with his optical drives?
Don't ask me, cause I know nothing! I'm lost in this world of technology and am barely holding my head above water. Thank the Good Lord for LR, otherwise I would have drowned years ago.